Author Topic: Compressed air tank for filling wing during downwinder foil SUP  (Read 2628 times)

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Compressed air tank for filling wing during downwinder foil SUP
« on: February 28, 2023, 04:05:39 AM »
Anybody have any beta on what is needed and how to fill a wing during a Downwinder SUP foil run. Conditions in Maine change often while downwinder foiling. On longer excursions, I thought bringing a lightweight carbon fiber canister of compressed air to fill a wing when those conditions change or my fatigue prevents me from paddling up onto foil. Basically a bailout when the miles get long. I would carry the wing and canister on my back while DW SUP foiling and only inflate my wing if needed. Just a thought, since other iterations of this have already occurred.
Thanks in advance. Paint ball tanks seem to be ideal. I have a high pressure pump(4000 psi) already.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Compressed air tank for filling wing during downwinder foil SUP
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 08:18:49 AM »
James Casey did it with a soda stream bottle. It provided 1 and a half or maybe 2 inflations. If you find the youtube, you can find the guy who made it for him who should be responsive to questions.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 08:54:44 AM »
Thanks, I'll start searching YouTube.

Hdip

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 10:06:59 AM »
Yes, thank you! Just watched it! That’s what it m looking for. I message James Casey to get some pics, but I’m sure I could piece something together. Just wanted to know what size bottle would work. The video shows it well! Thanks again!

jondrums

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2023, 03:03:56 PM »
strongly suggest using a paintball canister.  it'll be much lighter than a soda-stream and is plenty rugged.  you'll need to rig up your own pressure regulator, but it could all be very small, and likely fairly saltwater tolerant if you pick stainless/plastic fittings

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2023, 04:16:30 AM »
Have a look into the Black Diamond JetForce backpacks which inflate avalanche airbags by battery and electric pump.

I have no idea if the battery and pump are already waterproof or can be sealed off to be waterproof. Maybe shrinkwrap plastic around it or something. Or convince Black Diamond to make a waterproof version.

If it could be waterproofed you would have both the inflating system and the backpack to carry your wing in one already made pack. It would just need an extension to the airtube for pumping up and a connector to the wing.

https://youtu.be/4eBMuSfx_UI

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2023, 05:10:29 AM »
Have a look into the Black Diamond JetForce backpacks which inflate avalanche airbags by battery and electric pump.

I have no idea if the battery and pump are already waterproof or can be sealed off to be waterproof. Maybe shrinkwrap plastic around it or something. Or convince Black Diamond to make a waterproof version.

If it could be waterproofed you would have both the inflating system and the backpack to carry your wing in one already made pack. It would just need an extension to the airtube for pumping up and a connector to the wing.

https://youtu.be/4eBMuSfx_UI

That pump is designed for superquick inflation, i am not sure it will go up to the PSI's we need for a wing.

I once test inflated my ABS avy backpack (compressed air) but i cannot remember how hard the bags inflated...i think less than a wing.

SUPeter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2023, 09:30:25 AM »
Thanks all!  I have a paintball/small SCUBA tank with regulator coming in. Is Carbon Fiber so it should be light enough.  Also have enough adapters from my son's paintball days to rig it up. No need to fill it to 4500 psi. I'm sure I'll get 2-3 fills easily even with filling it to 3500 psi. This could make for some interesting downwinders. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 08:47:54 PM »
Wow, that's something I daydreamed about. At 2500 PSI you have about 150X whatever volume is in the tank. When I did a lot of scuba diving I carried a "Spare Air" tank, a little cylinder that had about 160 liters of air at 3000psi. I think you could easily get 1 fill with a tank that size, but maybe not two. I imagine the tank you have coming is bigger
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal