Author Topic: Stiffening up a Carbon Mast  (Read 4617 times)

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Stiffening up a Carbon Mast
« on: March 07, 2023, 06:28:29 PM »
So i managed to get ahold of a prototype of one of the high emd foil systems and its amazing. It could be even more amazing if the mast were a bit stiffer. The existing mast is laminated to the fuselage and wing so its a 1 piece setup(minus the atab).
Im a bigger guy and the wiggle/twist is just too much when there is any current or turbulent conditions.
 Has anyone here laminated more carbon on an existong mast? If so how was it and can you share any lessons learned?

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Stiffening up a Carbon Mast
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 08:13:05 AM »
Anybody know how to edit a post on here? It looks like I was having a stroke my spelling was so bad!

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 07:56:41 AM »
I did cut and put back together a carbon mast to make an angled foil, for use in wake foiling. If I did it again I would use a biaxial carbon fabric 45/45 (https://compositeenvisions.com/) see what they have- I did vacuum bag it and it didn't add much thickness and I was able to taper the laminates for a smooth transition. I think adding layers would work. Some math may help to figure out how many layers to add.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 08:33:51 AM »
I did cut and put back together a carbon mast to make an angled foil, for use in wake foiling. If I did it again I would use a biaxial carbon fabric 45/45 (https://compositeenvisions.com/) see what they have- I did vacuum bag it and it didn't add much thickness and I was able to taper the laminates for a smooth transition. I think adding layers would work. Some math may help to figure out how many layers to add.

I have some tri-axial carbon from them. I did a test sample over a an old 19mm axis alum mast and it added 1mm. I also created a sleeve over the carbon mast so I can take it off and use it as a clam shell of sorts to wrap over the laminated. Not only are there smooth walls on the inside but the thought is it will clamp and hold the lamination in place under vacuum. I may be over thinking this but it is a fun puzzle of sorts.

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 08:42:21 AM »
I don't think you need an outer mold. With peal ply and vacuum bag it should conform to the mast well.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 11:28:02 AM »
From a board building group on Fbook i remember guys saying they had done this but with lots of delam problems.
You are only going to get  a mechanical bond as the mast is fully cured epoxy.
The outer layer is going to take the biggest traction (and compression too?)  loads.

Vancouver_foiler

• Atomic-Chomik
  • Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 05:50:05 PM »
From a board building group on Fbook i remember guys saying they had done this but with lots of delam problems.
You are only going to get  a mechanical bond as the mast is fully cured epoxy.
The outer layer is going to take the biggest traction (and compression too?)  loads.

Do you remember what group that might be?
I went ahead and through a couple layers on-it added 3mm and took the thickness up to 17mm average.

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023, 03:37:23 AM »
How did it work out. Would be good feed back for the company.
 Did you do any testing before and after?
 You may not want to try this with your expensive kit. Clamp mast end in place. Must only be clamped where it attatches to the board or bolted in the same way it attaches to the board. Have 2 lasers, cheap ones builders use. One down the leading edge and one down the trailing edge. Put a strop with a cheap baggage scale attatched to the tip of the foil. Slowly pull on it. Use a small block and tackle or turnbuckle to be able to increase load slowly and evenly. You can then see and measure where and how the mast is twisting. Even twist, bottom or top twisting first. Trailing edge twisting first then front. Then add or remove laminates in the area on the next build. Or give this info back to the company.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023, 09:02:45 AM »
There's a pretty easy to use tool that does this.

It's called Craigslist.  ;D

(Sorry, that was solely to make Hdip laugh.)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 09:06:42 AM by surfcowboy »

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2023, 10:32:45 AM »
It worked. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal