Author Topic: Question on Paddle building.  (Read 3370 times)

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Question on Paddle building.
« on: November 08, 2007, 12:03:31 PM »
Howzit everybody.
I've been inspired lately from reading everyone's experience and project with paddle building both here and on Swaylocks.  I have some ideas of what I want to try.
My question is how do you apply an epoxy edging to the edge of the blade? Is it done after sanding the final shape and routing back the edge and apply the epoxy/glass edging? Then sand it into shape?
The other way I was looking at it was after cutting out the outline of the blade (making a wee bit smaller to compensate for the edging), applying a layer of epoxy/glass to the sanded cut edge, and then shape the blade to it's final thickness.
Any ideas or suggestions will all be appreciated as I like to hear them all.
Thanks!

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
Re: Question on Paddle building.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 06:40:52 PM »
I laminated my paddle with 6 oz cloth/epoxy on both sides, and did a mini lap along the edges, so there is cloth all the way around the blade.  I also wrapped the shaft with 6 oz glass tape for about 14" or so above the blade.  This is to stiffen if the shaft a bit where it needs it the most, without killing the nice flex pattern you get from wood.  I sealed the entire shaft in a few coats of epoxy, since the basswood I used is quite soft and prone to dents and dings.  The epoxy really toughens it up without adding a lot of weight.

Here's some more info on my project.
http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 08:02:57 PM »
I did steam bent laminations on the edge of the blade on my last ones. I'll do the same to the next and edge them with 6 oz cloth. I also laminate my shafts so I don't plan on glassing them.  The cold bent lamination of the shaft adds a lot of strength. We'll see, the last ones were way too beefy and I plan on focusing on weight this time. These got 3 coats of epoxy and then one of a good marine varnish for UV protection.

http://www.ponohouse.com/ponoblog/?p=265
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 08:26:13 PM »
Wow! Thanks! Those are the stuff that inspires me to go build my own!  Those are both beautiful paddles. Nothing seems to match the beauty and function of wood.  Thanks for the tips. As I look at both paddles, I came up with an idea for laying glass tape(Dynel, if I can get it.) with epoxy along the edge somewhat in the fashion of the steamed wood edging in the second post.  Sand it down after cure and then do a glass job around the whole blade as in the first post.  This'll be my winter break project. I'll post my pics once I get started. Again thanks a million, as both your pictures gave me a lot of info how to tackle this.
Aloha!

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 08:32:01 PM »
I really want to build my own paddle. For that matter, I want to build my own SUP. I understand Grain Surfboards is working on a couple of kit ideas. I am very excited about that - hope it happens soon.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 10:38:06 PM »
Patfly, I saw my old friend Mike LaVecchia from Grain a few weeks ago, and they are indeed working on an SUP prototype.  I decided to design and build my own, using the Grain method.  Here's some info on my progress:

http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554&start=0

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 04:23:30 AM »
Great looking progress on the board Andy. I keep thinking I wan't to do this but I'll have to get a few things off the honey-do list before I can start. How big do you cut the strips?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 04:48:58 AM »
Wow! Thanks! Those are the stuff that inspires me to go build my own!  Those are both beautiful paddles. Nothing seems to match the beauty and function of wood.  Thanks for the tips. As I look at both paddles, I came up with an idea for laying glass tape(Dynel, if I can get it.) with epoxy along the edge somewhat in the fashion of the steamed wood edging in the second post.  Sand it down after cure and then do a glass job around the whole blade as in the first post.  This'll be my winter break project. I'll post my pics once I get started. Again thanks a million, as both your pictures gave me a lot of info how to tackle this.
Aloha!

I know Malama paddles are not glassed on the blade. They glass the shaft and just resin coat the blade. Seems to work fine. Doing the same should save you on some hard work.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 07:51:35 AM »
Redwood planking will be 1/4" by about 3" wide, depending on condition of my stock.  The rail strips will be 1/4" x 3/8" bead and cove, also redwood.

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 10:07:22 AM »
Patfly, I saw my old friend Mike LaVecchia from Grain a few weeks ago, and they are indeed working on an SUP prototype.  I decided to design and build my own, using the Grain method.  Here's some info on my progress:

http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=554&start=0

Andy - nice work - but too much work for me. I have built boats from plans, scratch, and kits. I think I will wait for Grain's kit.
I just met Mike when he came through San Francisco on their tour. Nice guy! I have been bugging him about a smaller than 12' SUP and he did say they are in the works, but it sounded like months away. Maybe I'll have time to finish the sailboat I am building in the meantime.
No hurries - no worries - stress is at an irreducable minimum!
 ::)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 08:30:18 AM »
An interesting forum on building wooden boards. Rich Blundell former partner with Mike at Grain started it up.

I notice you're already on there Andy.

http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/
Bob

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill