Author Topic: Standup - Is it easy?  (Read 11137 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Standup - Is it easy?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 02:27:42 PM »
How easy is it?.. It depends on the board and the conditions.

I paddle daily around the St Kilda marina here in Melbourne Oz and it's the main city beach.

We get so many tourists every day walking out on the pier and will ofter ask me about this strange thing that I'm doing.

I will often talk them into having a go so they can see just how easy it is.

No one has fallen off yet.. But sometimes I think a wet T shirt might be a good thing..  :D

Here's a couple of pics from the other day.. These girls were rapt and wanted a pic with me..  :-*

DJ

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 02:34:23 PM by DavidJohn »

1chef1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 05:58:21 PM »
Aloha,

We have just returned from my second attempt this new addiction I have.  Huge difference, balance was much better and paddling went on for minutes instead of seconds.  If a thirteen year old says "dad your not as big of a kook today" something got to feeling right. Thousand Peaks was flat, lucky for me still, but the wind popped up at times, still killer day.

I am still not sure of the paddle size. Local shop loaned me a 84" Werner, very cool, but seemed long.  I am 5'11" at 165ish, any input would be great, trying an 80" Saturday.

Mahalo for any advice.

John 8)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 06:01:02 PM by 1chef1 »

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 06:51:48 PM »
I am 5'11 and paddle a 78" kialoa methane

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 11:27:25 PM »

I am still not sure of the paddle size. Local shop loaned me a 84" Werner, very cool, but seemed long.  I am 5'11" at 165ish, any input would be great, trying an 80" Saturday.

Mahalo for any advice.

John 8)

6' and I paddle a 80" Werner spanker, nice length,  a few inches either side of that wouldnt really trouble me

Hoffenator

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 03:17:39 AM »
I'm 6' and use an 82" Kialoa.  Seems like the right length for flat water, but a little long in the surf.  I bought the Kialoa adjustable and I'm going to experiment with different lenghts to find out what works best for me in surf vs flat water.

Deb

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2009, 05:06:54 PM »
I'm 5'4" and use a 70 1/2" Powerx (Sean Ordonez) paddle. Good for wave riding conditions.

Shawn Michael

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2009, 12:39:16 PM »
I use 12in overhead.  I feel that with anything shorter I am compromising my reach or I start having to bend my back to get the full blade of the paddle underwater and get a good catch up front.  I see so many different styles of paddle stroke, some folks dont fully submerge the paddle blade or use a short rapid stroke so.....but dont hurt you back out of fear of a longer paddle jacking up your shoulders...if you keep the elbow of your top hand down, and keep your rear delt and external rotators strong you should be fine...the back is not as easy to work with!

SUP took about 2 months, lost of miles on the flat focusing on the stoke mechanics and some coaching to really feel like I have my style nailed down.  Took about 5 sessions to get my legs to the point where I could stand as long as I wanted on the flat, and after 2-3 months or whatever I finally feel I have pretty good balance in the choppy water...but until I go out with some other folks I dont really know what kind of ability I am developing.  If I was 21 and 40lbs lighter I am sure the whole process would have take half the time...I can only go out 2 times a week and I think 3-4 weekly sessions would really accelerate the whole process, too bad I gotta work!

Probably going into the wind in these photos too but if you keep your elbow of the top hand down it takes  much of the the stress off the shoulder...if you are doing heavy cable pulldowns you will see this really fast if you flair your elbows out to the side you feel the pain pretty quick...note the length of the paddles....top racers here.  Surfing in a lineup is another story I dont know about.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 12:46:48 PM by Shawn Michael »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 07:09:18 PM »
Did a demo/clinic on Saturday for 10 newbs on flatwater...wide range of folks with different backgrounds, some windsurfers, surfers, some no water (at least on a board) experience at all. Most of them took to it pretty quickly, a couple struggled at 1st then started to settle in after an hour or so.

Today I took my daughter's boyfriend Jason out for his 1st lesson. Not the best conditions for a first try...slight chop and some knee high waves rolling through. He is a good athlete but has no water experience at all. I had him on my 12-6 and for the first 15 mins I thought he was going to drown. In fact he caused the lifeguards to come out and ask us to come in closer in case they needed to rescue his butt. After a half hour he was exhausted. My daughter was next...she was having an easier time of it but still said she would rather wait for some calmer conditions so she could enjoy it more.

Jason comes back out and things start clicking for him...he catches a little wave by mistake while starting to stand and rides it to the beach. BIG SMILE and laugh. All of a sudden he starts jumping up quick, getting into a good stance and paddling hard. He catches another wave...this time on purpose....I'm shocked. less than an hour total time on the water and he's caught a wave. granted it was a little knee high thing...probably a wake from a coastal tanker that had passed by actually but still. The hook is set deep. He's going to be joining me more often.

So is it easy....depends. I sucked for along time. Still do by the standards of the folks here on the zone. I know I'm never going to stop feeling challenged... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal