Author Topic: Knee problem  (Read 2106 times)

MB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Knee problem
« on: July 15, 2009, 10:51:11 AM »
I have been SUPing for about 6 weeks, all flatwater/chop, usually 30-60min sessions. I made technique adjustments that have really helped my shoulders and elbows (mostly body rotation and keeping the arms straight). But now I am having issues with my right knee (ACL surgery 2 years ago), which is probably from the torque I'm putting on it when I rotate my torso. It hurts only a little or not at all during paddling, but as soon as I stop, it becomes sore below the kneecap and to the inside. It also swells a little. Any ideas on technique and foot placement, or some exercises, that might help alleviate this?

EastFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Knee problem
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:50:03 AM »
I'm only a few months myself so I can appreciate the early pains.  It was recently recmmended to me to stagger my stance to help with surfing.  Maybe just staggering a little say heel to toe might take some pressure off you knee.

surfslider

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 12:39:27 PM »
I have been sup surfing for a couple years.  If your stance is too wide you put more pressure on thighs and knees.  The closer you get your feet together the more you can include your ankles in balancing.  Feet wide is more gross control feet closer together is more fine control.  Also remember to relax.  Hope this helps.

MB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:36:39 PM »
Thanks surfslider. I was thinking about how my knee was bothering more snow skiing this year than last -- and I have been working on a wider ski stance. I will try to narrow up my SUP stance and see if that helps any.

This issue is more severe when I primarily paddle on the right. I think I'm planting that foot and rotating around the right hip (which is tight) and the knee.

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »
My roommate is an awesome physical therapist. I have the same knee  pains, and talked to her about it.

Her assessment was that I was leaning too far forward, which increases torque and stress on the knees. She recommended that I "stick out my butt" as a  way to reduce torque and therefore neutralize stress on the knee joint.

You can try this out  while standing up, and I think it makes a noticeable difference.
Sustainable Surf

MB

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 04:07:43 PM »
kwhilden -- that makes a lot of sense, esp. as my back started to get sore from SUP about when my knee did. Does your PT have any stretch or strengthen recommendations that might help out too?

kwhilden

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Sustainable Surf
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 06:45:50 PM »
She said to strengthen my quads via bicycling and yoga.
Sustainable Surf

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal