Author Topic: Cold Water - Flat Water Paddling - Wetsuit Solutions?  (Read 21093 times)

photosettle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Cold Water - Flat Water Paddling - Wetsuit Solutions?
« on: November 16, 2007, 10:47:57 PM »
Any thoughts on a good set up clothing wise for cold water distance paddling.  A wetsuit steams up so hot and sweaty even when the air is in the 50's.  Does a dry suit work better or does that trap most of the sweat in as well?  When surfing, your constantly in the water to get a fresh 'washing' but when not falling off, it is a sweat bath in a 5-3 suit. 

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cold Water - Flat Water Paddling - Wetsuit Solutions?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 12:18:13 AM »
We've just come through our Winter here in Oz and I didn't want to stop paddling..Not even for one day.. ;D

I have many wetsuit options already but knew it would feel uncumfee and sweaty so here's what I did.

I bought some wetsuit shorts (like the water skiers use..I think) and wore them under my boardies..(boardshorts)..I also bought a wetsuit sleeveless vest..

So with my vest overlapping my wetsuit shorts I guess I ended up with a sort of sleeveless springsuit..but with the option of taking the vest off and just wearing the shots under my board shorts and the paddling keeps me warm enough.

It's amazing how much warmth wetsuit shorts add to keeping warm...I also bought one of those new long sleeve 'thin' wetsuit tops but never needed to wear that often but when I did it was ok and didn't restrict paddling.

DJ

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:20:57 AM by DavidJohn »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 09:59:55 AM »
PonoBill and Linter discuss the koketak goretex drysuit here. Sounds like they are great for flatwater paddles.

http://www.ponohouse.com/ponoblog/?p=299
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 04:41:57 PM »
I experienced this too hot issue just the other day. Up here in New England it's cold, like 40's and 30's right now and when you paddle hard you sweat hard. I was wearing my xcel 6/5/4 and found it to be way too hot. The next session I wore a 4/3 and was way more comfy once I got warmed up. I think if you wear a bag drysuit with loose fitting polypro underwear you'd be ok as well. I plan on getting an OCS drysuit after I get a new board.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 11:58:41 AM »
Here is your answer.
http://www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=gmer
Get ready to buck up though! ;D
 I have been using mine on 40 degree rivers with absolutely no cold experiences:)
After a 2 hr paddle down 3 miles of class 3 whitewater and about 2 dozen violent wipeouts I got off the water and my fleece shirt and pants were still bone dry, along with my socks too-go figure-these things are AMAZING.
Plus they breathe when you get hot:)

HIGHLY recommended
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 01:05:10 PM »
I got the Patagonia 3mm wetsuit and have been using it in NE where it's been in the 30's and 40's. It has wool on the inside and the neoprene they use is pretty wind proof. All it works pretty well.

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 02:49:58 PM »
ECSUP
  What are you wearing for gloves. I had my first coldest winter session yesterday morning and my hands froze. I have 3mil five finger gloves i will be putting on next session. Have you had any trouble paddling or feel or slippage of the shaft when you paddle wearing gloves?  A wetsuit and booties are not too bad but I'm wondering about gloves.  Any cold water/climate SUP's have  or want to share their secrets.   
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 04:08:04 PM »
Gloves are tough for dexterity and warmth w/o felling thick and making gripping the paddle hard.  For kayaking in cold waters I have been loving these.
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2447&deptid=944
You give up some dexterity but I have used them a few times for SUP'in and I like them better than any gloves...
But NRS has about the best selection of wetsuit gloves
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=944&ggkey=paddling_gloves&gclid=CMSLmvPZ9o8CFQGzGgodiHjtlQ

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 04:46:47 AM »
what i've never really figured out -- and maybe someone here has -- is getting a hood that works as well with a drysuit as a built-in hood does on a wetsuit.  i'm talking about a real hood, with neck protection, not a beanie or some such.  and what's missing for me is being able to turn my head more than a few degrees w/out feeling like i'm strangling.  ideas, anyone?

pete

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 05:39:07 AM »
Was snowing abit today and I was in my excel 4/5/6 wety, 5 mm boots and hoody, no gloves though as I will wait for feb/march time for that. Got alittle warm but Id' drather be too warm then to cold, use a water carrier for fluids so I  dont dehydrate. Still if your cold just paddle harder :)

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 11:07:38 AM »
gjpsup-
i was using 3mm five finger gloves until a week ago. Now I am using 5mm lobster claw gloves. I've used them in 3 separate one hour surf sessions with a C4 paddle and they were fine. Held the paddle better than I thought they would. Today I went out for a 3 mile flat/choppy water paddle and I was using a Kinimaka wood paddle and my hands and forearms got really tired from holding the thicker wooden shaft with the the 5mm gloves.
Hope this helps.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 04:20:34 PM »
linter
Cut the hood off and old suit then it can swivel when you turn your head:)

Yea I look for the thinnest palm in a paddling glove because the shaft diameter feels huge and makes your hands tired if the palm of the glove is thick.  Yea we have been through all of this for paddling whitewater as our best steep creeking season is through the winter and running 30 ft waterfalls gets hairball when your not sure if you can hold on to your paddle tight enough :o  Thats why I would STRONGLY recommend a kayaking glove over a surfing glove.  The only thing you need to grip when your surfing (prone that is)  is the neck of the nearest SUP guy :o

photosettle

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2007, 02:30:44 PM »
Was thinking of getting the kokatak TROPOS swift entry and having them add a relief zipper...
www.kokatat.com/product_detail.asp?code=tse

Does anyone have any experience w/ this drysuit?  Especially compared to their gortex models? 

How about in the surf... would a wetsuit still be preferable for SUPing or do folks that have dry suits tend not to wear their wetsuits as often?

My reasoning for the TROPOS is as follows
1.  Still brethable but not as expensive as gortex (not as breathable either i guess)

2.  does not have built in booty sox so you can either go barefoot or wear surfing booties.

3.  about $375 new but have to add some $$$ for relief zipper

4.   probably only use it for flat water paddling although i may find i like it in the ocean as well.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 02:53:24 PM »
I have a Koketat, but it was a lot more than $350--more like $850--I sprung for the Goretex. Mine has a relief zipper--very handy on a three hour flat water paddle when you drink two quarts of water. The Goretex works great, you get a little air movement inside the suit, about like you would from a cheap nylon jacket. My wife bought one too, as you can see in the mockup cover for Kenalu that's on www.ponohouse.com/ponoblog. When she got hers I bought a bunny suit too. Great for really cold days but generally unnecessary. I usually wear my street clothes or some bicycle stuff under them--you know, the "Robin Hood, Men in tights" kind of stuff.

I use mine at the Oregon coast in waves. When you fall in it's kind of grim. All that clothing wrapped around you. On the positive side you float like the michelin man. On the negative side, you float like the michelin man. Lots of huffing and puffing getting back to your feet--or maybe that's just me.

When I wear gloves I use thin neoprene shooting gloves made for duck hunters. After a hald hour of paddling you'll be pulling them off because your hand are too hot. Then you'll fall in and wish you had them on. No such thing as really comfortable. But I gotta say, going back to the car and stripping off you suit to find you're comfortable and dry--ready to drive home--is a very nice thing.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Princess

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 03:14:17 PM »
To SUP/surf in Vancouver and Tofino, I use a 4/3 wetsuit with boots and lobster gloves. When I get too hot while SUPing, which does happen, I just jump in and cool off. Another option is to undo the zipper (mine's at the back) a bit to let some fresh air in. I find these options cheaper than investing in multiple wetsuits.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal