Author Topic: what is the future of stand up paddle?  (Read 8691 times)

NXLVL

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
what is the future of stand up paddle?
« on: October 08, 2009, 02:19:12 PM »
What do you see happening to the sport of SUP? Me?. Id like to see a transatlantic crossing, New york to England. I know it seems far fetched, but is it possible? Take for instance, Zac Sunderland, 17 years old, solo around the world in 36' sailboat, youngest ever to accomplish this feat. My biggest accomplishment before 18 was avoiding a STD. Sorry for the poor humor. Anyway, Id like to hear what you think is the future of SUP.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: what is the future of stand up paddle?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 02:49:47 PM »
Here goes my 2 ¢

I think that the sport will continue to grow at a frantic pace for the next couple of years, with most of the growth coming in the flat water markets.
Then some major corporation(s) will jump on the band wagon - make cheap and very inferior product - pump it out to the masses - kill the sport - and then it will go back to being "us", the core group of people who do it for the love of the sport.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 03:34:59 PM »
I see the hoverboard for water..  ;D

DJ

trainerjon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 03:36:22 PM »
I wrote a blog today regarding my thoughts on the Battle of The Paddle - http://www.suptrainer.com/blog/2009/10/8/jons-thoughts-on-battle-of-the-paddle.html
It is related to what you guys are talking about.  Would love to hear what your thoughts are...
Jon

venice mace

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 04:00:39 PM »
Good blog, Jon.  I liked what you wrote about paddles

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 04:24:53 PM »
The $1,000,000 questiion for sure.  Will board and equipment prices come down? Yes, but so will quality.  Will there be more extreme events?, yes but there will be many more recreational participants. Just like after the failure of Clark foam and a sport wide panic enveloped us, and there was a lot of experimentation in core products, I think there will continue to be experimenting with other materials.
 When there was a move to the mass produced epoxy surfboards the custom board business suffered.  Now I see more and more surfers coming back to thier loacal craftsmen,(as evident in this weekends Sacred Craft Expo)and they are willing to pay for the quality.  So from that I believe we will see ,more and more custom shapers getting involved.  True some will only be in it for the bucks, but the soul and the passion for a finely handmade board built just for you is timeless and priceless. 
It is therefore,  my opinion  that the committed Sup Surfer whether they be wave riders or flat water paddlers or any of the other disiplines. will seek out the best shapers and have boards custom built for them.
In my shop will are already leaning  in that direction.

Zimbo

• Waikiki Status
  • Zimbabwean living in Aus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 05:42:45 PM »
I wrote a blog today regarding my thoughts on the Battle of The Paddle - http://www.suptrainer.com/blog/2009/10/8/jons-thoughts-on-battle-of-the-paddle.html
It is related to what you guys are talking about.  Would love to hear what your thoughts are...
Jon

Great article Jon

Now all I have to do is save up to get all these extra goodies paddles, boards etc.

Randall

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 07:55:38 PM »
The futures so bright in SUP you've gotta wear shades! In flatwater territory it's obvious. We tower above the tubers, rafters and kayakers. They all see us and want to be "up-there" standing up. Even surfers, first thing, they catch a wave and stand-up. Cat sailors want to stand up and get out on a trapeze. Windsurfing would never have taken off if you had to sit down! Imagine sit-down kite sailing? No way, SUP is here to stay!
Aloha,
Randall Barna
www.StandupPaddleFlatwater.com
www.StandupPaddle.Blogspot.com

NXLVL

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 08:04:30 PM »
I like #3. By far, the most important element in our sport!! THE ATHLETE! Will he be bionic, under the influence, or just genetically bred. Maybe we'll see all 3 in our life time. As the sport grows, it will undergo all the growing pains of the more senior sports. I embrace the growth, but oppose the curruption. Cant wait to see the "Tiger Woods" Of SUP.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 08:42:10 PM »
I think we saw the tiger woods of SUP. He finished second in the Elite class at the BOP
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

trainerjon

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 08:50:31 PM »
Jon

Great article Jon

Now all I have to do is save up to get all these extra goodies paddles, boards etc.

hehe yep, I'm saving my pennies for some new paddles and a new board or two :)  
Randall is absolutely right - the future is bright.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 06:30:57 AM »
Timely thread.  I thought that I had the whole thing wired (quiver wise)... cruiser board, all conditions board; super small quad for perfect conditions and waves up to 6 to 8 feet; bigger narrow quad for big days... Paddle for every day, paddle for the bigger days (basically to ensure that I have a spare... but thought that I should get something a lttle different for the spare) ... NOW I need to get a race board... and according to my race board sponsor* I need to get a longer race paddle... geez, when will it stop?  (I hope never).

Tim

* "Race board sponsor" is a really cool way of saying "super cool shaper who let me borrow race boards both days even though I had no idea what I was doing" (Dave Daum of Kings Paddle Sports).
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Evan Lloyd

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 09:15:01 AM »
The future is custom SUPs.  Production boards will always have their place, but guys are going to want something made for just for them.

Evan

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 12:11:41 PM »
There currently is not a board producer or a magazine that is shaping the future, and I feel that is a good thing.  I think the Battle of the Paddle is definitely a leader in organized events, has a lot of influence on where SUP is headed. After the 2008 BOP, there was an arms race to develop a fast flat water board for the masses (which proved to be very difficult). After the 2009 BOP, where wave riding and watermanship (I think I invented that word) were very important, I think the builders will be looking at new criteria for designing a board. If there are going to be more events that test watermanship skills, I think the shapers will be looking for boards that will cruise well, but be able to ride and turn on a wave. Anyway, that’s the kind of board I would like to find.

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 02:33:21 PM »
These are the future of Standup.  No fuss.  No Worries.  Just kids growning up and having fun in the ocean.
Remeber those days guys?

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]