Author Topic: Falcon Foil  (Read 10903 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Falcon Foil
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2023, 07:30:36 PM »
Yo, I winged today!  ;D

Might get me off my butt to finish this board now.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2023, 08:00:18 AM »
Gluing is done.  Added a 2nd viscosity of the adhesive to overfill the print joints.  With sanding that completely evens them in.  Sanding is underway.  Did this Falcon tail this morning to go with the front wing.  This is an evolution of the infinity tail hitting every one of the points mentioned above in terms of optimal gap, stagger, tip return gap and symmetry.  I also changed the fuselage termination point to behind the wing.  This allows the 12 mm internal carbon tube to extend through the whole tail.  This should take us to a whole new level of stiffness and strength.  Still only 200 mm wide.  Printing now.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 08:07:00 AM by Admin »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2023, 11:04:49 AM »
Whether they work or not, they're prettier than anything on the market. :)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2023, 08:36:06 AM »
Agree Hdip.

Hey admin, when you sending Hdip and I a set or two down to LA to test? We are dying to ride any of your stuff. We are from Hollywood, we know how to handle an NDA. 😀😆😅

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2023, 01:34:22 PM »
Well, she is done.  Tomorrow she will get wet if we have wind, so I better post this before she hits the bottom :)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 01:38:39 PM by Admin »

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2023, 02:33:52 PM »
That looks fricking killer! Would be awesome in a sci-fi movie too. Maybe copyright the design!

Fingers crossed for the performance!

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2023, 04:41:44 PM »
Appreciate it man.  Here are a few more.  I did the first seal with graphite powder in epoxy and then two more of epoxy with a little pigment.  I think each foil is improving, so that is a plus.  :)

surlygringo

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2023, 07:17:17 PM »
That is a beautiful piece of work. I got out of foiling a couple of years ago when I realized I didn’t have the cash to continue so I have no idea about the tech, but it looks stunning and I admire the skill it took to design and create it. I hope it goes well for you on the swim missile.

SUPladomi

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2023, 07:22:34 PM »
Super rad! Just noticing the interesting inverse top and bottom V shape of the stabilizer.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2023, 03:18:43 AM »
Super rad! Just noticing the interesting inverse top and bottom V shape of the stabilizer.

That tail is inspired by this info https://osf.io/3r79q/ .  Mine is (obviously) just a tail/stabilizer only here, with both tail foils providing downwards lift.  What I think is really neat is the idea of using this as the whole foil system (two uplifting foils without need for a stabilizer or fuselage).  Check out the drag percentages for a large aircraft below.  If we can significantly reduce induced drag as Prandtl suggested, that would be epic.

That would be a new paradigm for our sports.  It has the promise of great efficiency and could offer improved pitch stability through an enlarged lifting footprint.  Without the stabilizer, we would need to roughly be able to center the lift from the two wings (both wings now providing up lift) under the COG (which tends to be forward in our sports due to board requirements) and I couldn't initially see how to do that and leave the mast back.  But, I think that the models for this tail have showed me a way to do it. 
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 03:22:28 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2023, 03:24:04 AM »
Image from the paper linked above.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2023, 08:57:48 AM »
Wowza, such a remarkable thing of beauty; I can't wait to hear the report back on how she performed. When science meets art and technology.
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2023, 03:12:01 AM »
Hi Guys,

Small update.

Chan got a new wingboard (75 liter Sky Fanatic) and we took it down to the event site for a wing.  She wasn't stoked on the condition but this nice visitor was interested in the Falcon wing and asked to take a lap.  He used Chan's board with our 75 cm mast.   I learned a lot from watchhing him which was super valuable for me.  I have already made some adjustments to this setup and this adds to my ideas for V2 which is in the works.  :).

The biggest problem I see is with unwanted fuselage flex.  I made some poor assumptions there and some poor choices.  In short, the tail wing is not being held stable enough to maintain its intended angles.  This first version has been set to 2.5 degrees of postive incidence for the front wing and 1.5 negative in the back.  I have the X foil data for these profiles but in the end, the initial angles were really just an educated guess.  The rear wing is on the smaller side at only 200 mm span with 75 Volume (volume is between an Axis 300 and 325 for reference).  All of that is to say that I did not provide a lot of stabilization to begin with and I cannot afford to lose any to unwanted flex.  The good thing is that this is easily correctable in V2.

Easiest quick patch correction is a larger version of this same tail and possibly a touch more negative incidence and I will for sure make and test that.  The fuse stiffness issue will require a rebuild to do right because I want to stiffen the joints on both wings and the fuse itself.

Notes: The track on this board is really short and won't allow the forward inch and a half of track to be used (nut is in the drop slot there).  That is a bit of a bummer because the direct wing mount on my foils means the mast needs to go 4 to 5 inches forward of standard configs to achieve the same front foil position.  Because of this the rider was forced to ride behind the footstraps which he then needed to avoid.  You can see him trying to find a spot for his rear foot (but there really is none beause of the rear strap and the kicker on the board pad).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcxw-qgeNX0
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 07:17:28 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2023, 07:09:31 AM »
Meant to post this one as well. 

https://youtu.be/vzQgjkMjyf4

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2023, 08:19:27 AM »
You forgot to celebrate!! It flies! Pitch stability needs work, but hey, it didn't fall apart and it FLIES. All the rest is tuning.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal