Author Topic: Our Environment  (Read 8947 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Our Environment
« on: July 19, 2007, 05:30:54 PM »
In the five short days since we have begun here, 3 members have PM'ed for a category that might seem not directly on topic - the environment.  Well, no need to twist our proverbial arm.  Here it is.  I will begin by duplicating a link here that was posted elsewhere by Chan.  This is her writing (a recent essay contest submission).

http://www.standupzone.com/thunder.htm

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Our Environment
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 03:36:41 AM »
wow! i guess numbers don't lie... they just keep multiplying.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 09:48:50 AM »
I am pleasantly surprised that you made it through it.  Great to have you on board.

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 09:47:40 PM »
though the truth can be so overwhelming, i took great pleasure in your creative expression. the honor is literally all mine.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 09:50:21 PM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 10:34:07 AM »
Just wanted to share an interesting related article from maui news:  http://mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=32757

Poppy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 03:09:03 PM »
Aloha,
Just a thought? I read alot of numbers  from these past post, quite impressive.
 So I thought I'd post mine in here too.....Christmas Day I went to practice out  at AlaMoana- magic Island side...Did quite a few laps back and forth, did not catch any waves tho just started sup about a month ago, well 2 1/2 hrs. passed and was ready to call it a day, when I saw a plastic bag  floating. I used my paddle to pick it up and put it in my pocket. Continued to paddle in, when I saw another plastic bag, so I paddled over and picked it up too. By the time I got to the beach where my truck was parked I had picked up four bags.   That  I was not looking for but just paddling...........Alamo is not a place where there is alot of trash, the grounds keepers do a great job in keeping the area clean..........But what I'm trying to get at is,  if   we all just pick up alittle bit we can and do make a difference.
                                              Aloha and Mahalo
                                              Poppy ;D

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 05:34:48 PM »
Excellent point Poppy,

Too often the magnitude of the problem leads one to believe:  What is the use?  What difference can one person make?  However, if enough people take small scale actions, such as you have described, the result is a substantial improvement.  Although there are some things floating in Kahului harbor that I would not recommend picking up.  :D

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 07:52:43 PM »
Today out at 1k Peaks with a friend who just moved back after 10 years on the Mainland... he used to spend a lot of time at 1k Peaks and was really astounded by the garbage strewn all over. Pretty sad especially since it was actually cleaner than I've seen it in awhile...  While I was paddling, he decieded to pick up what he could see right from the chair... 2 mattresses, 1 bedliner, 1 dashboard, couple plastic bags, bottles, cans etc... pretty darn sad....    Wonder what ever happened "bring it in, pack it out"...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 10:01:23 PM »
Every time I go to the beach I bring back an assortment of crap that I've picked up. Lots of plastic of course. In the summer the barrels on the beach get overloaded....do people pack up their crap and take it with them?...no...they just pile it higher or drop it next to it where the 1st wind blows it into the water. Freakin slobs....

I dislike people that litter with something approaching an obsession. I've almost gotten into fights when I comment to the slobs to pick up the crap they've just tossed. I probably would have if I wasn't 6'4 250 and looking pissed off. I just can't understand the level of laziness required to toss your crap out the window instead of at least taking it home and disposing it properly, not to mention recycling.

Any one up for a 22 mile paddle for the cause?
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=634.0
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 06:43:52 AM »
IMO, the best recent developments in this area are the ones that require zero sacrifice from the armchair environmentalist.  Truth be it known, many people are average at picking up their own garbage, let alone someone elses.  Still, when it comes time to talking about helping the environment, well...everyone is all for it.  So, two things that are currently available that help and require absolutely no sacrifice to the user, are biodegradable plastic bags (made from corn) and the new breed of flourescent bulbs (which last for 7 years, use 1/4 of the power, and are indestinguishable in use). 

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 12:17:11 PM »
Every time I go to the beach I bring back an assortment of crap that I've picked up. Lots of plastic of course. In the summer the barrels on the beach get overloaded....do people pack up their crap and take it with them?...no...they just pile it higher or drop it next to it where the 1st wind blows it into the water. Freakin slobs....

I dislike people that litter with something approaching an obsession. I've almost gotten into fights when I comment to the slobs to pick up the crap they've just tossed. I probably would have if I wasn't 6'4 250 and looking pissed off. I just can't understand the level of laziness required to toss your crap out the window instead of at least taking it home and disposing it properly, not to mention recycling.

Any one up for a 22 mile paddle for the cause?
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=634.0
I am going to have to start training but count me in. Still say do it on an easterly leaving  P-town, but then again it means yer going to have to go back to get yer vehicle. :'( Maybe do the Gloucester to Boston on a Nor Easter? I will be doing this first...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2008, 05:16:16 PM »
I missed this one tree. I'll join you on the Gloucester to Boston if I'm able. Be good as a training run. Wow...actually...that might be tougher than 7P's...almost as long and you'ld likely be getting quartered by swell the whole way.

I think I may have transportation worked out to get us from Plymouth to P-town in the morning. I have a connection, actually wife has a connection, with Capt John boat's out of Plymouth. I'm going to ask for a ride to P-town in the morning for all paddlers.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 05:24:52 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 06:56:27 PM »
WHile paddling around Point Dume this past weekend for a workout and to teach a few newbies I noticed something in the water.  It was big and I thought maybe it was a dead fish as I got closer it looked like a body eww scary ???.  But as I approached It was a garbage can that said save our environment and keep our beaches clean, recyle and so on-my how ironic.  This thing was a full sized plactic trash can, and I tied it to my leash and started pulling it up wind for about 10 minutes only to realize I was going no where and when I got it to the beach break IF I ever made it the damn thing could kill/crush me if it landed on me.  Unfortunately I couldn't do anything about it so I let it go and collected plastic trash bags in the water instead.  Must of picked up 15 plastic grocery bags just floating around.  Amazing the trash our people just let fly while enjoying the beautiful ocean what hypcrits-Just kills me and lots of fish too.  While I was collecting trash I also saw 6 dolphins so I was stoked they didn't have to encounter any of plastic bags.  Damn what a beautiful evening too.  Watched the sun set and the moon rise from my board and then paddled in and got Poundedin the beach break hahaha loved it too!
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 05:30:52 PM »
There is hope... http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2002/04/51871

There are concerns about the compact flourescents though...require a lot more energy to manufacture, have traces of mercury, and...more plastic.
Bob

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard