Author Topic: 1 board for sup and prone surfboard?  (Read 6458 times)

mateo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
1 board for sup and prone surfboard?
« on: October 17, 2009, 11:31:25 AM »
I have surfed for 37  years and am new (6 months) to SUP. I ride a 9' Walden surfboard and a 9'6" AIPA sup board. I want 1 board for both to travel with, can this be made?
 I'm thinking a 9' 28"x4.5" thick board with an outline like my Walden. It has to be not too big so the airlines will take it and not too small ..... I'm 6' tall and weigh 183lbs. (mostly fat and not much muscle)
Before I started SUP, I never would have believed you could really surf a board that wide, so I'm thinking I could prone paddle surf it as well.
Any opinions?
Thanks for all the info I've learned on Stand Up Zone, SUP has got me stoked all over again!

Mateo 

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: 1 board for sup and prone surfboard?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 12:02:20 PM »
Gee, I'm trying to figure out how to get by with only 2 SUPs & 3 longboards. (Please don't talk to my wife) ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 02:19:34 PM »
Certainly, in fact that's probably a little wide. I can SUP paddle my JL 11'7" which I think is 26" wide, and I'm really comfortable on my 12'2" starboard which is 26". I have used both of these boards for longboards--they work fine. I weigh 250, so  if you are substantially less you could easily get to 9' something by 26 or  27", which will be a lot easier to prone paddle than a 28"
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

csx355

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 02:48:01 PM »
I reckon it's do able - check this video out - bear with the windsurf stuff the paddle and surf starts at 3:44. And it's only 7'8 (the Sea Lion is 7'6"). You will not have any problem at 183lbs - I'm just over 200lbs

http://www.youtube.com/v/E7V0hzMvBi4&hl=en&fs=1&
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 03:27:57 PM by csx355 »

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 09:16:52 PM »
If you are six feet tall you can even go up to 30 inches wide and paddle the board fine.  I have prone surfed all my SUPs which are 30" wide and they are a blast.  My boards are also thicker than the one you are thinking of making.  We are the same height and weight.  The boards are not as much fun surfing without the paddle but still fun and doable.  I surf them prone when I show up at the beach and it is too windy.  I hate paddling and surfing SUP in the wind when it is like 15 mph or more.  Maybe you should try and demo some boards before you commit to build.  Those few inches from 26" to 28" or even 30" don't make it that hard to lay down paddle but could make it way harder to stand up on for SUP.  Just relaying my experiences.  Aloha

riverrat

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 03:17:01 PM »
I live over 100 miles from the ocean currently and like the simplicity of traveling with a single board, so finding one board to prone and stand up surf has been kind of a holy grail for me.  I have owned the Starboard 12'2", demoed the JL 11'7", and prone surfed a few of my SUP's, including a 9'6" Lopez and 10" Ron House.  The sup's were too heavy and awkward to paddle for my taste.  So far, the combo board that I like best, by far, is the lowly Surftech 11' softop.  But, at 25" wide, it gets challenging in choppy conditions.  This board is probably too big to travel with at 11".  A two piece version would be cool.  I'd also like to try the Takayama Prince Kuhio.

photosettle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 03:50:44 PM »
Just out of curiosity... why would you want to prone surf your SUP minus the paddle?  The only reason I can think of is wind.  Otherwise, I find the paddle to be an asset on such a big board. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal