Author Topic: Naish Factory & GTW Construction - Good Choice?  (Read 2556 times)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Naish Factory & GTW Construction - Good Choice?
« on: January 11, 2023, 05:18:25 PM »
I read that Naish started producing their SUP boards in China starting in 2022 (and perhaps their other boards as well). Can anyone confirm this and have you noticed any quality issues?

The 9'0 x 29" Hokua looks like the perfect shape for my uses, but I am concerned about the GTW construction from a few posts that I've read over the years. I take good care of my gear, but I don't want to have to completely baby this thing. Should I be concerned about the quality of the GTW construction? Primarily worried about water intrusion from slight nicks or dings on the top of the board, then the board getting heavy/bubbling (happened to my 9'0 Nalu).

Thanks for your input!

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish Factory & GTW Construction - Good Choice?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 08:04:15 AM »

I have not used the new Hokua, but they have been producing some of their other boards in china for a long time and there is no issues that I can figure out.

The 9'0 hokua is my all time favorite board...as you might see from my profile. I am actually considering getting new one...its between that and the mad dog...ayyyy

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 05:41:30 PM »
Thanks for the reply and info, Tautologies. What year is your 9'0 Hokua that you like so much? There were 2 generations, the old Iggy pre-2016'ish and the newer Lopez shape.

BigZ

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 06:28:28 PM »
I had both 2019 GTW 9'0 and 9'6. Amazing shapes. 9'6 was the board I learned SUP surfing on. I "graduated" to 9'0 and it was one of the best shapes I have had. For reference, I am 240 pounds.

Unfortunately, I cannot say anything good about the construction. 9'6 delaminated rather quickly and needed to be warranted. 9'0 looked like it was just about to delaminate the same way so I got rid of it.

So my experience - amazing shapes, garbage construction - at least  2019 models.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 06:32:39 PM by BigZ »

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2023, 05:46:51 PM »
Thanks BigZ for the feedback. It's a bummer that Naish doesn't produce this shape in a high quality carbon. Apparently the 2023 Naish SUP boards will be announced soon. Hoping for new construction options, but I'm am not holding my breath. Naish used to be at the forefront of the SUP industry, it's sad to see that changing over the years, as they have really great shapes in their line-up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal