Author Topic: South County WIDE boards--any good? Compare to Starboard Whopper?  (Read 17603 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: South County WIDE boards--any good? Compare to Starboard Whopper?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2009, 09:36:45 AM »
killer surf ... and killer winds, at least here in ri -- 35 knots!  hope it's lighter where you are, jim, and that you get some.

are you selling SC boards now or just riding them?

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2009, 12:50:07 PM »
Looks like Monday will be the call wave wise down here.

We Sell these SUP's Starboards, C4, Aqua Glide, Naish South County & Pau Hanna
Linter, I've been ridding the Turtle since late last sumer and ofcourse the WHOPPER from earlier this past winter ('08 & '09) and have been singing its praises ever since.

I've also been very impressed with the PauHana (BZ Model use to call it "Big Easy" they had no idea Starboard had been using that already) 11FT (11' X 32" X 5") This has a nice glide as compared top the WHOPPER and the TURTLE Plus you can nose ride it. My Pre Production board is a bit heavy and more fragile but I'm told that has been addressed. I've sold a couple and they look MUCH better tyhan our demo one.

Another model that has caugt my eye is the Haish Mana series for us Clydesdales the Kailua is showing promise and for high perforamance regular size folks the 7'9" on up really rip.

On a sadder note:
POWEREX will be closing its doors (Paddles & Windsurfing masts) on Dec 31 I LOVED THESE PADDLES not to mention the masts. So I'll be spending a good bit of time now looking at paddles to replace POWEREX besides our stalworth C4's...I'll let you know what "tickles my fancy"

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2010, 04:16:26 AM »
I've got several and I love them.  I have the whole family on them in the surf and the lakes.  I have a 10 foot Turtle and I am 6'2" and 275 lbs and it floats me well and I have surfed it in head high waves and one footers and it surfs well and can make the glide thru the flat sections.  I have messed around with the fins and it does make a difference.  I like the 5 fin setup, but it surfs well with a thruster setup and it surfs great with a quad setup.  With the quad you can turn super fast to catch the wave and while on the wave you can rip.  It is a ver stable board and easy to balance.  I have own and tried many boards and the Turtle is the best for me.  More time standing and less time wet.  I have had the whopper and the Big Easy and they are less fun than the SOCO boards.  The 12 x 32 easy is less stable ino than the 10 foot Turtle.  Plus the turtle floats as fast and surf way better.

My son is on a 8'6" and he says it rips like his merrick.  My wife had a Laird and tried the 10 soco and won't get back on the Laird- sold the Laird and bought her a Turtle.

Adriano

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2010, 07:41:35 AM »
today i will pick up my new sup - 9'9"x29"x4 1/4" sting dimond, and i thing it will work well. i pretend to make another sup but a little bit width like 5" and a little bit smaller 9'3", some thing like that. both boards i will use in flater water and small surf

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2010, 10:50:18 PM »
 I have had the whopper and the Big Easy and they are less fun than the SOCO boards.  The 12 x 32 easy is less stable ino than the 10 foot Turtle.  Plus the turtle floats as fast and surf way better.

Hey mdsurf--how does the soco compare to the whopper?  which is more stable, and which surfs better?
thanks
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2010, 08:38:24 AM »
For Me the SOCO Turtle.  That is not just my Opinion also the opinion of my son and my wife.  The Turtle is more stable and with the fin configuration I could change it up for different conditions.  With the quad setup the board is real loose and turns on a dime to catch a wave and to do cutbacks and turns on the waves.  The Turtle is more stable and floats me better also.  More stability for me means less time in the water and more time catching waves.  The Turtle also seemed to float off the top of the wave with more stability and ease.  It is a real good all around board.  I use it for Flat days and 1 foot waves to head high waves.  It is floaty, has a better glide to it and seems to make the slow sections easier than the whopper.

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2010, 10:47:18 PM »
mdsurf--is it stable enough without the centerfin?  You're just using the quads?
What's your opinion on the SoCo's ability to paddle straight, compared to other boards.  It's width is nice for stability, but is it's yaw excessive?

thanks
Mike

Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
mik911 There is no excessive yaw with all fins.  When I ride it as a quad it is because I want it to turn easy and fast.  The quad fin setup I use has the small sidebites and it is a three stroke on the right three stroke on the left to stay straight.  to me excessive yaw would be one and one on each side.  Now if you are facing a wave and want to turn and catch it with the quad setup simply paddle hard on one side and you turn easy to catch the wave.  Then once your are on the wave turning and carving is easy with no slide sideways.  It feels good loose.

If you want to flat water paddle then use the 5 fin setup and paddle straight.  It paddles just as straight and fast as a 12foot starboard I had.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2010, 06:04:09 PM »
I love my Whopper in bigger surf but day to day here on the EC the SoCo Turtle is GREAT. I too use it as a quad but I have Bigger quad fin setup than what came stock. If that is to "Squirrelly" The 2+1 setup with the stock fins are more directionally smooth (less yaw) and give up little in the turning dept.
Currently I'm playing with true Thruster setups and it is showing promise I use 4.25 Side fins and the Starboard 17cm rear fin (come stock on the Whopper) and it is even losser and I'm not noticing any excessive yaw But it is winter (COLD) here and I'm more conservative in my approach to wave this time of year (water temp today was/is 38F)
Once things loosen up (get warmer) I'm going to try a a smaller (than the side fins) rear fin.
Everyone who's ridden our demo has been amazed...I'm STILL being amazed by this SoCo Turtle

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2010, 10:23:42 PM »
Thanks guys.  That helps.
I paddle 1-2 miles along the beach breaks looking for waves that are empty of surfers, so I want a fin set up that is loose for surfing, yet low on drag and stable for distance, gliding without yaw.  I know, can't have it all:)
I have the 5 fin set up now, and it's kinda tight while surfing, and could use some loosening up.

Looks like I may try either a quad set up or 2+1  (JimK-you planninng on a 5"  center fin?--let me know how this surfs.  The smallest center fin I have now is 7")

« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 10:27:18 PM by mik911 »
Mike

Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal