Author Topic: Motivation?  (Read 6960 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
Motivation?
« on: June 04, 2023, 06:52:26 PM »
Seems turning 65 isn't as enthusiastic as I'd hoped. Probably due to the fact that my shoulder reconstruct ain't so great. Pretty much hurts all the time and if I paddle it doesn't help! So looks like a bigger board with that Boost motorized fin will be my next session! I've ridden the Rivie shapes before and know they work. My neighbor of like 15 years has two 11'6" singles that I've used. Also been on The Door and The Nugg. I really want like a nice new Infinity longboard shape but funds are tight. Replaced 7 windows in my old house and also resided the outside shower. Buncha new 2x10 boards on the shower platform too.
Here's hoping it happens smoothly.
Thanx,
Cook out

Riviera SUP paddleboard 10’6’’
https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/spo/d/beach-haven-riviera-sup-paddleboad-106/7625566350.html
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 07:14:18 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Motivation?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2023, 07:16:48 PM »
Whatever it takes man. Don't stop, don't give in.

I'm backing this setup 100%.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 07:44:21 AM »
You've got a lot of rip left in you Cookie!

supmmmm

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 02:11:10 PM »
Or take a break from the same old - get

on some pickleball for a bit n come back fresh 🤙

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 04:01:50 PM »
Ahh, you're just a kid. The shoulder stuff sucks but it's feasible to overcome it. Mine are junk, but switching to a softer paddle shaft is shoulder therapy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2023, 04:38:44 PM »
cookmiseter, at 65 with bad shoulder you still rip better than I ever did 20 years younger 8)
Softer shaft and a small blade made a big difference for me.

I went down to 72sqi and decided not to ride anything smaller than a 9'6" just so I can increase
my wave count and go even for junk waves. Summer is upon us, many reasons to rejoice.
in progress...

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2023, 06:04:21 PM »
Go Go cookieman.... with SUP, there is always a way!
My shoulders were toast 12 years ago... no surgeries but they have gotten stronger and more resilient.

I agree with the smaller paddle suggestions.... I only use a 6.5" blade these days and my stroke has improved immensely.

Paddling along with the Boost will probably have some restorative qualities to it, through motion without stress. 

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2023, 06:45:32 PM »
I really appreciate all the replies and stoke! Read em over a few times and it's a definite moral boost from the Zoner community. I was gonna post it on facebook but wanted to keep it "in house". The SUP community seems way more chill than the regular proners (no offense prone stokers). I should seek a smaller paddle blade. Been putting it off and Creek even told me to do it like a year ago! My biggest board is the 9'11" Hull Ripper and the chimed rails, pulled in nose and tail, and strong rocker shape doesn't make that the most stable board. My 9'2" Hull Ripper is even tougher to keep stable.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

ospreysup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2023, 10:17:36 PM »
Hey Cookieman,

I know all too well about shoulder pain. There is only 1 position I can sleep in without pain. I have zero overhead range of motion in one shoulder.

Just some thoughts when my shoulder is acting up.

A smaller blade and paddle with some flex are shoulder savers.

Wet suits suck for shoulders. I surf year-round. My shoulder hates winter.

Picking up a "comfort board" with greater stability and glide is easier on the shoulders. Not my go-to board but I'm glad I have one when the conditions or my shoulder call for it. The difference is noticeable.

Nothing helps me more than being an 80% one-side paddler and 100% one-side paddling into a wave. Blasphemy, I know! I keep my healthy shoulder on the handle and my beat-up shoulder is down. I use just as much range of motion as I need at the time. Of course, there are times I have no options, but I look at it as creating a reserve for when I need it and preserving as much function as I can for both the session and the long run.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 03:36:56 AM »
Cook I am sorry to hear that your body isn’t quite on board with the continuance of the stoke chase.  Seems like a lot of wise advice to try out so don’t stop now.  Biggest key to keeping it going is to keep going.  Pauses at our advanced ages are a killer.
That Riv seems like a perfect candidate. New sticks are always a treat but times are tough.  Most important is to get out on the water however possible and mother ocean will give you what you need.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 06:57:01 AM »
We might not be able to surf form dawn to dusk anymore, but we can be selective with our waves and approach, and surf forever. 

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2023, 08:10:10 AM »
The 10'6 Original was my first board that I bought in July 2013. It was actually a pretty nice shape but I didn't keep it long as I progressed to shorter and narrower. A nice all-around board. I wish I still had it.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 08:06:28 AM »
Thanx for the more recent replies osprey, Bean, J, and Badger. You guys are stoking!
Seems life keeps tossing me curve balls. Had a morning from hell that cost me 1K (waste pipe cleanout due to back up toilet---YUCK)! So the new board will hafta wait. In the meantime it seems downsizing my paddle blade is actually a better solution to help keep me in the water.
I liked my Kialo Methane BEST! Was sooo bummed when I broke it. Bean repaired it but it was too short afterwards. Sold it for $50. T handle, elliptical shaft, and nice blade shape made it quite user friendly. Bean told me he contacted Kialoa and they told him the eliptical shafts were no longer available. That woulda been amazing if the shaft had been replaced.
Good luck with finding another one! I was sooo lucky to find one on Craigslist for 150 way back in 2015 or so...shipped from Oregon for 30. Dude said it was his wife's and she stopped paddling.

I had a lengthy back-n-forth w/Creek about scoring a new paddle and these were his suggestions. Thanx for the quality assist, Creek! 🤙

1) GenRation S81 6.5” wide blade. They are effortless

2) Quickblade but almost $600

3) Or.... cut down your blade and re-glass it to see if that helps without spending a fortune.

Speaking of fortunes! This Kialoa Pipes ain't no bargain. Looks amazing though.

https://kialoa.com/products/kialoa-pipes-ii-stand-up-paddle

« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 08:22:54 AM by surfercook »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 09:16:49 AM »
My favorite paddle was a modified Sunova. I cut an inch off the blade to make it around 85 square inches. Unfortunately, the shaft broke in half last summer. Now I'm back to using my spare Kialoa Pipes. I think that is 83 square inches. My shaft length is 73" or one inch over my head. It works well, although the Sunova paddled straighter with less wobble. I might try to repair the Sunova shaft.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 09:32:43 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2023, 10:51:58 AM »
Cook, what's your usual paddle length? Are you set on 80+sqi or would go for 70+?
I might have something for you. I find that I have more than enough power with a 70+sqi.
I'm over 200LBS with wetsuit.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal