Author Topic: Dave Kalama - Interview, Tips, Gear  (Read 25664 times)

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dave Kalama - Interview, Tips, Gear
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 09:20:10 AM »
I did ask about that.  Dave said that there are locations and times when there is almost no ground swell and you are reliant almost entirely on windswell for glides.  But, he also noted that windswell still forms V's and that you need to use these to get the most out of the prevailing surface swells (even if they are only ripples).  I will try to get answers to the other questions shortly.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 09:21:19 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2009, 04:13:17 PM »
FWIW, I asked Dave about the little wind swell we were getting at the second Hood River race. I think I said something like it was generally too small to catch. He said the small swells are the most important, and you catch them by understanding that they peak side to side as well as in the direction of travel. I still don't know completely what he meant, but I've kind of noted that the swell peaks move perpendicular to their direction of travel and I often aim where the peak ISN"T because that's where it will likely be when I get there. If that makes sense.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2009, 07:07:54 PM »
Thanks so much for the info.

PilonSUP

• Peahi Status
  • Southern zone Costa Rica, Pavones
    • View Profile
    • Costa Rica Stand Up Paddle Boarding
    • Email