Author Topic: Wing drop with drift anchor thingy  (Read 4387 times)

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Wing drop with drift anchor thingy
« on: April 23, 2023, 06:24:59 PM »
So I was inspired by a chat over on the progression project forum about tying a drift anchor to the wing and ditching it. I tried it a bunch of times today and it went just as planned. The anchor was $18 on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BB2KS655?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I just hooked the anchor to my wristleash and just threw it and it works amazing! The cone catches the water and slows the wing down to like a 1-2 mph drift.  Some may wander what the point of this is. I use the wing to get on foil in some fun lake chop and then throw the wing away and I am just purely foiling with nothing in my hands. This is perfect training for downwind foiling and connecting bumps. This is also incredibly fun as a new diversion of foiling. My brain is spinning from thinking of how to apply this. Wake thieving, dw practice, tow in surfing, wing sharing. Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N6G-kikkMU

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wing drop with drift anchor thingy
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 07:44:23 AM »
For that price i might give it a whirl...the Duotone rental guy at El Medano told me the locals were playing with those  anchors too.

Do you know which size anchor you bought?.
These kayak drift anchors come in 18,24 and 32 inches.
I would think the 18in should be enough but not sure.

This is an EU link:  https://www.amazon.es/dp/B0BZLDK54L?ref_=cm_sw_r_apan_dp_7R62DF3A2K71G3J1EJC1_1

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 10:11:17 AM »
I love it.  I'm not sure how it would work in the gorge with predominantly opposing wind and current.  $18 makes it worth a try, provided you can retrieve your wing, or have an old scraper available.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 02:02:42 PM »
I got the 18”. I wouldn’t really want to deal with much more as its a little awkward holding it while winging. I just tucked all the straps into the cone and folded it and then wrapped my hand around the cone and grabbed my boom(Javelin). It occurred to me that with a little r&d i could just be done with the wrist leash all together. I need to figure out how to stow it so when I drop the wing on accident, it will deploy gracefully. I might try tucking it into my impact vest. I’m convinced that I can paddle the board downwind faster than it drags in the event of the wing going ahead of me. I could see this working on a board as well. If you’re a competent winger and looking to spice up your session, this is it. The freedom of being on foil with nothing in hand is really fun.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 06:45:33 PM »
Hey, I'm I right that we could cut the PVC off below the webbing ring and replace it with lighter nylon or Dacron and make it way easier to manage when holding it?

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 09:12:41 PM »
Hey, I'm I right that we could cut the PVC off below the webbing ring and replace it with lighter nylon or Dacron and make it way easier to manage when holding it?

I was thinking the same, ripstop should take the loads easily and reduce weight and bulk a lot.Maybe double ripstop for luck.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 09:25:03 PM by Dontsink »

StellaBlu

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 02:01:10 AM »
The Clound ix anchorman is basically ripstop and it packs very small. Probably a compromise in terms of the security of the anchor but much more convenient to stow.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 11:50:57 AM »
Looks epic. Just wondering how much trouble I could get myself into with this haha!

https://youtu.be/W2ldhcywUb8

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 03:24:15 AM »
Looks epic. Just wondering how much trouble I could get myself into with this haha!

https://youtu.be/W2ldhcywUb8

Man, does that look fun.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 09:46:57 AM »
I suspect this will become a thing for wingers. Two leashes are really a bit much. I did a self-deploying sea anchor for doing downwinders on SUP but it solved only half the issues I built it for. The solution was a sea anchor attached to the board stuffed into a ripstop tube. The end of the tube had a little run of kite line that would pull the tube off if the leash broke at the attachment. Unfortunately, my testing showed just as many failures at the cuff end of the leash as at the board end. I tried a few solutions but they were clumsy. It would be a lot easier to solve with a wing.

That's a very cool video, though it reminds me of the long afternoon I spent way offshore at Doheny after I towed myself into a swell with my Takuma eFoil, rode it almost to the beach, and then couldn't find the damned thing. I finally bumbled across the towrope. The eFoil sat a lot lower in the water than I realized.

If I add a drift anchor to my wings will I be able to pump back to the wing like James Casey??? If yes, then I'm in.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 09:56:03 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2023, 11:05:43 AM »
I'm going to order one and give it a crack with an unloved wing, just to make sure  ;D

PonoBill, I think the fine print on the package does guarantee the ability to pump like James Casey, I'll try to confirm that for you!

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2023, 10:50:06 PM »
Note that in the Casey Anchorman vid he is not Downwinding but riding in sideshore light wind shore break conditions.
Pumping directly upwind in DW wind speeds (15kt) for any distance is probably a cardio killer even for the Caseys out there.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2023, 01:28:54 PM »
Note that in the Casey Anchorman vid he is not Downwinding but riding in sideshore light wind shore break conditions.
Pumping directly upwind in DW wind speeds (15kt) for any distance is probably a cardio killer even for the Caseys out there.

Agree with you on that for sure. I'm wondering if in the gorge it may possibly be self retrieving in a controlled manner? Still blowing down wind but not tumbling. Lay down and paddle back to it, assuming the current isn't outpulling the wind? It will be an interesting test. I'm probably overcomplicating things but I like trying new stuff and seeing where it's all headed.

daswusup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2023, 01:19:38 PM »
https://youtu.be/WNVxWykWHFk

Quick little video showing the reset.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal