Author Topic: Paddle talk  (Read 5745 times)

vwguy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paddle talk
« on: November 06, 2007, 03:18:41 PM »
Hey guys
Well I have been doing alot of teaching and have been trying alot of paddles over the past 6 month . So if anyone would like some input here it is. I  started with the infinity 8 1/2'" general allarond model to start with It had a few good points but from 1-10 it's a 6.5 not real comfortable ,not real light , and did'nt give as much out as you put in trying to catch waves . next was the 2 piece carbon shaft c4 paddle it was a 7.9 light enough , good feel even with the round shaft , good drive , and very comfy handle . Next it broke down and got the all carbon 8 1/2 " c4 , it's a 9.0 ,light great feel oval shape ,comfy handle , great drive out of the block for catching waves . so far my favorite surfing paddle . next i ordered a gillespi wood double bend 9" blade paddle for open water stuff it's a 9.0 as far as paddling and covering water not the lightest but the shaft is very comfy as well as the handle and the double bend put your arms in a very relaxed posture ,5 mile paddles are a breeze . I just got the quick blade nakaha paddlles to teach with there the lightest so far a good 8.5  and very good general all around . I have a piahi model coming which is close to the c4 i'll update you on it soon

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Paddle talk
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 04:09:54 PM »
Interesting stuff. I just bought the wood for my second try at paddle making. Ist ones came out pretty but too much beef. Numbers 3 and 4 will be one double bend and one regular with a focus on lightness.

How do you like the double bend for surf?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

vwguy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 06:44:59 PM »
Hi guys

I don't use a DB for surfing they are on the hefty side 1 1/4 lb. And a light straight shaft is fine for surfing . I'm having gillespi make me balsa carbon blage wood double bend with a quickblade carbon handle for a HP race paddle it should be a lot better as far as swing weight .

I did get to meet with jim at quickblade paddles and picked up a Paehi paddle . jims a great guy and has some great paddles in his line , The paehi is just like the ad says , made for strong paddlers starts delivering thurst as soon as the tip enters and right till it leaves the water the combo of the blade angle and the scoop design along with the stiffer shaft make it a real power paddle . Lairds names on  it need i say more . I guess i should his names on others too, quickblades are all very well thought out and jim his 3 styles which cover alot of range as far as skill is concerned . the paehi is better suited for experianced strong paddlers . compared to most other Hi performance paddles this gives very bit of output you put into it but you need have good technique and strength to use it to it's best advantage .

overall for the money i rate it a 9.5 looks great, feels great  handles feel very comfy after a couple of hours and there the lightest around . Jim showed me his testing setup and the shafts are tough.

just so you understand i buy these paddles none are freebies so i'm just telling you as i feel it them out . i'm going to get one of his pops paddles to try also it has a bit more cup in the blade then the kanaha model i'll keep you posted .

Poppy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 06:55:10 PM »
Howz'it
Was checking out Hoe Wa'a pladdles, any one has one? What do you think?
Might get one.
Mahalo

rocadura

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 02:11:46 PM »
you americans are  lucky to have malamas...and other builders.....heard malamas paddles rock.   

da question?????
anybody know a good source in europe for paddles.  ?

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2007, 03:47:26 PM »
Howz'it
Was checking out Hoe Wa'a pladdles, any one has one? What do you think?
Might get one.
Mahalo

I had one. The shaft is super fat. It's like paddling around with a log in your hand. My friend had one as well and cracked the shaft where the handle meets. Can't recommend it.

A Kialoa at $329 retail sounds like a lot but it is money well spent. I've had mine for a while now and it's a bargain compared to Hoe Wa'a

Poppy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2007, 06:03:42 PM »
Thanks, I guess it's  KIaloa.
mahalo

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 07:20:44 PM »
Here's the blade on #4. This one paddles real nice. Next one is even lighter, all cedar, more slender shaft. This blade is poplar and the shaft has a single lamination of mahogany. Using all cedar I'll probably cut 8-10 ozs. I'm 6'4" 265 and I LEAN on this thing. Strong as hell with the 6 laminations.

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 08:41:04 PM »
I'm feelin ya VW guy ...Quickblade paddles are the best and just can't be beat. Stoneaxe makes a beautiful work of art for a paddle though, I'd have a hard time putting one of those in the water.

rocadura

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 07:12:29 AM »
Here's the blade on #4. This one paddles real nice. Next one is even lighter, all cedar, more slender shaft. This blade is poplar and the shaft has a single lamination of mahogany. Using all cedar I'll probably cut 8-10 ozs. I'm 6'4" 265 and I LEAN on this thing. Strong as hell with the 6 laminations.

stones...good job. looks awsome.  you could probably post  a short home made paddle manual for a dumbass like me understand.  we would very much a preciate it.  aloha

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 08:34:07 AM »
Stoneaxe-
That looks awesome.
ECSUP

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 07:05:11 PM »
Rocadura,

Already done....I blogged my #1 and 2 build
http://www.ponohouse.com/ponoblog/2007/09/06/headed-for-the-wall-my-complete-newb-status-exposed/

#1 was way too heavy but it worked out well. I added some artwork and auctioned it for charity. ECSUP bought #1 for the fundraiser. Thanks again Mike.
http://www.ponohouse.com/ponoblog/2007/11/25/save-the-children-sup-paddle-auction-goes-live/

The process for #4 was the same. I just took off a lot more wood. I still think I have a way to go for optimal combo of weight and strength.. I'm tempted to reshape #4 until I break it just to see how far I can go with weight reduction but somehow I can't bring myself to do it.

#5 is going to bro Bill and should be nice and light. For all you Maui folks that are planning on attending the big board test it should be out there by then. Ask Bill to check it out and let me know what you think.
Bob

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again