Author Topic: Blair SUP - WaveRod - Honesty and Ethics?  (Read 87064 times)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Blair SUP - WaveRod - Honesty and Ethics?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 07:20:31 AM »
Mr. Joe Blair,
I laughed at the baby powder because that is the first thing that I stock up on when I head for the tropics (the pure cornstarch kind). Nobody wants "huevos en fuego" from wearing wet trunks.

I am glad that it looks like using this forum is working this out. This IS about honesty and ethics, which I can see that you have a lot of. Your boards look great. I would love to demo one.
Are there any up here in Nor-Cal?

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 07:23:03 AM »
Just have to watch for a "New" company to pop-up as those type of people just go under a bit and then back out under a new name.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 08:57:36 AM »

I'm sorry to read this...we're not big enough of an industry yet to experience this...though it might very well be an ominous sign for the future...it certainly will happen again....which is EXACTLY why I was rooting for the initial thread to not be taken down.

Surely there will be more information about this moving forward, but if we let threads stay, it gives other people an opportunity to learn from it. 

In any case, I hope things get resolved.

A.

Joe Blair

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
hey - hang with me on this stuff.  i was told that you could change something on your post but i can't figure out how to do this.  So I am making it here.

I want to change what was said about Mr. Chun and Bill Foote boards - it was not ment that they had used other shapes to make their boards rather that others had learned from their shapes.

I have seen Mr Chun's / Bill Foote boards and Sean Ordonez and they are all uniquely different and proud of their designs.  For someone to say that they are the same to cover the copying that they have done is not right. 

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding

Aloha Bra

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 11:11:24 AM »
hey - hang with me on this stuff.  i was told that you could change something on your post but i can't figure out how to do this.  So I am making it here.
Aloha Bra

Joe...you can only modify or delete a post for about an hour or so after it was 1st posted. When you make your next post take a look at the top right corner of the box after you do it and you'll see a modify and delete button for that hour or so.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 11:20:51 AM »
Joe, I am glad you posted this for the public.  I am glad this forum is here to keep the public informed.  It is up to both sides to present their case to us and it looks like WaveRod is an unethical company.  He probably copied your boards and Sean's because you appear to be not as big as Naish and C4.  He was probably too scared to copy thier boards and thought he could get away with copying yours.  he was wrong.  He is a kook.  NO worries, only kooks will buy those boards.  Maybe, just focus on the guys who can actually surf because we know not to buy a kook board that is unproven just to save a buck.  To good surfers, every wave is important and we can't waste the eave riding a cheapo board.  Good surfers will appreciate the skills of the good shapers.  Karma is a bitch and he will get his.

MST

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 11:35:14 AM »
That is too bad but unfortunately, it happens wherever there is an opportunity for making a quick buck.  I have a Big Blue and it is still one of my favorite boards.  I am proud to own it and it feels like owning an 'original'.  Hope Sean finds his way back soon - he makes a great product.

Byronmaui

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 12:48:21 PM »
Joe Blair bummer for you and out of this something good will happen for you guaranteed.

I know a little about your boards but when you get time post up your shaping history or story. Would love to hear somethings about your 40 years in the business like guys you shaped for surf, sup, ?, what got you into it shaping, thoughts on stand up design, etc. Love to hear stories from good guys like you.

Aloha

Byron
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 01:02:24 PM by Bmaui »

jibemeister

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 01:18:47 PM »
Joe:

It's unfortunate there are scumbags like Jeremy Fry who  take the easy way out and just rip off those who are the innovators.  I know you have had your ups and downs in this business but you seem to survive and I attribute that to your talent and ethics. 

The Internet and these forums are a great way to deal with the unethical and get the word out to the public. Hopefully Jeremy Fry will implode as a result of his dishonesty.

Also your new boards look great and I hope you sell a million of them.

Hang in there.

Larry Moore
Former Inflight Non-Team Rider

Ho'e He'e Nalu Mel

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 01:43:24 PM »
ps. I love the baby powder in the background.
thanks SW for the babypowder comment... HA HA very funny - Yes I can laugh at myself, not to get graphic but shaping boards is not an easy thing and quite sweaty -  After around 5 hours shaping the baby powder is needed.  - - Well you've called me out - its not easy shaping with a rash -

thx guys for your comments

Hey I've gotten a few calls of people wanting to talk with Sean

Joe,

Thanks for the end to the "mystery". Fry will get fried! I have been paddlesurfing now for 2+ years, surfing for 35 in SOCAL. I love it, and I do not want this industry to go down this path further. More Joe Blair's, Sean O and Blane Chambers' in the world.As far as the Rash goes....I have you covered. Send me a PM and I will send you my product Rash-Away.....works all over the world.

Mahalos for Eva'  ;D

The best way to reach him is soshapes@cs.com

Joe Blair

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »
can i ask a favor.  This is post is not able me promoting my boards.  I only got on here because of Sean and I, and the message.  Not to sell more boards just to let the facts out.   As you may tell, i am not out to sell a million board.  All I really want to do is make a fair living and be respected for my shapes.

if you want info on my history -  i would not like it to be on this discussion if it does not relate to this.
http://www.jblairsurf.com/Shaper_OTM.html

surfcal

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 06:56:49 PM »
Just a thought...... I also had a dealing with Waverods here in my shop, and I feel that I got burned as soon as he left the shop with my check for 2 boards.  I ended up dumping them at a HUGH loss.............You see those google ads and yahoo ads,
that run on the right hand side of webpages?  those are pay-per-click ads where the person running the ads pays a fee everytime someone clicks on the ad.  I used to run them also.  But if you see one then start clicking away until the reserve is met then they go away until the advertiser dumps in more funds.  Used to happen to me until I could no longer afford the ads.
Anyone need a 10'10" Waverod padded bag I might still have one....CHEAP

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 04:57:06 AM »
Since I have 6, yes SIX,  Joe Blair stand up Boards for my SUP quiver, I would like to say a few words about  Joe.

The first time I met Joe four years ago, after seeing someone ripping on his board at PB Point in San Diego, I went up to his shop.  Never met him before, he gave me a board, and his parking pass to Cardiff State Beach, and said go try the board. Now thats aloha spirit. After paddle surfing for 2 hours, I came back and you can deduce the rest.

Joe is honest, hard working, down to earth, fair and really cares about customers getting a great board.

When  you surf his SUPs, it becomes very apparent that he puts his heart and soul into EVERY LITTLE ASPECT of the board to make it surf,rip, noseride,turn well,etc.

There is a thread about Noseriding on this website, and the blue and white Blair SUP in THIS thread is one of my Blair boards.  All I can say is this.... When you can paddle, catch a wave . walk up the nose, plant ten over, then keep padding while having ten over, I THINK YOU MIGHT HAVE A GREAT NOSERIDER.  If you don't believe me, call me at 619-599-6490 and we'll meet IN PB or La Jolla and  you can go out on this board.  Fun !

Thank you Joe for your aloha and the great boards , especially the 8' 6" quad that rips, people are amazed  !!!

It really  sucks that  a hard working man, supporting his family just like you and me, gets  screwed by  someone else !

Brent Larkin

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:03:28 AM by Puamana4me »

boardrider247

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2009, 05:04:54 AM »

Joe,

It's unfortunate to here that this is happening. I thank you for bringing this up and making the truth be known. Hopefully the word will get out and put an end to this.

Though this is a serious topic, the comment below made me spew coffee all over my computer and wake up my wife with laughter.

They were too expensive $1500+ for a no-name brand, with K-Mart deck pads and NASCAR graphics.

I'm still giggling.

Blane Chambers

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2009, 06:14:57 AM »
Good to see shapers in the Stand Up industry standing up for what is right.    Joe, if this ever ends up in front of the judge, I will testify on your behalf and show clearly how impossible it is to build boards so similar by accident.   Much less do it 7 times.

I wish you and also Sean Ordonez the best of success with your boards...   Aloha,  Blane       

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal