Author Topic: Vision Pro  (Read 10320 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Vision Pro
« on: June 06, 2023, 07:15:28 AM »
Obviously, I didn't need a whole lot of selling. All they had to do was come to the table and I was pretty much ready to go, but sheesh Apple!  I'm not sure if I was more impressed by the technology and the hardware or by the messaging. Never once VR, no metaverse, no goofy avatars, no cartoony home worlds,  no fluff at all. Only the lightest mention, late in the presentation, about gaming. So well done. I see this thing changing computing, changing work, changing entertainment, changing communication, changing content creation, changing education, changing collaboration. So many things. Did you watch it? What did you guys think?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Vision Pro
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 07:07:57 PM »
I've got friends who work in the VR space and it's still early but it will change the world once it's debugged and smoothed.

I think AR is the way to get people in. I can see using it in design and architecture and pretty much anywhere multiple people have to look at a screen in the same space, or apart, together.

Like all Apple products it'll be too expensive at first... and it'll create a new market where one didn't exist.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 09:01:04 PM »
Definitely on board. This tech could really push creativity to new levels.
in progress...

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 03:50:43 AM »
Much better than I expected.

Made me think, hum, maybe the Apple Car won’t be a flop if it ever arrives.

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 10:31:08 AM »
The apple car will be absolutely amazing IF it ever arrives.  That's the thing.  Apple would never launch it unless it is - that's core to the engineering culture there.  They've been screwing around with the project for 10 years now and I bet we'll never see it.  But if we do, I'm confident it will be jaw-dropping

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 07:11:49 AM »
Wow wow wow.  We've been using these for 5 days now and holy crap. Apple has really done themselves with this thing.

One thing to know if you are interested is that fit is king and will make or break your experience. There are 30 different options for light shields, four options for light shield cushions, and six options for straps.  you have to get this part perfect to really enjoy the product and the widget which does it for you online doesn't work well. You need to go in and spend your time at the Apple Store trying on a lot of different options.

So stoked to see where this is heading!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 03:55:46 PM »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2024, 12:40:11 AM »
Finally, Tim is back.

Just in time for the craziest year ever.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2024/02/vision-pro.html
Support your local shaper

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2024, 09:02:04 AM »
Utterly thunderstruck, and yet mildly underwhelmed. I actually know what he's talking about. It's equal parts super incredible (and oddly for Apple) kind of buggy and hole-ey. The fit can be done, but it is problematic. All those first GEN, first world problems :-).

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2024, 12:25:25 AM »
The apple car will be absolutely amazing IF it ever arrives.  That's the thing.  Apple would never launch it unless it is - that's core to the engineering culture there.  They've been screwing around with the project for 10 years now and I bet we'll never see it.  But if we do, I'm confident it will be jaw-dropping

Apple killed its EV project. I suspect they realized, as I recently did, that there are good reasons to expect small, sub 200-mile range EV cars to be extremely cheap soon. It's going to be extremely hard for late movers to make money, and even Tesla might actually be fucked depending on how the politics shake out of keeping Asian cars (like BYD) out of the US and Europe. It's also getting extremely cheap to do alternate energy projects. Fairly weird for a nuclear geek like me to contemplate. The weirdest part is that there are good reasons to build large PV arrays with small-ish storage batteries. Completely counterintuitive, but the math is clear. I've been planning the opposite project for my shop--150KW of battery (two Tesla Model Y salvaged batteries) and 30KW of panels, but when I did the calculations I'm better off with 30 to 70KW of battery and 80 KW (or more) of PV. Even in the cloudy Pacific Northwest it works out.

All this stuff happened while I was distracted with other stuff--and I pay attention to this kind of thing. While no one was watching the US became energy independent and renewable energy went from negligible to exponential growth. WTF??
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 12:32:46 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2024, 09:16:49 AM »
Oil is dead, coal is dying fast (could it be any faster??), Nuclear is flatlined and just got surpassed by renewables, the only growth is natural gas and renewables, and natural gas looks like it might be a spike because the cost of even combined cycle gas turbines is rising while PV cost is plummeting. How weird is this?? Who knew?? All the dipshits saying "your EV is powered by coal" are talking out of their ass even more than I thought. This isn't government mandate-driven, it's cost-driven. And it's not cheap Chinese PV because those are tariffed out. Though it's a big deal on a global scale because china produced 50 percent more PV this year than the market wants. Africa and any part of the third world that China wants to influence is gonna get paved with panels. We're going to start being able to see PV installations from space.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 09:27:31 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2024, 02:25:29 PM »
I'm all in favor of renewables, for electricity, but digging a little deeper shows this graphic.

I suspect Hydro Power in the US has been pretty static, Solar was non-existent 20 years ago but only represents 3.9%.  It looks like wind has contributed to the growth of renewables the most, since it too is likely a new entrant.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2024, 02:47:30 PM »
Before we count out OIL here is a worldwide perspective.

Solar is barely visible.

Consider this.  1 Barrel of oil contains the energy equivalent of 25,000 man hours of labor.  That works out to 0.3 cents per hour, or 13 cents per man week.

$80 a barrel for 12 1/2 man years of labor.  You can't get cheaper than that and its why 'we' are addicted to oil.  This is the single greatest contributor to our quality of life in the United States, and the world.  It is why humans stopped enslaving animals for transportation and farming.

Then there is this:  Ammonia production (the Haber-Bosch process) consumes ~ 10% fossil fuel energy in the United States (alone).  90% of this Ammonia is used as fertilizer to grow the food that we eat.  It is estimated* that these fertilizers are used to double the food produced on earth.  Meaning that 4 billion of the 8 billion people on the planet consume food made from fossil fuels, and otherwise would starve.  From another perspective 50% of the molecules in every person were created from and powered by fossil fuels.

*From Michu Kaiko Quantum Supremacy 

Energy Mix: https://ourworldindata.org/energy-mix
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 03:18:03 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2024, 02:55:07 PM »
Here is the chart of Total energy consumption for the United States. 
  • 80% still Fossil fuel based
  • 88% Fossil fuel + Nuclear

If there is any hope for the United States it is that the total energy use has only grown from 22.6 TWh to 26.6 TWh from 1991 to 2022 over 31 years. 

This represent just 0.54% growth per year. 

As cars, and houses, and buildings get more efficient the demand is NOT going up.  Despite a larger population.  This is what will allow room for renewables to grow as they get cheaper and displace the foundation of fossil fuels.   

« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 03:14:30 PM by Beasho »

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2024, 03:02:20 PM »
Impressive how quickly things unfolded. I'm cautiously optimistic that global CO2 emissions have reached their peak, albeit at the highest level in recorded history. The trajectory of global warming over the next ten years appears uncertain, but there's hope that we might be able to avert the most severe climate scenarios.

After coming across your post, I delved into the topic and discovered that oil still constitutes about 20% of Russia's GDP and 8% of the US GDP. It's hard not to consider this as a significant factor in the ongoing conflict in Ukraine and the potential implications for Israel.

Also, I used ChatGPT for the first time to edit this post.  It took a few minutes longer, as I had to learn the process, but I liked the edit.

Cool

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal