Author Topic: Multi part deck pads  (Read 5277 times)

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Multi part deck pads
« on: July 21, 2007, 04:55:46 PM »
I was over picking up a deck pad at the Hi-Tech sale today, and ran into some friends who were hanging out with Sean Ordonez by the pad rack.  I pitched them my idea of a pre-cut multi part deck pad (similar to the traction pads used for shortboards, but obviously much bigger).  Sean said that he had some already being built (great minds and all that).  My thought was for a standard traction pad in the rear, inset into a larger deck pad with removable width strips (from the center) and removable length strips from the tail.  A quick mockup:

Sean said the one that is coming will be a 4 part pad (my idea had more parts).  It will be interesting to see what it looks like.  Needless to say, Sean is a great designer and a very creative guy.

Best, Randy
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 07:28:49 AM by Admin »

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Multi part deck pads
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »
multiplexing a natural surface treatment would seem to serve a variety of purposes, which would include cutting down on the weight through the elimination of some of the material employed. this translates to a cost savings while providing additional traction through the use of negative space. the primary being the aesthetic value of the artistic expression. an example of this may be a tessellated construct that would convey lightness and uniformity.

in other words... i'm thinking of doing a basket weave pattern using a material such as cork.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 08:15:50 PM »
the saga continues...

luckily had the presence of mind to order a paddle and deck traction from infinity to coincide with the arrival of my sup board. even gave a call to board manufacturer i know who fronted me a few sets of foam wedges to accent the traction. once receipt of the sup board i faced the problem of the critical placement of the foam angled blocks (or if they would they even be needed). initially, the quick and temporary solution was a few strips of cork... at least that was the intention. now after successfully test riding this type of application i feel that this might be a great alternative to the status quo. best part is: it works!

this is the start of a basket weave design which also makes an interesting symbol.
this natural accent on the composite of carbon adds that necessary bit of soul.

these strips were merely a quick solution to impatience and excitement (i finally have my board!!!)
it has the look and feel of those old wooden motor boats.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 09:15:23 PM »
I have a 6 piece die cut pad on the way, cut channels to help vent away water from the deck. Outline is to a 28" board, center channel will grow as the board gets wider. Can be cut on the straight edges to customize if needed, or for a pintail (these are for square tail. Avail in gray, lt. gray and camo. This will  be available in about 4 weeks. It will have a low customer price piont.

Also have templates to custom cut some of the popular production models, doing an order this week of 12 for SOS boards.

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 04:49:55 AM »
Big Island Mike,
Could you send me a draing or picture of how the pads look. I need for my SOS Big Green, and a friend need for a Big Blue.

Rand,
Did Sean say anything about when his pads will be available?

Best,

Jesper

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 04:57:04 AM »
Rand,
Did Sean say anything about when his pads will be available?

No sir, he just said, on the way. 

Best,
Randy

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 03:55:33 PM »
Happy to see seomething along these lines in production.  I thinks that we are likely to see many more with a variety o pattern options etc.

http://www.standupzone.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=90&cat=6

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 09:21:29 AM »
Wow, Rand, that's a very cool design. Makes great sense too. I think if you made it out of thin material similar to the pad on the Starboard that you'd really have something.  If you did a compound reverse curve in the front with one of the slits at the base of the second curve it could accomodate more shapes and sizes without trimming.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007, 02:56:00 PM »
OK, lets see the sketch.

Thanks,
Rand

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal