Author Topic: Surfco handles any feedback???  (Read 13186 times)

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
Re: Surfco handles any feedback???
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 10:23:10 AM »
I went ahead and cut the deck pad for the entire size of the handle.  I sticks up a bit at the contact points, but overall the handle lays pretty flat, set into the deck pad. Here's some photos if you are thinking about doing the same.  It only taks about 15 min. to prep and install.

TerryS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 11:07:04 AM »
I really like the Ez plug handles better than the hand holes, I find its way easier to pick the board up out of the water with just one hand. no chance of sticking a toe in the hole or twisting the fingers when its very windy. I did have one pull off. glued it back with 3M 5200 its not coming off ever!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 11:10:42 AM by TerryS »

diesel

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2010, 12:52:23 PM »
I have a board with the 2 leash plugs  to carry with the paddle like the C4 boards.  I did not want to carry with my paddle because I was not sure about damaging the paddle so I put a small loop in each of the plugs that is just big enough to  thread a string through.  I thread leash string through the two and bowtie it like your shoelaces to make the handle.  When I get to the water I untie it and put it in my pocket.  If you use the smae type of string that comes with your leashes it is thin enough to fit in your pocket when surfing but thivk enough to hold with your hand and not be uncomfortable.  This seems to be a good solution if you have a board with the leash plug attachments and you don't want to use your paddle.

JODI

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 02:12:32 PM »
hey! have you tried the BarKnuckle? its a GREAT way to CARRY your SUP....i'm really short and so are my arms so its really difficult for me to carry my SUP down to the water...but the BarKnuckle is sweet! check it out... http://www.barknuckle.com

happy surfing!

awe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 04:37:17 PM »
I saw a lady at  Ala moana with a PSH board that had a built in handle, also a surfco type handle, but she was using  "The Big Hook " to carry her board ??? I guess you can never have to many handles.
www.thebighookhawaii.com

gemm

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »
I have a PSH 11' WAA.
I said "waaaa!!!!" when the surfco handle failed yesterday. :o
It appears to be a peel'n'stick model, not the glued on model.
I don't use the handle to go from the car to the beach - I walk the board to the beach each day (about 650-700m depending on tide  :P)
I'm trying the glued on model next....

here's some pics of the failure:

TerryS

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2010, 07:30:05 AM »
My home made with two ez plugs

chipmonk

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 10:49:36 AM »
Like somebody else mentioned, I have  reglued one of these plugs when it failed.  I used 3M Spray Adhesive...there's a few differet levels, but rest assured if you prep well and use that stuff, it will not come off again.

loosehead

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2010, 05:49:17 AM »
i have them on all 4 of my sup`s.i had problems with the peel and stick coming off ,so i just glassed them on.the last 2 that i just put on both broke.not the cord but the plastic itself.i like them much better then the handgrips.

gemm

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2010, 09:11:01 PM »
Like somebody else mentioned, I have  reglued one of these plugs when it failed.  I used 3M Spray Adhesive...there's a few differet levels, but rest assured if you prep well and use that stuff, it will not come off again.

My handle is staying stuck now.
Sanded down the bottom of each plug till it was perfectly flat. Resanded board. Used cryoacetate type glue that came with the warranty handle.
They're not coming off now!
Kudos to the manufacturer for replacing my handle.

ehrawn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2010, 10:33:57 PM »
Mine failed after about 4 months of use. It turned out that the one I had (adhesive tape, flexible bases) was recalled. Surfco was very apologetic and offered to replace the handle and fix any damage done to the board. Luckily, mine failed a few inches off the ground so no dings resulted. I took it into their shop in Pearl City and they replaced the handle with the new version (rigid bases and uses superglue). They even through in a nose and tail guard for my trouble. I was very happy with their customer service.

It's been a few months since then, and the one of the bases has moved around a bit, but their is no sign that it's going to fail. The problem seems to be that the deck gets really hot, even with normal use. I'm not sure any adhesive will keep the base from loosening up, short of glassing the thing on. The puka in the deck and the c4 strap thingys seem to be more secure, but the Surfco handle makes it so easy to maneuver the board around when you're off the water. I'm willing to stick with it for that convenience (until I get a smaller board).

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 01:49:35 AM »
i've had those plug fail.  next time i'm going to insert a single regular leash plug and try the following:

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »
You mean there are still board companies that make boards with out a hand hold in them??   ;D
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 09:47:55 AM »
well, i've found that most companies put their handles right in the middle of the board and that's a terrible carrying position (at least for me).  i believe they should be offset ... which is why i like the gong solution as well as other similar ones.

btw/ if you want to see bad handle placement you should check out the new C4 inflatable iSUP.  you pick up the 10'er I saw by the handle and the ass of the thing drags down on the ground.  somebody doesn't know their balance points.  it's off by a huge margin.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 12:13:14 PM »
Hey Gemm, what color/brand of pad is that?
  Looks cool, almost snakeskin.

I have a PSH 11' WAA.
I said "waaaa!!!!" when the surfco handle failed yesterday. :o
It appears to be a peel'n'stick model, not the glued on model.
I don't use the handle to go from the car to the beach - I walk the board to the beach each day (about 650-700m depending on tide  :P)
I'm trying the glued on model next....

here's some pics of the failure:

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal