Author Topic: Out of the water fitness  (Read 27343 times)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Out of the water fitness
« on: October 09, 2009, 12:59:45 PM »
For those of us who can only paddle two to three days per week, due to geographic or time constraints, what is the best exercise for obtaining the cardio benefits of paddling, along with strengthening (some) of the paddle specific muscles?  Rowing?  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

WB_BB

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Out of the water fitness
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 05:54:26 PM »
I would think that rowing would be a great exercise to throw in there. You also use alot of shoulder, triceps and back so lateral raises and front raises and reverse flies(shoulders) would be great, your core tricep moves and rows and lat pulls for your back. Depending on what kind of time and workout you are looking into. Keeping up your basic cardiowill also be important. Hope this helps somewhat. I don't really know what you are looking to do for a workout but shoot me a PM if you want and I can give you some more around what you are specifically looking for

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 07:14:29 PM »
Skateboard and a Big Stick:  http://www.kahunacreations.com/  -- similar muscles, lots of fun, get to carve.

Kaweeka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 07:53:57 PM »
$$$ Vasa Trainer
(http://www.vasatrainer.com/index.php?page=Vasa%20Swim%20Trainer)

$ TRX Suspension Training
(http://www.fitnessanywhere.com)

I'd go with a skateboard but I hate road rash  ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 08:18:57 PM »
I made my own version of TRX straps for about twenty bucks. Tenty feet of webbing and a couple of buckles. Can't believe they charge 150 bucks for these things, they are nothing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 09:35:35 PM »
Skateboard and a Big Stick:  http://www.kahunacreations.com/  -- similar muscles, lots of fun, get to carve.

AGK,

Thanks... have the big stick and my wife rollerblades while I big stick... it is a blast but it is not quite the difficulty of workout I am looking for... for example, I can only get my heart rate to about 130 bpm going full tilt, whereas in paddilng, I can get it up much higher.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

AGK

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 07:12:25 AM »
Hi Tim -

I know from the 2 months a year I get to paddle in the ocean that it really gets your heart rate up, so land paddling may be really easy for you.  For me, during the 10 months a year I am only near flat water, I have no trouble getting my heart rate up to 150-160 with the big stick on a skateboard, whereas I have to concentrate really hard to get anywhere near that high flatwater paddling (I'm basically lazy).  It's true that hills help a lot. I'd say borrow a skateboard and give it a try, and work a few uphills in.

Andy

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 07:24:54 AM »
Surfing the sup seems to work fine.  But if you want more, go on a paddle pulling around 80% for an hour or two.  Add more time to it if your not completely spent. 
I don't run or do the gym workouts because I want it to be fun.  Maybe narrow minded on my idea of fun, but I believe the sport will shape you for the best results.  Now pull on that paddle, even if it is limited to two or three sessions a week. 
Another fun sport is martial arts, and I find a balance benefit for paddling, less injuries due to stretching.
And of course the ability to kick a. Takes a while to get the good skills. Going toe to toe for 12 rounds is a killer workout.  I had my wife and kids in the classes to.  Family fun.   
The other benefit of a good workout, getting your head in the right place.  Surfing has always made the day better for me.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 06:54:10 PM »
Kettle bell and indian club training seems to work very well also. You strengthen your core and gain some great conditioning with minimal training time. Its seems to target the whole body just like how SUP does I guess thats why it works for me. Alot of mma fighters does this type of training because the power comes from the hips and core muscles.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 10:31:33 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions... i am going to get out on my big stick and really try to keep my HR up on it for those days that I can't get in the water.  I agree with a few of the posts... I like fun in my fitness... Windsurfed my 10 6" Naish for a few hours today (after paddling)... that was fun and quite a workout.

Tim

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 01:12:12 PM »
Big Sticks are fun but an Indobaord is a REAL hard workout but for us here in the Northeast it is good that it is inside (no bad weather issues)

www.indoboard.com I use the Indo Flow Cushion & Std deck with a paddle or a weight bar that adds difficulty It is a PERFECT work out for SUP

We are selling the INDO training setup 20% off the website Just give me an email karabaszJP@aol.com or call me 484 515 5758

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 06:47:08 PM »
12 0z Sierra Nevada Torpedo curls... ;D

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 10:00:15 PM »
Kettle bell and indian club training seems to work very well also. You strengthen your core and gain some great conditioning with minimal training time. Its seems to target the whole body just like how SUP does I guess thats why it works for me. Alot of mma fighters does this type of training because the power comes from the hips and core muscles.

I really like the indian clubs.  What exercises do you do w/ the kettle bells?

bikeski

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 08:49:31 AM »
I love the Kettlebells as well, if you do a search on You tube you will find tons of great maneuvers.  I also add the battling ropes to my workouts, this is a great core and shoulder stability exercise as well.  Check out you tube and you will find many great ideas on these two types of exercise.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »

I really like the indian clubs.  What exercises do you do w/ the kettle bells?

The beauty of kettle bell training is that you can train for a specific sport or be completely creative and design your own type of exercises. I saw a video an older guy took a kettle bell chained it to a strap or rope and dragged it through the sand for more resistance. Another thing is you do not need to train heavy with kettle bells and you do not need a pair of them like dumbells. They do play a big role in conditioning ,speed and stamina not  to mention cst big time. Its the best way to train for balance,form and function. Oh yeah you tube is very informative and it will lead you to other links to websites also.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal