Author Topic: first board  (Read 2347 times)

pray4surf

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
first board
« on: October 28, 2007, 09:38:58 PM »
thinking about getting into SUP surfing and was wondering what is a good board to learn on.  Been longboarding for a while now and have decided to get one for fitness and for the fun aspect.  Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Chris

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: first board
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 06:49:13 PM »
I'll jump in on this one although I'm sure you'll soon get a variety of opinions. My advice would be to be sure you don't get a board that is less then 28" wide, I think ideally you should get one that's around 30" wide but I'm a big boy. Reason for this is initial stability- the width will give you a larger chance for early success and will keep you coming back to the water even if it's choppy. Below 28" (or even right at it) and you'll have your hands full just staying on the thing. As long as it's got width, length is debatable. I'd suggest something around 11' depending on your weight. My wife started on a SOSShapes Big Blue (see the board review section) I started on his Big Red- two boards that I still have and like very much for many reasons (again, go to the board review section)- both are over 28" wide.

Resign yourself to the fact that you'll eventually want a smaller board. I'm on a super fun 10' by 30" custom board by Tim Stamps made for what we got here in California. Once you've got some skill, if you're all screwed up on this sport- go find a local shaper who's got some boards under his belt and get yourself a custom board, you won't regret it! Good luck, and hide your wallet.

vwguy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: first board
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 03:35:22 PM »
Hi 
I started out on a munoz super glide 27" wide i have been surfing for 35 yrs. I found that theres alot more to being able to transition to sup surfing then width and length . lots of the boards being sold to newbies non surfers are very limiting  if they ever want to move on into surfing . and alot of the boards made by long time surf board shapers are'nt  the best for surfers try to get into this side of it . The sub 11' boards limit your learning curve because unless your in the islands you'll be working alot harder to catch waves and learn the basic it takes to comfortably get in the right place in the lineup to catch waves . And then getting back out is the next big step so if you get somthing that every ones seem to thinks is a great surfing shape you may be limiting your self and get frustrated .

I have done the learning curve and and you realy have to practice the basics to feel good catching real down the line waves . and if you give up stabilty to soon you won't progress . I see a number of shops selling the lastest version to newbies and surfers . But thats the biz end , i'm very into teaching and learning about what makes it easy and comfortable for folks to enjoy this great side of surfing so try some boards before you buy one.
smooth waves
len

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal