Author Topic: HELP ME FIGHT RULES BANNING SUP'S FROM ALL OF ORANGE COUNTY  (Read 28814 times)

kurtr

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: HELP ME FIGHT RULES BANNING SUP'S FROM ALL OF ORANGE COUNTY
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2009, 06:53:39 PM »

I was thinking that Pono Bill might want to come shirtless, wearing a polka dot speedo, zinc on the nose, a whistle around his neck and a lifeguard hat... anyone, anyone, anyone, Buehler....

SL

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Count on me to be at the meeting if I'm not working, Tim, but I'd prefer not to have to wear a speedo, if at all possible.

val

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2009, 12:23:27 AM »
strand leper, thanks for all your efforts...  I grew up at strands/creek and no longer live in CA but it scares me what sort of precedent this sort of arbitrary classification by the government could set.  good luck.

Ho'e He'e Nalu Mel

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2009, 12:48:02 PM »
All,

For the meeting, I will be bringing my 7'6" SUP (leash and safety handle), my QB paddle with safety tape around the edges, AND a friend's 10'0" longboard for comparison purposes.

Does anyone else have any other ideas for appropriate visual aids.  I was thinking that Pono Bill might want to come shirtless, wearing a polka dot speedo, zinc on the nose, a whistle around his neck and a lifeguard hat... anyone, anyone, anyone, Buehler....

SL

Tim,

Is this an open forum meting where we need bodies, or is it just you few? A copy of Stand Up Journal might show the professionalism, maybe some stats on the growth of the sport...maybe a leash too...IDK?

Also, I spoke to some guys today at the Bolsa Inlet and we spoke about getting some heavy hitters in the industry like Bob Mc Knight involved. He employs a lot of people, and I know a lot of them paddle surf.

I think that winning the hearts and minds, with integrity, professionalism and some industry backing will do us a lot of good. But then again what do I know. I am ussualy so far out in front, I am staring at my back!  ;D

Ho'e He'e Nalu Mel

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2009, 01:07:15 PM »
 ;)

I was just thinking (dangerous)....what about documented info. on how snowboarders were main streamed on to the ski slopes, how kite surfers/windsurfers share the break like at Ho'Okipa and info. on The Wedge Preservation Society (don't laugh, it worked) on keeping flotation devices out of the water at a certain time.....all are president setting events with similar impacts.....just IMHO.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2009, 02:23:26 PM »
Mel,

I appreciate your input... we can't approach it like skier versus snowboarder because we are not taking about use of private property, or use of leased forestry land, we are talking about County Ordinances that are being applied incorrectly... so from a "stoke" let's all get along perspective, we pitch the cooperation self regulation angle to the County as a way that we can operate without additional regulation.

Val:

As to involving Mcknight, I think that might be a good idea... BUT Mcknight probably won't get involved as him taking a position might piss off a VERY LARGE core portion of his company's target demographic... I hear that Bob is a great guy, but I would not want to put him in a position that potentially violates his shareholder fiduciary duty.  I already provided a copy of Standup Journal.

Thanks,

SL

American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Jon E.B.

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2009, 04:57:02 PM »
Anything a Fl guy can do to help? If you form an alliance, I will gladly join.
The threat to our sport is real (though ridiculous in it's basis).
Realistically, the issue should be one of safety and not exclusion. There is a safety issue involved with all forms of assisted waveriding, not just SUP. I have been put into dangerous situations by short and longboard idiots, wavehogs, novices, etc. This potential classification is not about safety - it is about discrimination.

(sorry about the hasty photoshop job - you get the point)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2009, 08:07:32 PM »
Does anyone else have any other ideas for appropriate visual aids.  I was thinking that Pono Bill might want to come shirtless, wearing a polka dot speedo, zinc on the nose, a whistle around his neck and a lifeguard hat... anyone, anyone, anyone, Buehler....

Now THAT is a disturbing visual. You might get them to agree to whatever you say just to get Bill to put on a robe... ;D

I'm in for any association that might be formed as well. I'm far removed from OC here in new england but my fear is the precedent this sets. Plenty of lemming bureaucrats here too.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Northern Supper

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2009, 09:26:28 PM »
Take the PRICKS in the OC Down!

The Easiest way to fight all the idiots in the OC is to claim it will violate the ADA. Typically disability groups will sue the f*ck out of businesses or city/county or state governments. Class action style to maximize the settlement.

Follow the logic. I am old, my back is injured, it is impossible for me to jump to my feet becasue of my disability. Or I am old, my joints are unable to support my weight during the transition from stomach to feet. By passing this law you will discriminate against ME.

The bottom line: You don't have to be disabled you only have to have a relationship or association with an individual that is disabled.

Also you could claim that it is "transportation". Which I am sure all the OC a-holes will claim is that it is a boat!

That Simple,

NorCal Supper

See Below....

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

The ADA prohibits discrimination on the basis of disability in employment, State and local government, public accommodations, commercial facilities, transportation, and telecommunications. It also applies to the United States Congress.

To be protected by the ADA, one must have a disability or have a relationship or association with an individual with a disability. An individual with a disability is defined by the ADA as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment. The ADA does not specifically name all of the impairments that are covered.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2009, 09:53:06 PM »
ADA? Geez, I may have to show up in that speedo after all.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2009, 06:14:39 AM »
Update:

Still waiting for my meeting with the County.  County may be busy dealing with the accidential killing of a junior LG (13 year old girl) by LG boat last week.  Freaking tragedy beyond belief.  Will give them until Friday to set meeting as I was promised a meeting last week.

As some have suggested the thread is becoming unmanageable, I will create a new one stop access thread for CA and OC issues. 

SL
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2009, 07:00:38 AM »
What a terrible tragedy. My biggest fear in life is that I outlive my kids. My thoughts and prayers to her family.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2009, 07:30:36 AM »
I'm have no idea if the ADA argument would fly and even if it did I'd hope it would be a last resort. The thought had also occured to me previously though when I heard a rumor of a SUP not being allowed on a beach here. I HAVE to SUP to have a more normal life. Two and a half years ago I was bouncing of walls when I walked, falling down occasionally, often couldn't drive. This was all because of a brain tumor on my vestibular nerve. Despite doing all the PT balance exercises for years I had seen little or no improvement. Then Bill gave me his Starboard 12-6 as possible therapy. I fell repeatedly for the first 3 months but was eventually able to get it and found that by pushing my need for balance to the extreme that it made normal life possible. No more falling, no more looking like I was drunk when I walked, being able to drive. I had my life back.

Since then I've found a direct correlation to balance and how much time I spend on my board. There have been a couple of occasions when I couldn't get out for a couple of weeks...my balance goes down the tubes. I HAVE to be able to SUP. All this is well documented both here and elsewhere. I started a post on the forum of the Acoustic Neuroma Association last December about using SUP as therapy for balance issues. I know of at least one young lady who has also taken up SUP as therapy as a result and is also having success.

The short of it..anyone trying to stop me from having access is going to get their ass sued.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:35:37 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2009, 07:57:24 AM »
Update:  Maybe good news, I will post the "interim procedures" when I get them.

Matt,

Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you and will put a hold on the “litigation” stuff.

Thanks,

Tim
Timothy M. Ryan
The Ryan Firm, APC
1100 N. Tustin Avenue, Suite 200
Anaheim, CA 92807
714-666-1362
714-666-1443 Fax
NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is confidential and protected from disclosure by the attorney-client privilege, as attorney work product, or by other applicable privileges. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:42 AM
To: tryan@theryanfirm.com
Subject: RE: Orange County - Stand Up Paddleboarding

Tim,

I understand that Parks and US Ocean Safety have come up with some interim procedures to allow stand-up paddle-boarding while they meet with the public and look into whether any revisions to current ordinances are necessary.  I will be trying to get full information on those today (as well as their schedule for meetings with you and others) and will give you a call today or tomorrow.
Thomas (Mat) Miller
Senior Deputy County Counsel
333 W. Santa Ana Blvd., Ste. 407
Santa Ana, CA 92701
Phone: (714) 834-6019
Fax: (714) 834-2359
The information contained in this electronic mail transmission is confidential and intended to be sent only to the stated recipient of the transmission.  It may therefore be protected from unauthorized use or dissemination by the attorney-client and/or attorney work-product privileges.  If you are not the intended recipient or the intended recipient's agent, you are hereby notified that any review, use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  You are also asked to notify us immediately by telephone and to delete this transmission with any attachments and destroy all copies in any form.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal