Author Topic: Modularity  (Read 14422 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Modularity
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2023, 01:32:03 PM »
I managed to get the heaters in and the thermostat installed in my goofy Bambu modification project. I was kind of racing to do it because we're having a Kona storm here in Maui and I expected the power to go out. It flickered a few times but I finished and powered down everything so electrical goblins wouldn't toast my toys. The heaters are just 25W each, so 100W total, but they seem to be doing a good job of raising the chamber temp. Of course, the heated bed of the printer will warm the chamber up to about 60C, the heaters are just to bump that a little higher and allow thermostatic control. It seems to be working. I mounted the heaters on a sheet of polycarbonate I had kicking around. If I was in Hood River it would be aluminum, but the PC should work fine.
I managed to burn a finger checking the temp of the heaters. Yup, they're hot, dummy. At least I didn't lick them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2023, 10:06:16 AM »
I'm starting to pack for the annual trek back from Bora Bora--we're coming back early so Diane can get her knees replaced (by the same Doc that has been refusing to replace mine for the last 12 years). I saved all the packing for the Big Bambu I've got here. It will be interesting reversing the unpacking order--using "interesting" in the most pejorative way.

I've already packed up six flat-rate boxes of electronics and related stuff. I accrete components like a coral reef--and just as messily. I'm trying to remember what I said about not starting any projects in Maui this year. I either have to gain a vast amount of discipline or stop making stupid pronouncements. Of course, returning to the temple of ADHD is not going to help, but at least I'll have better tools.

I am looking forward to low humidity. The color indicating desiccant pellets I'm using in my continuous filament dryer system turn from purple to pink (saturated with water) in less than a day. I'm redesigning the dryer with a more easily removable desiccant drawer, and of course, 3d printing the enclosure instead of hacking metal electrical boxes. I'm struggling to figure out why I didn't think of that in the first place. The new design is coming back as a set of .F3D files. Intellectual property costs a lot less to ship than even plastic bits.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2023, 11:04:33 AM »
These look pretty sweet.  I am nowhere near as fancy.  I just put extra packs on the unused rolls in the AWS or empty spaces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H_RfNi-UiU
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 11:06:19 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2023, 11:38:52 AM »
Clever, those little boxes will be a nice addition, and they can be filled with bulk desiccant instead of little packs with no indicating beads. The beads I have are a little bigger than 3mm, those slots are smaller than that. It's not nearly enough for dealing with Bora Bora humidity, and I suspect the summer in Hood River won't be much better. In winter, heating cold low-humidity air inside homes is more than enough to drop the relative humidity to the lip-cracking 15% level. I doubt we'll see that in summer.

My continuous dehumidifier pumps air at 50C into the AMS after passing it through about a pound of desiccant. The humidity of the air coming out of the dehumidifier is 10-12%, and the returning air with four spools of PA-CF fresh out of the package is 20-30%. No wonder my PA-CF prints looked like road tar. It takes at least six hours to drop the outlet humidity to 15%, but then it stays there as long as the dehumidifier runs. The filament is feeding into the extruder at 50C, which seems like it might be helpful.

PAHT grabs humidity about as well as desiccant--amazing. I haven't measured the difference between a wet and dry spool, but it's got to be more than 20-30 grams for a 1KG spool--I can feel the weight difference (or at least I'm convinced I can, my precision "bounce it in my hand" scale is notoriously influenced by my expectations).

I need to make more humidity monitors, I can connect 15+ sensors to an ESP32 and slap them everywhere. DHT11 or 22 sensors are about five bucks each, are smaller than a sugar cube, and also read temperature to 50C. Handy little buggers. I'll use MQTT and node-red to display temp and humidity on my iPhone. I knew all that work on my stupid motorhome project would pay off one day--too bad it's only helping with other stupid projects.

I'm halfway considering adding a Peltier cooling plate and drain for the inlet air impinge on and pre-dehumidify the air before it hits the desiccant. I think it's a very cool idea (pun intended) but a little towards the nutball end of the project spectrum. Then again, nutball should be my middle name. Still, cooling the air and then re-heating it is a bit weird.

Late news! In a stunning display of forethought, I appear to have not only saved all the packaging but labeled some of it as well. Unbelievable! Now if I can just remember what the numbers mean and what flat rate box I packed all my printer Allen keys into I can get this done.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 12:08:49 PM by PonoBill »

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2023, 06:40:11 AM »
Here is a video of a wing foiler flying without a rear stabilizer. It was a first try.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIk0Hn4tDtM

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2023, 04:47:20 PM »
This table has become the waiting line for glue, tube cutting, sand and screw.  There are 4 more completes  in the garage in various stages of readiness.  Hah!  Some new tail options as well.  I have done four of these infiitails in various configs, a top mount adaptor for production tails and a lot of conventional tail variations (angles and profiles). 

« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 01:31:19 PM by Admin »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2023, 10:39:57 AM »
These things look great! 

When are the test flights?

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2023, 01:30:08 PM »
Looking at the forecast, I am guessing May.  The weather guys keep delaying my spring.  :)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2023, 10:07:57 PM »
The ground is white from the mountain down to about 500 feet elevation. I keep looking at the water thinking "I've got a great wetsuit", but no. Just as well, my little KTM is all back together. When you take apart a motorcycle its good to put it back together before you forget where stuff goes.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2023, 01:29:41 AM »
I can do 44 degree water SUP/wing/windsurf, but on my belly and in learning mode, 50 sounds a whole lot nicer :).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal