Author Topic: Installing a Carry Handle, Anyone Done It?  (Read 15074 times)

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Installing a Carry Handle, Anyone Done It?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 12:22:35 AM »
I was a big fan of the Surfco stick-ons. I did all the prep work (cleaned with acetone, sand). I have install these on all my PSH boards, 10-6AA, 10-6WAA, 9-6WR. Well today one of the stick-ons poped off while I was carrying my 10-6AA in the wind. I got lucky that it didn't hit the pavement. I ended up drilling two holes and installing two leash plugs with epoxy. Very easy to install and bullet proof.
OK........If I may I would like to put in my experience on handles and it's pros & cons..With the surfco handle the good thing I see with those handle is when you wash your board, your able to flip it, roll it or manipulate it in any position to make washing your board convenient.......The bad part of it is there not trusting (IMO)....WHY!!!    Well the guy from surfco that made theses handle asked if we (Pacific Rad Sports) can R&D the prototype back in February. I had it installed on an 11'-6", followed the instruction (sand, clean, wipe with "primer", peel back, and stick) and after two day of use the handle failed......Now my install didn't fail it was the "sticky back" that separated from the plug that failed. Now he said he'll correct the problem.

So I guess the problem was solved. But IMHO a trust factor still becomes into play if I'm walking over some reef area or rocks........I can't help but question it (due to experience)

Aloha.....Sam
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:28:19 AM by Sam Pa'e »

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 01:00:25 AM »
I don't know, I feel that replacing some of the foam with a chunk of epoxy (that's really what will be happening), shouldn't affect the integrity of the board. 
Just remember to make your cut hole very minimal.....you can achieve this by making a template...this will help to make your your hole bigger then it needs to be.

Obviously, if there is a stringer that you are interfering with, that would be a major issue.  Bob said to always go 2" off the center to avoid any stringer that may be there.
Yes if there is a stringer you do not want to disrupt it's integrity......move the handle off center at lease 2"

Just ordered the Walden "flange" handle box from Bob at Mission Surf.  He spent a while explaining how I should go about the install when I get it.  Can't wait to install it!!  Price was quite reasonable at appx $20 w/ shipping.
I will post pics etc when I do it.  Anyone out there looking to retro fit a board w/ a handle - give Bob at Mission Surf a call, he was super helpful, very knowledgeable and a real nice guy!!  Mission Surf - 858.483.8837
Well I to called Bob at Mission Surf to inquire on those handle. He was very helpful, he explained to me how he installs it and to stay 2" off the center off the stringer

Here's how we install the handle on this race board.....it had NO stringer so we just laid it in the center!......Enjoy

Aloha.....Sam

beachcomber

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 04:59:45 AM »
Thanks Sam for the slide show tutorial.
Have to agree that I would not want to trust the strap to carry my new PSH across the pavement.

So much sharing of knowledge on this site.... great bunch of people.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 08:01:51 AM »
i agree with the current sentiments re the surfco plugs.  they may work fine for most people but the trust factor is not there.  i used them on a SUP 1 or two years ago and they popped right off.  formulations have changed since then, i gather, but still i'm uneasy.

otoh, i have used the much-larger NSI footstrap surface mounts with great success six times with no failures.  one thing i've done is edge the plates with epoxy before sticking em down.  they're on there rock solid.  i believe my board will fail before they do.  (oops, did i just jinx myself?)

as ever, ymmv

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 09:19:30 AM »
Hey linter,
otoh, i have used the much-larger NSI footstrap surface mounts with great success six times with no failures.  one thing i've done is edge the plates with epoxy before sticking em down.  they're on there rock solid.  i believe my board will fail before they do.  (oops, did i just jinx myself?)
Remember this link?......Me and you went through this hole discuusion about NSI mounts....I like'um and they work really well.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1990.15

We at Pacicific Rad Sports still use theses mounts till this day......They have a better holding surface (wider surface area) then the EZ Plug...

Aloha.....Sam

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 09:53:17 AM »
yup,  it's absolutely sam who got me started down the NSI road.  and so ... thanks, Sam!  and to me, it really is the easiest, best solution.  sure do wish the things were cheaper tho.

emorick

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 11:12:16 AM »
I have the SurfCo adhesive handles on two of my boards.  PSH 9'6"WAA and a Yolo Original 12'.  I bought the "flat" handles and they recess pretty well into the deck pad (I cut deckpad below handle).

Handles have been on approximately one month.  Handles work great especially for my wife and newbees that are trying SUP for first time.

Unfortunatley handle on the Yolo fell off on first use....  Not sure if it was bad prep or what.  Prepped again and glues with 5min Epoxy and has held strong.  

With the one failing I am always a little leary of carrying on sidewalk.......

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:16:06 AM by emorick »

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 07:57:50 PM »
Hey Bob - just got it put in today, thanks for your help in walking me through it over the phone, thanks for your help also Sam.  I will post pics when I figure out how.....Anyway, The handle came out great, should be ready in the am - Thanks!!
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

Sam Pa'e

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 09:42:19 AM »
Attention Hawaii SUP'er

If anyone want a handle installed on their board..............feel free to PM me.

pavedwave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 10:44:13 PM »
My Stewart SUP is a bit of beast to carry but I still like its "clean" surf wax top.  Have been hesitating to drill into it, though the flushbox mounted Surftech handle is tempting-- I'd want the local surfshop to do it professional-like if ever go that route, I'm just not comfortable whacking into this board!!

Here's another option that seems like pretty reasonable solution, sans board surgery.

http://motionboardshop.com/stand-up-paddleboarding/sup-carrier-strap.html

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 12:19:29 AM »
Hummm.. that looks pretty cool.. I'm just getting ready to drop my F16 off for an additional leash plug to allow for a strap... Maybe this would work too.  Wonder how big a board they will handle...?

Davy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 09:50:27 AM »
check out

thebighookhawaii.com

(SUP board carrier)

Barknuckle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 10:22:02 AM »
Have you ever checked out this product?   http://www.barknuckle.com/ The barknuckle is how to carry your standup paddleboard .
this product makes it completely unnecessary to do any modifications to your board.  It goes on with just a flick of the levers and is removed without ever leaving a mark by flipping the levers to the upright position

Also, the barknuckle has limitless possibilities as an attachment point.  I attached my go pro camera and got a cool POV video.  Check it here

BarKnuckle™ going for a ride a whihala county park 8/22/09

cory

pavedwave

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 10:48:13 AM »
That bighook looks simple and cool, simplicity in design is always good.   

One thing I still like about the carrier strap is it's easy to fold up and stash in the brush or throw in a backpack.   Katie at Motion will get back to me on specifics about it, she said it holds the biggest, widest SUP they rent.   

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Casa Bonita Vacation Rentals
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2011, 04:39:10 AM »
I just installed a SUP handle using Sam's technique as described above.  It went smoothly but I have a question.  If for some reason the handle is not perfectly sealed in the hole, will the foam blank absorb water?  The board is a 2008 Jimmy Lewis Hanalei.  Right now the handle is recessed below the deck pad just like the pics above, so there is no real way to see if everything is sealed up tight.    I could cut away more pad and lay in more epoxy to be extra sure, but wont bother if the blank will not absorb water anyway. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard