Author Topic: Roof rack distance—what's too little?  (Read 34200 times)

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Roof rack distance—what's too little?
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2009, 12:55:37 PM »
Being sized to fit flat "aero" racks, the std are about 3.5" wide with velcro closure.  1x1.5??  I would go with std pads instead of AEROs.  XL's are too big for sure....

cutsman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2009, 04:23:52 PM »
Being sized to fit flat "aero" racks, the std are about 3.5" wide with velcro closure.  1x1.5??  I would go with std pads instead of AEROs.  XL's are too big for sure....

I think I was conservative with those dimensions, probably more like 2x1.5". I went to a roof rack place nearby and tried everything they had in the shop. The regular Aero and Rack Pads from Dakine were way too small and he said he couldn't get the XLs for the last 2 years! Went to ZJ Boarding House and they had a local company's pads that were meant for big racks, like the Xterra and I bought a set. Kicking myself now—bought the factory rack only to learn later that day that Yakima made a version of the factory set that screwed into my roof like the factory ones do. At least I could've saved on pads and crossbars that I already own.

Needless to say, the 25-26" distance seemed totally stable and I'm fairly confident I don't have to buy a car to suit the board quite as much as I thought originally.

bgift

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2009, 02:23:05 PM »
I have the answer to your problem. 
I have been using the Tadpole.
Just went down 95 from MD to NC with it and very stable.

cutsman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 05:38:03 PM »

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2009, 08:31:14 AM »
The best pads I have found for oversize factory cross bars are made by FCS, and are sold in a kit with a pair of very nice tie down straps.  These pads have velcro along the full length, and the velcro strips are over 2" wide giving lots of adjustability.  For narrower bars, the extra material just wraps inside, and is never visible or in the way.  Overall profile is nice and low, and they fit snugly and do not move around.  These are working great on the thick, wide oval shaped factory roof rack bars on my Tacoma pickup.  I got mine at Arrow in Santa Cruz.

http://www.surfboardsetc.com/moredetail/149107/FCS_Rack_Pads_with_Straps_D_Ring.html?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=organic&utm_term=149107

dragon

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 08:52:32 AM »
I have a mini and a starboard 11'2" UB - the mini rack is no more than 24" apart and with the board shoved forward as much as possible-highway speeds are no prob-75mph all day long, nothing moves.
I don't even think about it really

cutsman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 09:14:32 AM »
This forum kicks ass—thanks to you all.

ruffian

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2010, 09:00:05 PM »
First of all this forum is INCREDIBLE!! Great info on it and thanks to everyone for contributing.

I just bought a 10' Starboard Whopper and I drive a Toyota Corrolla.  Just got Thule racks put on today and also bough the Hang Two Surf system as well. 

Still, looking at the board when it sat on my car (tonight) I got this uneasy feeling that as soon as I was driving 100 kmh there would be problems! Having seen some of the comments here I feel better about the stability of such a setup.  I still may consider getting that "Tadpole" attachment though if I get too much "wobble" on it. 
Wish me luck!
Aloha from Canada eh!
Ruffian

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal