Author Topic: Vacuum Bagging Magic  (Read 9701 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Vacuum Bagging Magic
« on: September 27, 2009, 02:30:48 PM »

I'm very impressed so far. I've done 2 test runs in preparation for doing the real board.

Conclusion so far:

1) Thin bags are easier to work with. Thick is not so good.
2) Masking tape work needs to be very neat. It becomes your enemy when sliding the bag on.
3) Having my rocker stick inside the bag is tough, but I really want to lock in my rocker.

Any experienced baggers want to add or correct anything?

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Vacuum Bagging Magic
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 03:22:49 PM »
WOW thats amazing....

why would anybody glass boards the old way anymore?

???

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 03:38:44 PM »

why would anybody glass boards the old way anymore?

???

It's very expensive and takes lots of extra time. People won't pay high prices for boards.

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 06:12:29 PM »
Aloha Dwight,
I'm very impressed so far. I've done 2 test runs in preparation for doing the real board.

Any experienced baggers want to add or correct anything?
Well I'm surely impressed!!!.........I like when guys try to tackle on a project for the first time........I'm stoked!!!

Conclusion so far:
1) Thin bags are easier to work with. Thick is not so good.
Yes thinner bags are easier to work with........but it "may" cause a problem if to thin!!.........it will tend to leave a bit more wrinkles while under pressure. Now if your peel ply doesn't move then you good........try to leave less wrinkles to avoid problems later.

2) Masking tape work needs to be very neat. It becomes your enemy when sliding the bag on.
I use masking tape all the time to help hold down the peel ply.........and my absorbent material covers my tape.....so I get on hang up. Paper towels is what I use.

3) Having my rocker stick inside the bag is tough, but I really want to lock in my rocker.
Have you thought about putting the board under pressure?.......and then lay the rocker stick out side the bag, and then secure it down to the board (tape, shrink wrap, etc.).........just a thought!   :) :)

Hey how about posting vids on your step by step bagging process...........I would love to view your process.. :)

Aloha........Sam

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 03:34:31 AM »
Have you thought about putting the board under pressure?.......and then lay the rocker stick out side the bag, and then secure it down to the board (tape, shrink wrap, etc.).........just a thought!   :) :)

Aloha........Sam

That way is my backup plan. The only reason I was considering placing the rocker stick inside the bag, is because the Nelson Factory does it that way.

Rocker stick inside the bag may be too advanced for me on my first vacuum bag job. In practice runs it just adds wrinkles to the finished glass job.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 01:43:40 PM »
for windsurfers with 1 or 2 lb foam and a 1/4" divinnycell bottom we used an adjustable rocker table we made.  The base was a steel beam and every few inches we had adjustable (by bolts) risers going to a 4-6 "wide flexible 1/4" plastic.  We placed the entire bag on the rocker table(stick (whatever you want to call it and loaded  sand bags on it for the duration of the bagging.

If your intrested I can get some pics of it.

Ninth Island

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 01:52:19 PM »
Nice to see another believer in the vacuum bagging process. DW make sure you have someone help you with putting the bag on the board, it will help to keep the tape in place. I also stop the pump just before the final draw and work all wrinkles towards the bottom of the board and then switch the pump back on. The strength is incredible of a bagged board. I recently dropped one from six feet onto concrete prior to the hot coat and no damage. Looking forward to seeing your bagged boards.

Aloha, Alex

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 06:42:26 PM »
Aloha Dwight,
What you saw in the video was the installation of the sandwich skin......and that's fine, the rocker stick can go in the bag (I would do it). NO DAMAGE to the board.

But are we on the same page here?........are you doing sandwich? or a regular lay up?......either way can be done with VB, just the rocker stick position will be different.

Hey Ninth Island,
Wow...........your bagging too.......You must have a wealth of knowledge? It would be nice if everyone can share there pics.....so we all can learn......... ;D ;D ;D ;D

I know another guy "Mahana" that knows about bagging also. Maybe he'll chime in!..........Alex, you know him?.......  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Anyway Dwight you got my contact.........if you got any questions.  :)

Aloha..........Sam

Ninth Island

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:02:07 AM »

(Hey Ninth Island,
Wow...........your bagging too.......You must have a wealth of knowledge? It would be nice if everyone can share there pics.....so we all can learn......... ;D ;D ;D ;D

I know another guy "Mahana" that knows about bagging also. Maybe he'll chime in!..........Alex, you know him?.......  ;D ;D ;D ;D)

Yeah some random Hawaiian got me started bagging. What was I thinking?

Mahana... Mahana... Is he a short guy with really long hair? Can't say if I've ever met the guy. LOL

Mahana

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 07:28:50 AM »
You guys are too funny! Been drinking that Pa'e Koolaid fo' too long! lmao

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 07:24:18 PM »
ok one of you guys is in vegas and one is in LA area...right?...LA guy i might want to check out that carbon fber board again... ;D

Mahana

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 11:10:38 PM »
Anytime! Jus let me know when. Gonna build an 8'6" one soon, shooting for 12lbs or less.

heave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 09:03:02 AM »
I like to also use the bag to vacuum form my own blanks with 1.5 lb XPS foam panels.  It locks in a core rocker like a stringer does and there's no twisting.  No need for a rocker table, stick, or even a stringer.  A triple sandwiched XPS core is also very strong, waterproof, lightweight, and has a very smooth riding resonance.  I use 1.5 oz glass between the rough sanded foam sheets and lightly wet it out with a foam roller.  I suppose one could spice up the inner core with hollow chambers, strips of carbon, Kevlar,etc.  Another great thing about 1.5 XPS foam is that it can handle a full vac pull.  When bagging on a balsa skin the epoxy resin will boil under the extreme pressure and foam up into any voids and any excess will pull into and thru the balsa.      

« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:09:36 AM by heave »

Mahana

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 09:09:35 AM »
Lets see some pics of a finished board! Do you leave the xps shaggy for a better bond? How many have you done? Any delam issues?

heave

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 06:18:15 PM »
I only use 36 grit and I make sure that enough resin gets in there for a good bond.  Delams are not an issue anymore as experience helps.  However, they were fairly easy to fix.  One learns to use proper reinforcement where it is needed.
Here's a couple pics of balsa sandwich deck SUPs with single 6oz bottom.  I've done a few windsurf boards too.       

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal