Author Topic: Annual Gear Budget?  (Read 1832 times)

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Annual Gear Budget?
« on: March 03, 2023, 09:41:28 PM »
I've been thinking about this a bit, what's your annual gear budget at? I do a wide variety of activities including:

Kitesurf
Wingfoil
SUP surf
Plus some lazy snowboarding and cycling.

My kite gear is relatively stabilized. I figure I could budget for a replacement kite every year if I was trying to stay on top of it. I'm an advanced kiter though, most days my kite never gets wet so replacing gear isn't a rush here.

Wingfoiling seems particularily poor for finances (haha). The gear just gets a lot more wear and tear and I don't see any way around it. Better skills helps for sure, but I don't see any way around dunking the wing in the ocean several times a session. Caught inside can lead to damaged gear fast.

SUP boards seem to last a long time. Expensive to replace but it feels like once you figure out what you like, then there isn't a need for more unless your fiending for a big quiver. I prefer 1, maybe 2 boards.

5k seems like it would be a pretty cushy gear budget unless you are a replace everything every year kind of rider.

This year I'm at 1k for a new wing. Potential 2k new sup. Nothing needed after that though...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Annual Gear Budget?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 11:20:19 PM »
A budget sounds great in theory, but then I'd need a budget nazi to keep my undisciplined ass in line. And those are expensive.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2023, 10:20:15 AM »
Not to talk impolite numbers but I remember back in the day Windsurfing ~ Year 2000 was costing:

$50 to $75 per session.

In some parts of the world 20 sessions was a good count for a year.  Plan on spending $1,000 per year (@ $50 per session).

You want to go 100 times then maybe $5000 would be a good budget.  You can try to go more, but then you get better and want new gear, and break gear. . . .

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2023, 09:48:50 AM »
Not to talk impolite numbers but I remember back in the day Windsurfing ~ Year 2000 was costing:

$50 to $75 per session.

In some parts of the world 20 sessions was a good count for a year.  Plan on spending $1,000 per year (@ $50 per session).

You want to go 100 times then maybe $5000 would be a good budget.  You can try to go more, but then you get better and want new gear, and break gear. . . .

Yeah, I land in the 100-125 sessions a year category. I had never thought of quantifying it as a $$$ per session....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal