Author Topic: Hotwire progress  (Read 2917 times)

TWsup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hotwire progress
« on: March 30, 2013, 11:38:05 AM »
Some of you guys out there move way faster than me.

Got shop set up and the hotwire working. I used a DC Lab power source that cost me 800sek ( about 120 usd). I was happy to get it to work. I am " challenged" when it comes to electricity.

A friend of mine made CNC milled the templates from CAD files i  made ( exported from Shape3D) so i´m ready to get my EPS and glue it up to make the blank.
Bark Competitor 12-6
Fanatic Allwave 9-2
Naish Keiki 9-0

createinquiry

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hotwire progress
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »
Looks great!

I'm on the third incarnation of my bow and the biggest improvement is the spring I used to keep my wire under tension as it heated and stretched.  (You can see the springs on the right side of my bow.)

Edit: Looks like Your cable assembly might take care of this for you though.

TWsup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:15:08 AM »
i could not find any springs at my local stores, so I'm using the bungee to keep tension on the wire.

I have my power source at maximum. my feed wire from power is 5 m long, so perhaps if I shorten it it will give me more power.
Bark Competitor 12-6
Fanatic Allwave 9-2
Naish Keiki 9-0

punasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:28:38 AM »
Look for springs at your local auto parts store.  They usually have a good assortment.

createinquiry

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 01:12:16 PM »
Don't know if you cut the cord yet, but shortening it shouldn't make much a difference if I'm understanding you right.

Sounds more like you need more resistance in the wire you're using for the cutting. Without resistance in the wire, the current flows too easily, so only a little heat gets generated. I've had good luck with guitar strings. I know nothing about music, so all I can say is that I use the single wire, as opposed to the "wound?" strings.

TWsup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 09:04:18 AM »
thanks for the info. Wire gets hot enough, but just...Ill order some smaller guage Nichrom just incase

T
Bark Competitor 12-6
Fanatic Allwave 9-2
Naish Keiki 9-0

SUPflorida

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 06:17:50 AM »
My hotwire transformer is from Aircraftsprucesupply and goes from 0 to 120...anything much over 18 and poof...the wire vaporizes...(fishing single strand) leader wire works great...is cheap and readily available ...something in the 160 to 200 lb test range if I remember correctly.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal