Author Topic: Dave Kalama - Interview, Tips, Gear  (Read 25663 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Dave Kalama - Interview, Tips, Gear
« on: August 18, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »

Chan had mentioned a while back that she was going to do an interview with Dave on some techniques and paddle tips that we thought others on the Zone might find interesting.  Well, we all finally got a chance to do that over the last couple of days, and so here is the first go.  We met up at Maliko Gulch for some photos, but brought along my little point and shoot as well.  Randy Royce used it to shoot some video clips, and I think they do a good job of showing the difference between Dave's primary two strokes.  Up until 1:40 he is using the Hawaiian stroke, after that, the Tahitian stroke.  This is the Naish 17 production and Dave's Signature model Quickblade.  I will post some of the stills I shot of the gear, the strokes, etc. in a bit.  Chan is compiling her notes from the interview, in which Dave gave out some really detailed instruction on trimming, swell selection and following, and ruddering.  

The following is Dave's description of the two strokes in the vid:

The Hawaiian stroke, is a longer, slower paced stroke with greater repetitions per side (12-16) than the Tahitian.  To initiate the stroke extend your lower shoulder and arm, twist your torso, maintain a vertical paddle position on entry, push down to weight the paddle while pulling the stroke parallel to the board to propel your weight forward.  It is important to maintain a vertical paddle position until you begin to exit the stroke.  Release should occur slightly before your paddle reaches your hip by dropping your upper hand and twisting your wrist.

The Tahitian stroke requires a greater degree of extension, so reach as far forward as possible.  It is ok to bend a little at the hips, but you don't want that to be the majority of your reach. The torso twist and the shoulder reach along with a little bend at the hips add up to your total extension for your reach.  Less weight is placed on the paddle and quicker shorter strokes are required.  At this rate 8-10 strokes per side is recommended.  Using a combination of strokes helps to minimize fatigue.

A big thanks to Dave for sharing his time and experience.  Unreal to have the world's best willing to tip us out, let alone to take the time to make sure all of the details were covered.  Also, thanks to Randy for shooting the vid.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:15:09 AM by Admin »

J.Riggs

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dave Kalama - Interview, Tips, Gear
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 06:19:23 PM »
Nice video. Thanks, that's just what I wanted to see.
His top hand never drops below his neck during the Tahitian stroke.
I'm ready to try it out.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 06:34:53 PM »
Gear Shots:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 06:40:34 PM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 06:48:33 PM »
Stroke Shots:

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 08:22:54 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for doing this all.

How long is Dave's paddle relative to his height. Surprised to see his top hand stay so high.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 08:46:30 PM »
Awesome! Thanks for doing this all.

How long is Dave's paddle relative to his height. Surprised to see his top hand stay so high.

I didn't ask that, but he did let me cruise his gear around the gulch.  The paddle seemed very close to mine (85), possibly an inch shorter.  10 inches wide though.  That made me think a little, because it felt pretty great.

scotty nagz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 08:57:30 PM »
THANKS admin!!!!! i really needed this!!!! AWESOME!!!! ;D

scotty nagz

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 08:59:24 PM »
cant wait for chans notes on daves tips on trimming !!!!!!

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 11:44:32 PM »
It would be nice to hear Daves tips on big wave riding. I was out with him today at Sandpiles in medium surf and he is really one of the best I have seen. He completely rips and always seems to be in the right place in the line up. He also always demonstates proper surf courtesy making him a model for the rest of us to follow.

Bob from Brazil

• Sunset Status
  • www.surftech.com.br
    • MSN Messenger - roloar08@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 07:10:31 AM »
Great stuff!! :) Thanks for sharing, Admin...

Mahalo do Brazil,
Bob.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 07:23:24 AM »
Great pics.. Great vid.. Thanks heaps.

DJ

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 08:21:17 AM »
A mod has been made to the original tip on the Tahitian stroke where originally it had read, "without bending at the hips".

Daves' note:   

"The only thing not completely accurate is in the description of the Tahitian stroke. It is ok to bend a little at the hips. You just don't want that to be the majority of your reach. The torso twist and the shoulder reach along with a little bend at the hips add up to your total extension for your reach."

Mauiguy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 09:26:53 AM »
This is really fabulous Randy.  Thanks to you and Chan for taking the time to do this and do it so well.  The next time I see Dave I'll be sure to thank him as well.   His paddling technique is fascinating and masterful.  Not that I've started racing or anything (yet), but I'm trying to learn and absorb as much as possible from more experienced paddlers.  This is analogous to getting a windsurfing lesson from Robby Naish himself!

Aloha,

Gary

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 10:20:47 AM »
Awesome stuff.
Thanks for this.
Like the pics of the Naish 17' - - wonder if the log Dave was paddling had any influence on the design?  :)

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

markoffshore

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 02:27:48 PM »
awsome.thanks for the great pics and video.thanks Dave for your time. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal