Author Topic: Next Foil Setup Help- SUP/Wing (Gofoil)  (Read 4378 times)

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Next Foil Setup Help- SUP/Wing (Gofoil)
« on: March 06, 2023, 04:36:12 AM »
Debating grabbing a new wing, here's my progression (mostly all SUP so far, getting into winging, I already kite so I've been a bit slow to migrate to winging, but it's coming):

First board/foil: JL Flying-V 6'5", Maliko 200 - great to learn on, used for a year or so
Second board/foil: King's 5'7", 105 L, Gofoil GL 210 - 210 was a nice progression, King's board was great for about 3 months until the POS delam'ed. I'm still not happy about it.
Current board/foil: Kalama 5'2, 105 L, Gofoil PNL185

I'm getting solid runs with the PNL185, longest waves in the 2 minute range, I can kinda connect waves, but for the most part I'm riding in an inlet or on a series of waves I can connect without going back out the back. I need to work on pumping back out, but.....I've been slack. The PNL185 has the wingtips cut off, and I'm on the Gofoil 1.5 Pedestal at 29". I figure it's time to look at what's out there, that might carve a bit better. The PNL185 is pretty good once you get used to it, it just gets skiddish at times on turns, it's not as locked in, nor should it be based on design.

I'm leaning towards the GT1400.

I'm 180 lbs, mostly in knee to chest high, weak EC surf.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

juandesooka

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Next Foil Setup Help- SUP/Wing (Gofoil)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 07:45:57 PM »
You didn't mention stabs.  I have gone from cynical about those to a believer, they can really make a big difference on the ride.

If you were primarily wing, I might say stick with PNL, unless you have days with strong wind or bigger waves. I love that wing. But if you find you are over-foiling (regularly breaching) or that you are having to hold back (survival stance to avoid breaching), then consider stepping down into RS line.  My RS 1150 was go to for the next level. And then RS 1000 for the level past that. Now there are about 17 other variations in size that may be worth considering. :-)

My rule was always that wing > sup foil > surf foil, in sizing of front foil.  So maybe RS 1150 will be your go to.  I don't know much about GT1400...but kinda seems a step sideways for your setup vs a step up.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 11:47:51 PM »
yupyup the GT1400 with the FT14.5  tail is the go to setup for pumping and wave riding ...itll get airborne quick and float back down and still let you crank those bottom turns!..

.itll let you low speed hover through your jibes when you're using the wing too....but fir winging i use the FTL20 mostly becauseim heavier and need the lift in light air......longer tail and a little bigger....at speed and heavy air the 14.5 short is too turney and loose for me with a wing...

but yeah the GT1400 and the FT14.5 shoulr be perfect!😁😁😁

GoFoil!😁😁😁

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 11:50:28 PM »
yeahthe PNL185 is a race car butSUUPER skittish...all the GTs are rock solid and still have the pump you want...and surf great!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 08:35:53 AM »
When you see Alex pumping all around on his SUP, on the east coast, he’s on the GT-1770 and 17.5 FTL.

It’s the small wave weapon and light wind wing weapon. Build out the quiver going smaller from that magic starting point.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 04:26:58 AM »
That video is all I need to see.......I'd rather have a bit more lift (GT1770) I believe than being right on the borderline a lot of days on the 1440. I'm in really, weak small east coast waves.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal