Author Topic: Sketches of next paddle  (Read 3929 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Sketches of next paddle
« on: November 07, 2007, 06:11:22 PM »
I'm cutting wood this weekend. Enough for two. One for me that doesn't weigh 12 pounds and one for Bill to actually use. The 1st two were way too heavy.

I've used the one on the left but it's destined for someones wall in a charity auction. Bill has the one on the right. It was lighter but not enough.

Here's the sketch of the next design. I'm thinking of trying a slight double bend in one of them. The shaft will form a slight dihedral in the blade and I'll be forming two pockets to capture and guide the flow. I'm trying for a very organic look. I'm going to try to get a good flex in the shaft. My shoulders have been killing me. The nice thing is that if it doesn't flex enough I'll just take of wood until it does. Hope I don't test to destruction..... ;D

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 06:13:24 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Sketches of next paddle
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 07:00:30 PM »
You should try the dove tail cut in the tip sometime. Like Leleo Kinimaka is doing on his paddles. I recut the tip of my wood paddle to match what Leleo is doing. I think it improved the tracking. Before I made the change my paddle wandered when stroked hard. Now it strokes straighter. I'm gussing the dove tail cut allows water to flow through the slot improving tracking. I'm stoked with my paddle now.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 09:56:15 AM »
What kind of wood paddle do you have? Some that I've seen are flat. Malama's have a nice dihedral. The dovetail and the dihedral both combat blade flutter by directing flow. A flat blade will flutter when pushed hard. I like the look of the dovetail and will probably try it in the future too.

I'm interested in doing something different than what I've already seen. The combination of the dihedral with pockets is definitely different. At least in paddles so far as I know. It may be a completely stupid idea. If it doesn't work as planned I can always reshape... ;D
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 10:55:52 AM »
I have a Malama.

I've tired carbon paddles with heavy dihedral that wander a lot. Not sure dihedral is the magic bullet.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 09:49:41 AM »
Good info and I saw your mods to the Malama paddle. Looks great and sounds like it works too.

I'm going to try incorporating two slots on either side of the dihedral (think intake scoops on a car) and ridges along the sides. We'll see how it works.
Bob

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 03:51:01 PM »
Nice..I like the rounded teardrop shape.

How's it going..any pics of the progress?

What length have you decided on for it?

DJ

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
Your shoulders are killing you because they do. I don't think paddle shape is going to fix that, but if it does, it will be magic. I laid in bed two nights ago and couldn't find any position that didn't hurt.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 06:32:42 PM »
Hey DJ,

I"m going to do a few variations. One as you see in the sketch for brother bill. Another the same but with a dovetail like Leleo's (at the request of the boss). That one will be only six laminations (all cedar) to make it lighter. And one for me with some experimental shaping in the blade.

The shaft's are done for all 3. All have 12 deg. bends. I decided against any large double bend. I did build a slight one into all of them.
Here is the paddle area of my wife's:

I'm also building a specialty paddle for me. Think of it as a crutch/cane for the water. Straight shaft, thick bouyant blade. We'll see how it works. I can always reshape it.

Solid shaft, putting in 8 - 3/8" oak dowels for the sides of the blade:

Blade, mahogany banding. Lots of shaping still to be done here of course:

Handle, 1 oak dowel for the handle. Next to the mako inlay for the paddle I'll be auctioning soon for Save the Children

It will have an ovaled shaft, taper from the handle to the grip and then be of consistant width to the blade. More for bouyancy than strength. I think I'm going to glass the shaft out of safety concerns. I'm building this for the days that I'll likely be falling a lot. I'm a little concerned that a fall onto a solid shaft without glass could leave you with a spear in your hand and a blade with a spike in the surf.

I've decided that for normal use I'll need two paddles 87" for cruising with a slightly longer broader blade, and 84" for surf with a smaller, lighter, faster blade. Maybe one that works for both too... :)

I'm hoping I can find a level of flex in the shaft that helps the shoulders. Everything I've been using has no flex at all. I doubt the blade shape will help either. I'm looking more to prevent flutter there.

Bob

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 07:04:40 AM »
Stoneaxe-
Do you live on Cape Cod? If so, I would really like to come down and see your paddles.
Thanks a lot

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 08:07:24 AM »
Hi EC,

Just off Cape in Carver. I do most of my paddling (when surfing) at Nauset. I'm hoping to head down there Friday. I'll be spending the rest of the weekend building my mother a new shed..... :(

I'd be happy to show them to you. Are you thinking of building some?
Bob

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal