Author Topic: Affording the Sport  (Read 6094 times)

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Affording the Sport
« on: November 18, 2007, 11:39:39 AM »
Howzit all.
Seeing as there are quite a few regulars on here and growing, I'm wondering what you all do to afford the sport?  Some of you have the luxury of being able to afford multiple boards at a drop of a dime, which is cool as you folks give a lot of feedback as to what works and what doesn't.
Some, like me, save up to get a board, hoping that it is a board that works for themselves.
I'm currently a SPED teacher in a public school on the Big Island.  The job affords me breaks between quarters (fall, winter, spring, and summer)  that I can take advantage of to surf other places. I also enjoy working with behavioral challenged students.
Prior to this I was a graphic designer in Los Angeles but got tired dealing with everyday city drag (traffic, paying for parking, wetsuits, crowds, etc. ) in order to sustain my ocean Lifestyle. After 15 years of living on the mainland, I am happy to be back home and just loving my whole environment here.

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Affording the Sport
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 01:47:26 PM »
I am on a fixed income (feels more like it is broken, but they call it fixed  ::)).
I just retired and my 1st social security retirement check to buy my first SUP.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 02:40:37 PM »
I run a really lucrative blog. I just checked my google adsense account on it and I'm killing it: I'm averaging 32 cents a day! That's keeping me in stand up boards, paddles and fins. If I crack a dollar a day- that's it... beers on me.

Princess

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 02:52:20 PM »
I am also a teacher. I am currently tutoring on the side to save extra money for my first board (I currently rent). It is expensive but so many of the fun sports are!

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 03:44:20 PM »
im an air traffic controller out here in LA....used to be an engineer for the state of hawaii but that was too boring ;D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 04:22:21 PM »
1st, kudos to you for your work with the kids. Big heart.

I'm looking into alternatives to get my wife out there. I'm looking for something cheap to hold us over until the board prices start to come down and used boards start becoming more available. I'll be surprised if I can't find her a used 10' SUP at the end of next summer.

I've been searching craigslist for used windsurfers in the meantime. Just came across a 9' that sounds like it might work for $250 with all the rigging and 2 sails. I've seen used windsurfers with no sail for as little as $50.

I'm planing on getting rigging for my Starboard too so we can have some fun on light wind days as well.

I know you can make a paddle for cheap. Some great posts on here for inexpensive paddles. If you like to play with wood you can make one with soul.

One way I'll be paying for the sport is by making custom wooden paddles. By this time next year I'd like to be making a paddle or two a week. Not making a killing. Just enough to buy the wife a new board and maybe get me some accesories (Read tires for my truck and a 4wd beach permit for the outer cape)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 04:25:19 PM »
Howzit Steamroller!
Being an Air Traffic Controller at a huge airpot (I used to drive Super Shuttle there a bit), I'm sure you ALWAYS look forward to getting in the water. Used to be a South Bay local when I lived there. I actually used to do designing in El Segundo.
You know Wendy Tani (don't know her married name), air traffic controller out if Torrance airport (might be at Long Beach now)?

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 04:31:43 PM »
I run a really lucrative blog. I just checked my google adsense account on it and I'm killing it: I'm averaging 32 cents a day! That's keeping me in stand up boards, paddles and fins. If I crack a dollar a day- that's it... beers on me.

That's 32 cents more than we are pulling in here, and we are splitting it two ways :)

I like to rationalize the gear this way, once you buy the initial setup, you can keep a board for 3 months or so and sell it for say a $300.00 loss and by a new one.  Let's round it to $3.00 a day.  Now if you cut out a cup of Starbucks a day, well, add in $5.00 to the kitty.  So, since I started stand up, I am a little less jittery and netting an extra $2.00 a day.  Suh-weet!

As for work, I am a whale spotter on the super-ferry, so plenty of days off lately.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 04:42:03 PM by Rand »

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 06:47:33 PM »
Howzit Steamroller!
Being an Air Traffic Controller at a huge airpot (I used to drive Super Shuttle there a bit), I'm sure you ALWAYS look forward to getting in the water. Used to be a South Bay local when I lived there. I actually used to do designing in El Segundo.
You know Wendy Tani (don't know her married name), air traffic controller out if Torrance airport (might be at Long Beach now)?

whoops i should have been more specific...sorry...i work at ZLA Los Angeles En Route Center....radar controller...high altitude stuff....i talk to the airplanes from 3000 feet on up....and then just a blip on the radar scope...nobody actually looks at the airplanes once they go wheels up....

kito

• On the coast again
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 07:15:56 AM »
Hey Brudah Hats off to you.  I lived in Kalapana back in the days of Drain Pipe and Smash Face.
I love the Big Island and hope to go back soon.  I now also work w/ youth as a psychotherapist/counselor.
The bulk of my kids are on ptobation or incarcerated.  I do alot of driving around the county and was spending about 150.00 per week on gas driving a 4x4 suburaban. 
I gave my wife my Suburban and bought a Prius.  I am saving a ton and ordered a PSH.
The things we do for SUP.
Landlocked four years😬

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 01:02:33 PM »
im an air traffic controller out here in LA....used to be an engineer for the state of hawaii but that was too boring ;D

LOL I am a pilot for fractional jet company.  I am sure you have seen our planes on your scopes (especially today).  EJA***
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 01:04:16 PM by motopilot »

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 02:12:16 PM »
Howzit Kito!
You bring up memories of a bygone era! Grew up in Puna and surfed DrainPipes, Left Point (Kaimu Bay). Queens Bath to rinse off.
Sad story, I was living on the mainland and tried to make it back home for one last session at Left Point, called a ranger friend who told me to hurry up. I got there a day AFTER Madame Pele took it back.... :'(
What a beautiful place now gone. Still frequent Pohoiki on the South swells.
Aloha,
Honolii

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 04:59:48 PM »
If you're light weight (to me that's 170 lbs or less) then you can easily start with one of the Surftech softop longboards that you can get used for a few hundred bucks and a $50 paddle from Go Bananas.  It's a lot harder to stand on but they surf pretty good.

Tree Stand

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007, 07:00:36 PM »
Hey Honolii, I used to surf Points or mids all the Time going to UH. Bayfronts is an SUP dream... As for affording one I hear what you are saying. I have been saving up and am still at a loss as to what I want in an sup. So Many options.I am selling a 6'9" Maurice Cole  and a couple other boards which I rarely use to get my new stand up board.

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007, 09:02:08 PM »
Speaking of Bayfronts, this past week....... WHEEEE!!!!!!!!
SUP dream is right.
I was out for an hour on head high waves by myself going in circles, and then some OC-1s joined me.  The bummer thing is that it is so visible with everybody watching from the highway, that everybody comes out when they see it's rideable.  4:30 people pau work, drive by, see me having fun, go home get board, 5:00 everybody came out.
LOL! But still fun, take turns, all Aloha.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard