Author Topic: The Bill I knew  (Read 3009 times)

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
The Bill I knew
« on: August 24, 2009, 03:09:34 AM »
5am woke up still wired...i'm over the shakes and the daze.
We had some size in the parts of new england

Ian Walsh Surfing Newport, Rhode Island - Hurricane Bill

I guess Andy Irons made it to Manasquan friday...i hit a remote spot that got it good.  No crowd but some serious dudes.
Our show began Saturday pm...triple session days on sat/sunday for me...each day had an appetizer, main course and dessert

Much graditude to this forum....i've ony been at this since March, and learned alot thru  you guys.   Looked down on one bomb, and Blane is right about foot placement....i had both sets of toes over the rail, and stomping hard...you need to!

Sunday was supposed to be the day....woke up and saw that yes, it had been over-hyped, so i went out, and caught some fun stuff, but kind of anticlimactic...so went back out at another spot, and either it pulsed, or it was the spot, but it was chicken skin/lump in throat time.   I had a ball, and still have all my teeth.  how big? i dunno.  plenty.  plus super clean and glassy.

I was on the PSH 10'6 AA...that thing is a cruise missile!  And yes, you can lay it on the rail....my thighs still burning...

I don't have pics....was a solo trip, and tried a handheld camera on the shaft, but tore it off when i got scared.....glad i did cause one wave i ended up in spear throwing pose as the whole thing was blowing back

Zen moment was Saturday.  finished a wave, kicked out, and heard a very loud "PONG"....thought shit, i just killed someone, no wait...i musta broke the board, then i realized that it was a big granite boulder gonging into another one in about 10' of water right under me......very musical, and a sound i will remember always 
 :)

Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Bill I knew
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 05:23:48 AM »
 Nice video!  Great here in Jax Fl late Friday and all day Saturday, too. Though not quite that big here, I'm sure it was good pretty much anywhere on the whole east coast. Worn slap out now...  Later,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

EastFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 05:24:33 AM »
Great video and report.  Looks like it was really pumping up there.  

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 06:31:42 AM »
THAT WAS AN AWESOME VIDEO!!!  Glad to see some photos from up north.  I think its so cool that we are all talking about riding the same swell, and we are @ 1200 miles apart!  Outcast, glad to share the stoke with you.  Sounds like you also had an epic weekend.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
fantastic vid.  twas the same size here in Point Judith, so I opted for smaller and more forgiving at the K's.  still a blast.  great leftovers this morning, too, at our fav n-wind spot.

the rumor going around town is that garrett mcnamara was seen paddleboarding Ruggles.  any truth to that?

outcast

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 01:29:22 PM »
Thanks Moto.
  I know Jack Bushko from back in the day....you've got LBI roots right?
  Wonder how the inlet worked.
  I'll save the word "epic" for another day....didn't have Water-Kook to tease, and I  missed my kids for 3 days

Lintner,
  You might guess where i was, and i was in trunks and sun....there were film crews and all kinds of comings and goings....high level of rippers, didn't hear about McNamara...another Zoner too, but I can't name him.
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 01:46:44 PM »
LOL yeah I used to be up there for a while.  My only question for the guys up north was there was a ton of SOUTH wind on thrusday and friday?  I would have guessed that the water would be super cold but everyone seems to be in baggies?  Some buddies on LBI said it was fullsuit wx? 

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 03:11:07 PM »
 Me and one other Zoner suped Pt. Judith on saturday, it was a little bumpy but some nice big bombs.I think we saw you Linter on the inside. Had a real glassy big sesh at my home spot yesterday, then a fun sesh up north today with Mr Clay Feeter at an outer spot with two others on sups. The waves were great and I am tired... 8)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 05:49:14 PM »
Great vid and report.....fingers crossed for an active tropics with similar storm tracks. Where was the kook for Bill?.
I'm headed to the Cape tomorrow am and staying for the day...hope there is something left. At least it should be uncrowded...everyone surfed out from the weekend and whats left will seem unworthy.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 05:51:31 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

outcast

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 07:10:12 PM »
Happy for you Axe.
The Kook did not earn enough marital coupons to get time away.  He hit the bowl today, and a nice left yesterday.....don't worry about the kook.....he gets plenty ::)
Bowl should be working just fine for you tommorow
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Water-kook

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 04:29:11 AM »
The KOOK has learned not to leave waves to look for waves.
Sat. morning Nauset Light all the way to Coast Guard and back riding waves both ways. Sunday boated out to a secret break off Monomoy Island. Pealing lefts.
Charm of the storm was the SUPper Bowl Monday morning. Glassy and head high!!
The bowl will still be working Axe!!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:35:51 AM by Water-kook »

boardshorts

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 05:41:20 AM »
Sweet video and great filming!  Hit the Cape yesterday morning but it was too disorganized for my skill level.  My buddies had a great time.  Best Bill moment for me...arriving home from a wedding in upstate New York at 6:00PM Sunday I get the call: head high at our home beach!  This is a spot where we normally would never get a knee-high wave.  Put the twins in pajamas and threw the boards on the car to get in 1 hour of sweet chest-high perfection.  Not another surfer for 3 miles in either direction.  Stone: sorry we couldn't get out but this Fall is going to be great.

SwellSC

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 08:48:28 AM »
Great video....nice ride

Byronmaui

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 11:06:28 AM »
Man love all the stories and threads. Sensory overload trying to keep up with all the threads and what part of the coast the waves were hitting and who was catching what or waiting for the waves to come.

Thanks for the updates.

Aloha

Byron

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard