Author Topic: Sea anchor to hold wing offshore while paddle out?  (Read 1254 times)

To bad

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sea anchor to hold wing offshore while paddle out?
« on: December 05, 2023, 04:29:15 AM »
Sea anchor to hold wing offshore while paddle out? Anyone do this to get board and foil past shore break with low tide and rocks?
I have seen people use sea anchors to hold wings while they paddle in swell at Gorge this year.

If wind were side to onshore and you swam out with wing past break (~20 yards) and set wing with anchor then go back in get foil board and paddle out. I am not sure how current/swell/wind would hold wing? I would assume ocean swell would be coming in taking anchor towards shore. Wind would be pulling wing downwind? Would this hold wing safely long enough to make this happen?

Background - Baja low tides can be a bitch if it is rocky. If it is low tide and shore break. it can be a bitch. Last time I Was there we had to flip board upside down and paddle out so you did not high center on foil on rocks. I think Hawaii has same issues.

I did find this thread about sea anchors - https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=38430.0

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sea anchor to hold wing offshore while paddle out?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 06:18:29 AM »
Ive used the sea anchor quite a bit.  Its reliable MOST of the time, but it can fail, and if you are nowhere near it when it fails then you are going to be SOL.  Wonder if you could swim the board out and sea anchor the board (which is very unlikely to pull loose), then swim the wing out second?  I haven't tried to sea anchor my board, but I would imagine it works just fine. When a wing gets vertical lift it can pull the anchor clear out of the water - a board isn't ever going to pull in that orientation.

Sounds like you've got a pretty specific set of circumstances given the depth issues, but I have to imagine swimming out through a break with a wing and without a board is very challenging. 

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sea anchor to hold wing offshore while paddle out?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 07:44:14 AM »
Yes been doing it for years with windsurfing gear and now wing foiling gear. I have to get through coral and rocks and breaking waves and it’s a challenge. I have a buoy tied to a mushroom anchor just past the break, usually chest/neck deep water . I tie up my board and then bring the rig after. Works great.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Jimmy Lewis Flying V foil SUP 6’11”
Fanatic Sky Wing 5'4" 95 ltr
Fanatic Aero 1750 HA foil
CabrinhaMantis 4m 5m
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal