Author Topic: "Surfboard" Racing Class?  (Read 3695 times)

riverrat

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
"Surfboard" Racing Class?
« on: August 17, 2009, 06:26:09 PM »
After "racing" in Tahoe last weekend on a JL 12' gun, I wonder if it would make sense to have a stock "surfboard" class at the large distance races.  The rule would be 12'6" or less and designed primarily for wave riding.  Although the class designation would be pretty subjective, I can't think of a board that would not be easy to classify.  For those of us who only race a few times each year and do not want to engage in an arm's race ($3000 CF board with a shelf life of about one year), it would allow us to more truly compete during races without a big financial commitment.  On the other hand, I would lose my excuse for mediocre finishes....

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
Re: "Surfboard" Racing Class?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 07:05:02 PM »
It is an interesting point.  Race promotors try to "level the playing field" by having a 12'6" class, since most people own a surfy SUP under this length.  However, then someone invariably shows up with a 12'6" Hobie, Bark, SIC or Naish race board, and the playing field is no longer "level."  If I owned one of these boards, you can be sure I'd bring it!  At the Seattle Naish series, there have been one or two Glides, a Holoholo and a 12'6" SIC.  Everything else is surf-style. 

Somehow I have managed to be very competitive on my 12' surf sup, but holy crap I have to paddle hard to stay ahead of those racy boards!
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 09:10:23 PM »
Where would a Naish Glide fit in?

It has what I would consider a surf style design with a full planing hull and no displacement features, yet its not really a board you buy to use in the surf??

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »
I really hope the "race" scene doesn't turn into a "we have to have a class for everyone" type of deal.

At our weekly Naish series here - - I am the only one on a "race" board - a Naish Glide - and I still have not won a race.   :'(
The young kid who whips us all is on a Starboard 11'2" Blend. 

I say leave it as is - - 12'6" and under - and open.  2 classes - - keep it simple.

I used to race shifter karts and it turned into a huge mess every time someone came out with a new motor - they had to add a class.
When I started there was 4 classes - when I quit (to go race rally cars) there was 11.  Same number of racers - just less in each class.
That was the main reason I got out of karts.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 10:53:29 AM »
I gotta agree Easy Rider.  Keep it simple.  If I want to go faster in that class... I'll just have to get a faster board.  It's up to me :)  Our races have had such small turn outs up here (15-20 folks) that if we split it up, you'd be racing against 3 or 4 people.  It's all about fun anyway, unless you're a pro and have to satisfy the sponsors, not a problem I have at the moment :D
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 01:38:11 PM »
Yup. too many classes screws up the racing. it will sort itself out. I suspect 12'6" will be a standard and open will be for everything else. In non-elite classes, especially series, the way to go is by potential speed. If someone wins in 12'6" with a trick board kick them to open, or give them a weight handicap.

I did well in the Hood River series in part because I had a Point, and at the end used my F18. Of course I had a SUBSTANTIAL weight penalty assessed--but it was around my waist.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 06:41:34 PM »
Bill; I heard your F18 was fun when it came to the running portion of the course at Hood River ;)
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 07:58:22 PM »
Great fun. It's a maliko board, made for downwinders, so it's not so hot on flat water, but with almost any swell it rocks. On the downside, it really sucks when you stick it on your shoulder and try to run across sand.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal