Author Topic: old sport new name  (Read 3772 times)

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
old sport new name
« on: October 03, 2009, 07:22:51 PM »
I think we should call this part of our sport.
Stand UP  Sailing
So it won't be confused with windsurfing .You know where they use footstraps and whine about wind
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

CB1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: old sport new name
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 05:32:44 AM »
LOL, you're going to open up a can of worms!   :)   IMHO, if you put a sail on it, you are windsurfing (regardless if you have straps or not, check out the history of the sport).  So if are attaching a sail, you are joining the windsurfer ranks.

Whine about wind, who would do that?  :D   Kitesurfers, windsurfers, SUPers?  I think we all do, as it is either too much or too little depending on what you are doing at the time!  So we are all whiners! ha ha ha  For me it's all good.  Not enough wind, I LOVE SUP, gets windy, just break out my sail and the board with straps!
supSURFmachines
Longboard 9'2" x 29.5" x 4.25  140L
AC Grande - 8'5" x 31" x 4 3/8  135L
Wide Ripper - 7'8" x 30.75"  105L

jjue

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:03:05 AM »
I think we should call this part of our sport.
Stand UP  Sailing
So it won't be confused with windsurfing .You know where they use footstraps and whine about wind

Not enough wind, I LOVE SUP, gets windy, just break out my sail and the board with straps!

Interesting  comments, for sure !,    This weekend   two of   us were sailing our SUP's   at the local   lake with  gusty  wind  just about the planing threshold ...  Ron , who is    a better windsurfer  then  I  and  was coming back to   windsurfing after taking  a 5 year break   was a bit  frustrated with his inability  to get  his  Sup  to  plane   despite  the wind gusting to    speeds where it should  get on a plane .. we both agreed that it had to do with the  way the surf rocker on  the tails of our SUPs  really  seem to inhibit the ability of the boards to  jump on  a plane compared to the  flatter  tails of  dedicated  windsurf boards ..   Ron likes that feeling of  being locked into the  straps  and rocketing along on a plane in high winds ..  and   I betcha  he will be out on his  slalom  board  the next  high wind winter blow  we get ...

For me  ,   I actually like the way  my   Sup  drags its tail a bit in high winds...  sailing a  surfboard even in higher planing  winds ..  is  different than sailing a performance  
windsurfer in the same winds...  SUP's plane    in higher winds  , but the way our boards  plane is   different then   a dedicated windsurf board. , they do not plane as fast and there is more drag to the tail and less lift . .. for me the joy is to  be able to  sail with one sail even overpowered without  straps  ( or one rear strap to prevent catapaults :)!)   Ponobill  has been   a big advocate   from the beginning   of  how fun  it is  to sail thse surfboards  strapless   in   higher winds ...    I agree.!..
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 07:09:48 AM by jjue »

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 04:42:01 PM »
It's still windsurfing,,,,,,, and for the first time in a long time, I'm actually thinking of adding a mast track to my  JL 10-4, and going strapless.  Up until recently, I've been a purest about this SUP/windsurfing thing, windsurf boards for windsurfing, and SUP boards for SUPing.
I never quit windsurfing, and never went over to kiting, no interest.  But if I were to put a sail on my SUP board, I'd be dropping in on waves that only the kiters can take full advantage of, (the winds being too light for good windsurfing, and too strong with a kite infestation, for sweeping).

Would I be getting in anybody's way?
Naa, no more then when 'real' windsurfing, besides, I'd have no paddle, so I'm not a sweeper.......................... I like it.   8)
It takes a quiver to do that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal