Author Topic: How I tape the edge of the blade of my paddles.  (Read 34961 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
How I tape the edge of the blade of my paddles.
« on: June 10, 2009, 10:57:07 AM »
Here's some pictures showing how I tape the edge of the blade of my paddles.. It may help those who've never done it before.

For those who have done theirs before will know it's no big deal and pretty easy to do but I've been asked many times how I get mine looking so neat.

First you need a good quality tape ( I use electrical tape) .. I have used a few different brands and found some better than others.

I like the Nitto brand.. It's available here from most petrol stations and only costs a few dollars.

First I wash my paddle down with soapy water and rinse.

I use Kialoa paddles and I start my tape from where the shrink tape collar is that covers the join between the blade and shaft.

Here's the trick.. When you peel this type of tape it stretches heaps.. You need to let it stretch back and relax before starting to stick it down for the first bit.

If you don't do this when it gets hot on a hot day it will slide back and leave a sticky mess from the glue and look pretty bad.

When taping along the first straight edge of the blade don't stretch the tape.. let it relax back before sticking it down making sure you have 50% each side of the blade.

Now you can pull and stretch the tape as you come to the corner of the blade but only stretch it enough to stop any wrinkles.. You don't need to stretch it that much.

Once you get to the straight bottom part of the blade let the tape relax again before sticking it down.. This helps keep the full thickness of the tape.

Once you've stretched to get around the second corner let it relax as you do the last straight bit.. all the time try and keep it 50% each side.

I usually cut the tape a little long when I get to the end.. Again these end bits must not be stretched or it will slide back after-wards.

I then trim it off to just the right length.

You will end up with a very neat looking taped edge.

If the reason that you tape your blade is to guard against board damage from tapping your paddle against you board rail you may want to do a second layer of tape.

I only use one layer.

I peel it off and replace it every few months or when it get nicks and cuts because you loose the ability to stealth paddle with a chopped up edge and the rough edge looks bad.

I tape my paddle blade edges even though I hardly ever tap the rails of my boards now.. I do it to protect the paddle and most importantly to protect me.

I've  accidentally tapped my foot with my paddle and jeeez it can hurt and also cut because your skin gets soft from being wet and more prone to cuts.

I've also rested my paddle blade on the deck of my board once without tape and it slide across the deck and left a nasty scratch that would not have happened with tape.

That's about it.. Easy-peasy isn't it..  :)

DJ

WB_BB

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How I tape the edge of the blade of my paddles.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:46:51 PM »
http://3mindustrialtransportation.thomasnet.com/ImgSmall/2228%20Mastic%20Tape%20cc.jpg

The link above also has a tape that I have found works well. It is a Moisture Sealing Electrical Tape and it is a little thicker than regular electric tape but very pliable to bend around the paddle.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 06:53:43 PM »
You might want to try a layer of hockey tape over the electrical tape--makes it all last a lot longer. I also use hockey tape on the handle for grip, and I wax the heck out of it--both on the grip and on the blade. Makes the tape just the right stickiness on the grip and makes the tape last longer on the blade.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 05:37:56 AM »
Yeah...I've had the mastic with hockey tape and wax on my paddle for over 3 months now and its still fine. Doesn't look as good as DJ's though...in fact it's downright fugly.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 03:42:05 AM »
I will have to try that DJ. I do it the same but always get the bumps around the curved parts...

Surferden

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 08:52:07 AM »
Hey davidjohn, just tried your idea, excellent!!! really easy to put the tape on the blade, looking forward to trying it and see how long it lasts.. but easy to renew eh? and cheap to boot. Also, having read about paddle position in the water, I have started to paddle with the shaft along the rail of the board with the paddle half under the rail, found this works well, much straighter line when paddling hard for a wave so I just put this rail/shaft saver on the paddle to protect both.

Just scroll down abit on my webpage,

http://www.predator-wetsuits.co.uk/SUP.htm

Sorry, how do you attach an image to a thread?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 09:02:38 AM by Surferden »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 05:14:54 PM »
Hey davidjohn, just tried your idea, excellent!!! really easy to put the tape on the blade, looking forward to trying it and see how long it lasts.. but easy to renew eh? and cheap to boot. Also, having read about paddle position in the water, I have started to paddle with the shaft along the rail of the board with the paddle half under the rail, found this works well, much straighter line when paddling hard for a wave so I just put this rail/shaft saver on the paddle to protect both.

Just scroll down abit on my webpage,

http://www.predator-wetsuits.co.uk/SUP.htm

Sorry, how do you attach an image to a thread?

Great site..  :) ..

btw.. To post a pic you just need to add .. [im g] .. befor and .. [/im g] .. after the pic url number. (without any gaps)

DJ

« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 05:23:47 PM by DavidJohn »

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 01:00:48 AM »
Electrical tape works but we found that it wears through quickly.  This high performance edge tape lasts significantly longer.

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 08:15:28 AM »
You can buy a lot of rolls of electrical tape at 69 cents a roll compared to 12 dollars for one tape job.
My tape jobs last about a month or more and I can use different colors.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 09:32:44 AM »
But time is also worth something and the more tape we trash, the more plastic in the world.

I'm always interested in ways to do something "less times" as, for me, I'd rather be on the water.

bean

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 10:37:42 AM »
I use different color tape and it makes grabbing the right paddle off the rack a no-brainer.  But, I have to admit the "performance edge" does look good. How easy is it to get off the paddle when it comes time for a fresh one?  Will it just peel off or should you apply some heat?

paddlesurfpastor

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 04:23:19 PM »
Great tips. Thanks for the pics.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 07:08:45 PM »
Bean, I just tested it on my paddle, the high performance paddle edge came off without leaving any sticky residue, so it not only holds up much better than electric tape, it's also easier to replace.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:13:32 PM by blueplanetsurf »
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 01:23:45 PM »
Paddle Edge Tape special offer:

Just to let all Zoners know, we are running a buy 2 get 1 free web only special on the high performance paddle edge tape:

http://www.blueplanetsurf.com/product.php?productid=16565&cat=290&page=4

Mahalo for your business!
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
We recently launched a new website, here is the new link for the high performance paddle edge tape:
http://blueplanetsurf.com/collections/sup-surf-accessories/products/blue-planet-paddle-edge-tape
Robert Stehlik
Hawaii's SUP HQ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal