Author Topic: When are we going to see...  (Read 9932 times)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
When are we going to see...
« on: November 10, 2007, 08:04:20 AM »
...some production boards that will allow a deep driving bottom turn?   

It seems like everyone is holding back on making production models that are sized, thinned and rockered for ripping.  For sure there is a place for cruisers, longboards, full railed, soft wave models etc., but of the 50+ production boards out there, you would think that at least one would fully cut it loose.

Anyone....

Byronmaui

Re: When are we going to see...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 10:10:05 AM »
I can tell you the new 9 foot bat wing C4 does not have it. I agree with you some brands are holding back or just giving us old shapes to milk the money wagon. I had 5 C4's and now 4 and all of them so far are missing the things you identified. I am hoping my custom from Blaine will have the elements missing.
Aloha

Byron

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 10:14:05 AM »
...are there enough of us who can envision the skiils and balls to handle it. I know I can, but I don't buy boards in my dreams, I am usually awake and realize I can't do that!
 ::)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 10:27:24 AM »
...are there enough of us who can envision the skiils and balls to handle it?

Hi Pat,

In short, yes.  That does not mean they are going to be Leleo, but still...

I would much rather bootom turn on a solid wave with a board that can handle it, than a something that has been detuned for production that has no chance of doing it well.

You cannot practice hammering the rail on a board that will not allow it.

Best,
Rand

Byronmaui

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 10:45:20 AM »
Patfly if you are on Maui you can borrow my C4's and try them. You will see what I am talking about. This is not about dreams to me and anyone can see  the production designs are sometimes bland in my mind. I never went the longboard route to SUP so maybe these designs fit the mass population.

Aloha

Byron

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 02:36:43 PM »
In my opinion it is probably wise that there is a good representation of boards aimed at brand new riders, and others for those who prefer more of a longboard style.  I completely support that.  My question is, why are there ZERO that are going after the market that wants to check out the shapes that the pros are riding?  In reference to what was posted here earlier, I am stoked to hear that Blane will be getting out some ripper production models in the near future, as I was stoked to see his Leleo 9'2 Production model earlier (that board was and is a great small/soft wave killer and deserves major notice for being way ahead of its time in terms of production boards). 

I guess my question to the manufacturers is, why not produce the boards you are personally ripping on for the public?  The deluge of email we are receiving about smaller boards suggests that the market is more than willing.

C'mon, lay it on us!

Best,
Randy
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 02:40:32 PM by Rand »

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 02:42:44 PM »
I think we'll see production boards like this one Leleo's on very soon.

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
I was only slightly kidding in my previous post. I really do like some performance to grow into once I pass the rank beginner stage.

My experience in sports has been that in most cases the production market really caters to the new and low intermediate participants. One thing that often happens is that when given a choice some (maybe many) new buyers will buy their equiptment over their heads and get discouraged and drop out. This means they do not buy next year's model of the latest and greatest. Marketers don't like that!

It is my guess that much more equiptment is sold to the weekly or bi-weekly user than will ever be sold to the daily user. I find it hard to believe that there can be casual users of things like SUPs. It certainly does not describe my SUP style. In my book anything worth doing is worth overdoing!

All this being said, I hope my next board is able to perform a bottom turn like the photo  :P (even if I can't). 

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 03:11:58 PM »
Patfly if you are on Maui you can borrow my C4's and try them. You will see what I am talking about. This is not about dreams to me and anyone can see  the production designs are sometimes bland in my mind. I never went the longboard route to SUP so maybe these designs fit the mass population.

Aloha

Byron

I will certainly be in touch Byron. I am curious where I and the sport will be by next Summer (that's when I'll next get to Maui).
I love being in a sport as it grows and changes. When I look back 10 years and think of the kiteboarding equiptment we were using I almost have to laugh. It was very different!

Byronmaui

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007, 03:21:06 PM »
Agree Patfly and you or anyone is more than welcome to use what I have on Maui.

Aloha

Byron

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2007, 04:49:35 PM »
It will be interesting to see what shows up at Bill's board comparison in February. Personally I know I'll never reach the skill level where it will make a difference. I can certainly appreciate the development of the sport though and the more radical the equipment the better the skilled among us can rip it. My own interest is is in a very different direction but I can feel my heart start to race when I see a picture like that.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

CB1

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007, 05:04:48 PM »
You guys are lucky!  Try living on the US east coast.  We can't even see the boards you are talking about...not even the older models you are referring to!  C4, PSH, Angulo, & etc  ??? 
supSURFmachines
Longboard 9'2" x 29.5" x 4.25  140L
AC Grande - 8'5" x 31" x 4 3/8  135L
Wide Ripper - 7'8" x 30.75"  105L

Byronmaui

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 08:44:18 PM »
Blaine you are holding back by not giving the specs..jk

Aloha

Byron

Blane Chambers

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 08:49:11 PM »
Haha!   No specs yet...   

Aloha,
BC

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

boots

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 09:21:17 PM »
  My question is, why are there ZERO that are going after the market that wants to check out the shapes that the pros are riding? 

I guess my question to the manufacturers is, why not produce the boards you are personally ripping on for the public?

Probably the main reason is because all the "pros" have all different riding styles, body weights, and heights,  which is why they have custom boards. When a shaper spends the time and money to get a board molded for production, they want to make sure it will work for a wide variety of surfers. Besides, when you start riding bigger waves and progress to a more high performace level, you're gonna want a board that is fitted to your style and size    = custom board. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal