Author Topic: Tandem SUP?  (Read 9067 times)

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
Tandem SUP?
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:21:36 AM »
Anybody even tried?
I mean the board would have to be pretty big, and at some point a canoe would make more sense....but could be worth a couple of laughs....
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
Re: Tandem SUP?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:06:21 AM »
C'mon......don't tell me nobody has even thought this could work?
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 09:27:51 AM »
If you say the word tandem you have to think of Steve and Barrie Boehne at Infinity in Dana Point.  They've been using an old tandem windsurfer they made as an SUP for a couple years now and Steve just mowed out a real tandem SUP that will make it's debut at the Battle of the Paddle.  We're taking distance racing not surfing.  I paddled with them last week and it goes pretty good 2 up.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 12:20:45 PM »
I wonder what the dimensions would be to float adequately for surfing.  I think it would be super fun to surf tandem standing up.  If they can make the boards light enough to carry, it could be very popular in the future.  I was thinking like 12 to 13 feet long and maybe 6" thick with full nose and tail and maybe 34" wide.  With the right builders it could come in at under 40 lbs in epoxy.  Someone has to make one of these.  Cmon Sam, try make one.  It is the future of SUP.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 01:30:35 PM »
I sure hope that's not the future of SUP.  Traditional tandem surfing would be way more fun. 
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
KeNalu Paddles

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 01:52:34 PM »
I tandem SUP'ed on Stoneaxe's 9'-8" Starboard Extremest with my 5 year old son.  Granted he didn't have a paddle, but he was standing for about a mile of flatwater touring.  I wish I had a picture of the little hood ornament posed up there as we cruised along the bay beaches this summer.

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 02:11:20 PM »
I did it all summer long with my kids. Lots of fun!

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 03:36:12 PM »
Right, and I paddlesurf with my dog all the time.  Been doing it for years and even the SUP haters love it.  But two adults with two paddles surfing on a massive board?  Besides, if you have the right partner prone paddling and the traditional tandem moves are way more fun.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
KeNalu Paddles

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 04:56:15 PM »
 My son (Jason Motes) and his step-daughter (Courtney) recently won the tandem event at the Sisiters of the Sea surf contest here in Jax, Fl. They were riding my wife's NSP 10'6" sup board....   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 07:40:51 PM »
It's kind of funny that a new idea like tandem SUP gets scoffed at when the sport that we like (traditional SUP) is a totally new sport in itself.  Prone surfers laugh at SUP surfers because they have never tried and don't know how to do it or don't see how it would be fun.  That is until they break down and finally get thier first SUP board and get hooked.  We should be open minded to a new idea like tandem SUP.  I mean, if prone tandem is so fun why wouldn't it be as much or more fun to catch the wave standing up the whole time.  It would definitely be a little more challenging.  Guys, lets try not to be so negative and close minded or how are we going to innovate anything. 

From my own experience racing OC-1 in huge windswell races, I found that racing in an OC-2 was even more fun and challenging because of the team aspect. 

As for myself, I surf all types of boards and each one has it's own fun and challenges.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 07:52:57 PM »
C'mon......don't tell me nobody has even thought this could work?

It wont work.. IMO .. Unless you're just goofing around.

BTW.. I won a tandem SUP race once and it worked best with my partner laying down with her paddle and didn't even do any  paddling while I stood andd paddled.

DJ

« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:02:06 PM by DavidJohn »

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 09:07:54 PM »
It's not going to work on a board made for one - the board I'm talking about is probably 16' long X 5" thick and it goes pretty good offshore.  You'll be seeing photos posted up soon after this weekend's race. 

I'm not being closed minded - just saying there's enough problems with out of control SUPs in the lineups these days and if you've ever tandem surfed the center of gravity of the board is very critical in any kind of turn.  Usually the person in the back holds the partner around the waist in that sort of manuver prior to the lift.  If you have two people with paddles you're going to need some space on the board which is not really effective in surfing.  It's a free country - if you want o take a monster like that in the surf go have fun, stay far away from the crowd, and just don't get hurt or kill anybody.  Or take it offshore like your OC where you're going straight on a downhill run and have a hoot.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
KeNalu Paddles

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 09:29:46 PM »
It's not going to work on a board made for one - the board I'm talking about is probably 16' long X 5" thick and it goes pretty good offshore.  You'll be seeing photos posted up soon after this weekend's race. 

I'm not being closed minded - just saying there's enough problems with out of control SUPs in the lineups these days and if you've ever tandem surfed the center of gravity of the board is very critical in any kind of turn.  Usually the person in the back holds the partner around the waist in that sort of manuver prior to the lift.  If you have two people with paddles you're going to need some space on the board which is not really effective in surfing.  It's a free country - if you want o take a monster like that in the surf go have fun, stay far away from the crowd, and just don't get hurt or kill anybody.  Or take it offshore like your OC where you're going straight on a downhill run and have a hoot.

You are correct about all the crazy out of control SUPs in the lineup.  I think you need to surf this kind of board where there is no one around like at some remote reefs which is the whole point of SUP anyway.  That "no surfing in crowds" rule also applies to any SUP rider who can't control his board.  I hate surfing in crowds.  For myself, I have a lot of breaks where I surf with only my friends because they are very remote.  You have to admit that it would be fun, hilarious and challenging to try a huge board with two people standing up.  My friend and I used to catch some pretty fun head high rolling waves on a tandem plastic kayak with a foot controlled rudder.  I will definitely try it if anyone makes one of these boards.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 10:10:34 PM »
If you're near Dana Pt stop in and talk to Steve at Infinity - I'm sure he'd even let you take his tandem SUP out.  Otherwise give him a call or e-mail and tell him what you want to do - he'll give you some great feedback.  He and Barrie are former world tandem champions and he's been making the big boards for over 30 yrs.  My first SUP was my Infinity tandem that I had from early 90's and he made me my first custom SUP (based on the Rad Noserider) - still one of the best boards I've ever had for Southern California surf.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
KeNalu Paddles

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 10:30:05 PM »
If you're near Dana Pt stop in and talk to Steve at Infinity - I'm sure he'd even let you take his tandem SUP out.  Otherwise give him a call or e-mail and tell him what you want to do - he'll give you some great feedback.  He and Barrie are former world tandem champions and he's been making the big boards for over 30 yrs.  My first SUP was my Infinity tandem that I had from early 90's and he made me my first custom SUP (based on the Rad Noserider) - still one of the best boards I've ever had for Southern California surf.

I will definitely do that if I am in that area.  I would love to have one of his SUPs.  I am always curious about board design.  I wonder what the dimensions and specs are on his tandem surfing SUP.  Maybe I'll email him and see if I could get some info to post up and maybe some pics.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal