Author Topic: Kalama E3 Wing/prone/dw 5'3" vs 5'9"???  (Read 6256 times)

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Kalama E3 Wing/prone/dw 5'3" vs 5'9"???
« on: July 24, 2023, 03:25:16 PM »
Struggling hard with this decision and hoping to get some input from others. These two boards seem relatively unpopular in the gorge, so I haven't been able to find any first person reviews.

I'm 39, 85kg, probably 150 sessions of winging in the gorge at this point. I'd consider myself an intermediate. I don't jump, have little interest in wing skills, but love to ride swell.

This year I've been winging on my 8' barracuda and it's opened my eyes to how fun winging can be with small wings and small foils. I've found that the Cloud IX FS700 matched with a 2.8 wing tends to be my favorite setup on the 'cuda. This brings the barracuda to life and I can ride this kit as long as the wind is 20 knots, which is almost every day in the gorge. This has been a ton of fun for me, but I'm getting that all too familiar itch to try something different again.

This week I've demo'd a few friends boards:
Armstrong 5'2"x26" 75l with Cloud IX FS1150 76cm mast and 3.5m wing in 20 knots.
Fanatic Sky 5'0"x24" 75l with Cloud IX FS1000 86cm mast and 4.2m wing in 20 knots.

Both of those boards are -10 liters for me at sunrise. Probably -12 to -13 after lunch with an impact vest, helmet, etc. They were both quite doable with the stinkbug start, but in the lulls I had to slog across the river to find a puff. I enjoyed the shortboard feel, but wasn't a fan of the funky deck shapes on either of those boards.

Which brings me to the 5'3" 83l and 5'9" 95l Kalama. 22" and 22.5" wide.
My progression winging has been:
5'10" x 29" 120l kalama
4'8" x 26" 83l kalama
8' x 21" 112l kalama
So... I'm comfortable and partial to these boards.

What I can't decide upon is how the 5'3" would feel as a daily driver? I keep telling myself that if I can ride a 75l that's 24-26" wide then surely I can ride an 83l that's 22" wide and it must be an easier water start, right??? The 95l, I know would be even easier to water start, but I wonder if I would have that little demon in my head saying you should have gone shorter... 5'3" vs 5'9" feels like a significant difference in swing length.

5'3" 83l = -2 to -5 kg to l
5'9" 95l = +7 to +10 kg to l

I don't want to throw away my ability to ride smaller foils/wings, but I don't have any way to evaluate how well these boards will take off. I think if I could ride my FS850 and 3.5m wing in 20 knots I would be most stoked, but I don't know which board to land on to bring that into reality.

Any help/thoughts/comments!?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Kalama E3 Wing/prone/dw 5'3" vs 5'9"???
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 06:29:21 PM »
Iím 85 kg and use 92 liters as my everyday, do it all board. At 69 friggin years old.

If I were age 39, Iíd be on that 5í3 x 22 x 83 liter Kalama.

Sticking with the Kalama bottom, and staying narrow, is the ticket for surfing.

Having said that, there is a case for not using the Kalama bottom. Guys into racing with 500-600 sq cm foils, prefer ďplaning styleĒ bottoms to help get those foils up to high speed.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 09:40:09 PM »
Iím 85 kg and use 92 liters as my everyday, do it all board. At 69 friggin years old.

If I were age 39, Iíd be on that 5í3 x 22 x 83 liter Kalama.

Sticking with the Kalama bottom, and staying narrow, is the ticket for surfing.

Having said that, there is a case for not using the Kalama bottom. Guys into racing with 500-600 sq cm foils, prefer ďplaning styleĒ bottoms to help get those foils up to high speed.

haha!

Those tiny foils are fun for a day here and there but yeah, not especially surf oriented!

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2023, 12:02:16 PM »
Iím 58, 80kgs and ride a 5í3x22Ē as my daily drive for swell riding. When my shaper built it for me I was a bit hesitant due to the narrow width, but Iím glad I took his advice, no issues at all.

Narrowing the board didnít make it harder to get up on, the attached foil gives plenty of stability. And that loss of volume in width is added to the length so the board gets up in light wind and is easy to pump onto the foil. Almost like riding a small downwind board.

I think you would be just fine on the 83lts board, itís 10lts more than mine but your only 5kgs heavier.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 08:02:57 PM »
Iím 58, 80kgs and ride a 5í3x22Ē as my daily drive for swell riding. When my shaper built it for me I was a bit hesitant due to the narrow width, but Iím glad I took his advice, no issues at all.

Narrowing the board didnít make it harder to get up on, the attached foil gives plenty of stability. And that loss of volume in width is added to the length so the board gets up in light wind and is easy to pump onto the foil. Almost like riding a small downwind board.

I think you would be just fine on the 83lts board, itís 10lts more than mine but your only 5kgs heavier.

Thanks for sharing! Any pics of your board? You guys have convinced me to pull the trigger.

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 12:10:38 PM »
This one is by our local board manufacture, Carbonco. Mitch the owner of the business is really progressive with his shapes, has been building longer narrower boards for 2 seasons now. This one has no carbon in it, Innegra and S glass, I wanted a tough light board rather than a brittle one.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2023, 12:40:38 PM »
Nice!

Well, I ordered mine and it came in but with a few issues:

1. Wrong color.

2. Big deck pad bubbles to fix.

3. I asked for them to swap it out for the one I ordered, and they informed me that the e3 line is not going to be continued and that this is the last board they have.

It seems silly, but for the pricepoint I typically want the right color, especially since I don't really like the orange haha. Am I being too picky here? Have been riding Kalamas for years and am unsure what brand to switch too if they are going to be without wingboards in the somewhat near future?

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2023, 01:25:04 PM »
That should have been communicated prior to fulfilling the order it seems like. I'd be upset. Boards aren't cheap.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2023, 06:33:59 PM »
That should have been communicated prior to fulfilling the order it seems like. I'd be upset. Boards aren't cheap.

Well, I decided to keep it after all and must admit, it's a slayer for sure. Takeoff is better than I'd expect from your average wingboard, nice and light at 11.6lbs. It's a little awkward having something so short again, haha, it will take me a bit to catch up to how snappy the board is. Everything just happens faster with it. Touchdowns are a breeze, the board just skips off the water instead of ejecting me over the handles.

Big gain in tip breaches. I'm not sure why that's so much easier on this board, but it absolutely slashes the river with tips probably 6-7" out of the water becoming the norm right away. Super fun.

Also, had my first few slogs on it when the wind crapped out. I guess this was bound to happen sooner or later. I was on an 850 foil with a 3.5m wing in 18 knots and was fine, until it dropped out a bit, my guess was 14-15 knots with lulls down to 10 knots. I will admit, even though I was bummed to be slogging back, at least I was on my feet and felt like I had a chance to get back on foil if the right puff came.

Altogether, an excellent board to have and I can't imagine anything else on the market making me happier. Sad to see that they are getting discontinued, but that just means that new boards are coming, which will be even better. After selling off my Barracuda I'll be walking away with money in my pocket, so all is well as far as avoiding winging gear obsession bankruptcy.

I'll say that dropping from 8' down to 5'3" has interesting pros/cons. I definitely had to size up from a 2.8m wing to a 3.5m which is a significant negative to me (3.5 is still small compared to the 4-5m wings others are on). On foil, I was pushing my barracuda to the limit, which is also a fun place to be. With the smaller board, I'm playing catchup a little bit. It will take me a few more sessions to be on top of it as the board has actually gotten away from me a few times!

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2023, 10:13:35 AM »
This one is by our local board manufacture, Carbonco. Mitch the owner of the business is really progressive with his shapes, has been building longer narrower boards for 2 seasons now. This one has no carbon in it, Innegra and S glass, I wanted a tough light board rather than a brittle one.

Carbonless CarbonCo? :)

Do you know the layup?
I have used innegra on a dockstart and on a surfoil board and i like it a lot.But never tried it with glass and no carbon.
Does the board feel any less stiff or responsive?.

Wingfoil2001

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2023, 10:16:50 PM »

Carbonless CarbonCo? :)

Do you know the layup?
I have used innegra on a dockstart and on a surfoil board and i like it a lot.But never tried it with glass and no carbon.
Does the board feel any less stiff or responsive?.
Itís a layer of ineggra with a layer of 6oz over the top with some extra reinforcement around the track area, no pvc sandwich.
Itís light, only just 5kgs with pad. Itís had 18 months of regular use, yes there are dents in the deck where I stand but no cracks. The only damage was when I hit a turtle at high speed, the shell dinged a lower rail and the catapult ripped the leash plug out when my dyneema leash reached its full extension.
It feels nice to ride, has a softness to it. Iíve never really enjoyed riding carbon boards, no give, almost harsh. I guess thatís why pro surfers donít ride carbon boards, they feel dead.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard