Author Topic: Getting a snugg SUP bag on Maui + flying my new darling home to Sweden  (Read 3425 times)

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I just finalized my order of a Katzuma Custom SUP. It will be 9'4 x 27''1/2. I will come over to Maui in February and March to surf it and to bring it back home to Sweden. Two questions:

1) Will I find a good traveler bag that this board will fit snuggly into, once on Maui. Or will I need to order one in advance and maybe from somewere else? If so from where?

2) Flying home with Amarican airlines this board will be bigger than there "formal" maximum size on both surf and windsurf boards (total of 115'' allowed, this borad will be 150') - will they be picky or not (I have brought bigger stuff home before, but also feel that they are becoming more picy every year)? What is your experience?

It is getting cold (more cold) over here, but we still get out when the waves are nice.. Might do a short Marocco trip before Maui - but DO I LONG for gettting back to that magic island!!!!!

Best,

Jesper

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a snugg SUP bag on Maui + flying my new darling home to Sweden
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 08:44:06 AM »
Hi Jesper,

I added in all of the bags that I could find specs on this morning on the new Product Reviews page (link above on the menu bar).

My guess is that bags will be readily available with way more options come Feb/March.  There is way bigger selection at all of the shops on all Stand Up gear than when you left.  To be on the safe side, though, email some of the shops for availability.

Best, Rand

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 09:43:28 AM »

2) Flying home with Amarican airlines this board will be bigger than there "formal" maximum size on both surf and windsurf boards (total of 115'' allowed, this borad will be 150') - will they be picky or not (I have brought bigger stuff home before, but also feel that they are becoming more picy every year)? What is your experience?

Best,

Jesper

It might be less hassle to tell the airline you have a windsufer in the bag. Then it falls under specific rules the counter agent can understand. Simpler and safer check-in. Size rules can be strict, but when you say it is a windsurfer, then it goes hassle free for fixed price.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 10:02:22 AM »
Congrats on the new board!        9'-4" is 112" so even if you get a bigger bag the finished size will be around 120" or less if you fold and tape the extra.      DAKINE makes a great 10'-6" bag.     The airlines will not enforce the length issue if you are a nice customer.    Pay whatever they ask because its going to be waaaay cheaper than shipping it.   Have fun!

Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

boots

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 12:24:17 PM »
Depending on how thick your board is, it might fit into a 12' dakine regular longboard bag. My board is 26.5" wide, 3.5" thick and the width fits snuggly into a 10'6" dakine regular longboard bag (not a paddleboard bag). I had a guy cut the nose off right above where the zipper starts so the length fits my 8'10" board. For traveling you could just tape the nose of the bag down like Blane said.

When you get your board on maui just take it to some shops and ask to try fit it in different bags. Windsurf bags and longboard bags will probably be cheaper than any bag designed for a stand-up board. It seams like everything made for stand-ups is over priced.

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 06:40:26 AM »
Thanks for all advice!

Blane, I was very close to order a board from you. If I had gone to Maui this winter, I would have ordered from you. But since I'm a Maui guy and more or less always surfed Matt's boards, it became a Katzuma. But something tells me it will not be my last SUP...

Bags,
To this board I would like a bag as snug and custom fitting as possible. Not a to long long board bag or an oversized windsurf or SUP bag. Is somebody doing custom bags on Maui?

Best,

Jesper

Rand

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 08:06:48 AM »
Hi Jesper,
http://www.dsurf.com/
No Maui customs that I know of, but these guys are AWESOME.  They made our bags, and they are perfect.  We have flown with them without issue.  If I were going further than inter island, I would leave extra room to wrap with bubble wrap.  You also might want this, as a wet traction pad can be hard to pull out of the bag if the fit is too tight.

Best, Rand

Big Island Mike

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 11:55:25 PM »
Scott T (DaKine rep for hawaii) said he found a bunch of 9'6 bags that would be perfect for a SUB. He is sending me one, I will let you know the dimensions. These are old models and can go for cheap. Maybe some of you Maui guys can buy them all out.

Jesper B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 02:28:51 AM »
9'6 Dakine sounds perfect!

I know Scotty, but I'v lost his phone # and email. Can you help me get in touch with him. My email is jesper.blomberg@hhs.se

Best,

Jesper

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal