Author Topic: How many layers of glass to fix a buckled sup?  (Read 1018 times)

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
How many layers of glass to fix a buckled sup?
« on: November 28, 2023, 11:26:02 AM »
My beloved old pre-Nalu Naish buckled on top near the handle.

The bottom is fine. I'm wondering how many layers of glass people think I should use? I'm up to 3 layers of 6oz.

Love this board and want to make sure to add enough strength.

sflinux

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How many layers of glass to fix a buckled sup?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 07:35:29 PM »
Tis the season, my buddy just buckled his NSP Cocoflax.
3 layers of 6 oz sounds good to me.  If you feel like it needs more, I would reinforce the rails.
Was there any evidence of compression on the top deck due to standing?
It is my understanding that with repairing buckles or snaps, you want to get close to the original glass schedule.  If you go under, it will be a weak point.  If you go over, then it will be a stiff point, causing stress on either side of the joint.
"with long, staggered overlaps of the reinforcements, in order to create as smooth a transition as possible from the original lamination to the new"
Snap repair here:
https://boardlady.com/snap.htm
"with an extra two layers of 4oz cloth on the rails."
Buckle repair here:
https://boardlady.com/seatrendnose.htm
Lamination strength explained:

Are you going to be able to match that yellow paint.  I had a yellow board that I tried to match paint.  At first I went a shade lighter, which made it looked bleached (I felt it looked ugly).  Then I went a shade darker, which made it looked dirty, which I liked the looks of better.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 07:55:13 PM by sflinux »
Quiver Shaped by: Joe Blair, Blane Chambers, Jimmy Lewis, Kirk McGinty, and Bob Pearson.
Me: 200#, 6'2"

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 06:57:15 AM »
A reasonable color match from a can was Rustoleum Universal, Canary Yellow for the earlier Naish boards.

BTW - 3x6oz for this repair would be plenty in my book.  Great to see that the Board Lady is still getting recognition for her excellent guidance in composite repairs.

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 12:12:02 PM »
Thank you! I wound up adding a 4th layer of glass before seeing these replies, which probably does create a stiff point in the board, hmm. I'm going to keep telling myself that since it's near the middle of the board it can handle it.

So glad a friend saw the crease before I rode it again. There was only about a 2 inch section of the crease visible outside the deck pad, and a friend said "hey you know your board is broken?" Doh!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal