Author Topic: Charity Paddle Event  (Read 2464 times)

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Charity Paddle Event
« on: October 16, 2007, 10:16:25 AM »
Does anyone know of any long distance SUP events to raise money for charities? I turn 55 next year, and I would like celebrate by doing a long distance SUP to raise money for a charity.
I rode a unicycle 50 miles on my 50th birthday to raise money for The Special Olympics, and it worked out really well. Raised $15k, which was enough to send 8 Special Olympians to the World Games in Ireland ( which only happens every 4 years).
Ideally I would to like to raise money for a charity related to kids and/or the ocean, but I would really appreciate any thoughts or suggestions or information anyone might have.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Charity Paddle Event
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 07:05:14 PM »
Hello EC,

I saw on the other post that you are in Mass. I don't know of any events but it would be great to try and get a bunch of east coasters together for a paddle. Maybe create an event....? I'm down around Plymouth. So far I haven't seen a single other SUP. Of course I'm staying away from the usual surf areas while I learn but I'm still hoping to see someone out there. I've stuck to Plymouth and Falmouth so far. Heading down to Nauset Saturday for the competition (just to watch) and hopefully a few waves.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Blaise

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 08:47:04 AM »
Hello EC,

I saw on the other post that you are in Mass. I don't know of any events but it would be great to try and get a bunch of east coasters together for a paddle. Maybe create an event....? I'm down around Plymouth. So far I haven't seen a single other SUP. Of course I'm staying away from the usual surf areas while I learn but I'm still hoping to see someone out there. I've stuck to Plymouth and Falmouth so far. Heading down to Nauset Saturday for the competition (just to watch) and hopefully a few waves.

I think this is a great idea, Im in western mass I would love to help anyway I can. ....Would also like to just try and get a group of us together also.

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 11:16:52 AM »
Stoneaxe and Blaise-
Thanks a lot for responding. I have some other friends who also might be interested also. I live on Cape Ann, so maybe we could meet in Boston sometime or meet somewhere to go for a paddle/surf.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 11:04:17 PM »
Sounds good to me. Today was my last day without a wetsuit though I think. I was getting some strange looks from both the surfers and the seals at nauset beach today. Paddling makes all the difference. I'd come in for a break every 1/2 hour or so and be hot sitting on the beach.

It will be awhile before I'm ready for any long paddles. I'm a newb with balance problems so I spend a lot of time in the water instead of on it....:)

Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut