Author Topic: Modularity  (Read 14431 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Modularity
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2023, 03:01:35 AM »
I am most of the way through printing the new 1150 / 920 with all of the new tube updates and hardware cavities. I am really happy with this thing.  It is rediculously stiff and strong and accurate.  I am waiting a disc sander for here to improve my tube end finish and tube length accuracy.  I am also waiting on the missing link hardware to arrive.  The carriers are way behind with this weather.

The guys at Vision Miner are stoked on my project and they are going to print my 1300 Hub in some of their big boy printers.  That hub is tricky because even at a 45 degree angle it maxes out the Bambu's printer dimensions.  Vision Miner has the high dollar, high temp, big print size machines, capable of printing some of the exotic materials that I cannot.  I am very interested to see what they come up with.

The guys at Bambu have the same hub with their engineering team in China.  Also interested to hear their take.  They are being super supportive.

I also ordered the PLA-CF that Bambu just dropped.  Along with the PAHT-CF that is coming, that wil give me 3 Carbon inclusive filiments to test here.

I will work on a video to cover weight, torsion, tube strength with options, part stength, modularity, linkages, etc.  That will be a March project.  :)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 03:12:55 AM by Admin »

Dontsink

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2023, 06:35:54 AM »
Out of curiosity,how much will they charge for that hub?.
Once you have a "design" polished and ready what would be your guesstimate for a  full front wing (without a home printer,ordering the pieces).

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2023, 06:52:04 AM »
Out of curiosity,how much will they charge for that hub?.
Once you have a "design" polished and ready what would be your guesstimate for a  full front wing (without a home printer,ordering the pieces).

I am not sure what they charge, but I imagine that would vary a lot based on the material and size as some of this stuff is super expensive while other stuff is very inexpensive.  Also the size of the piece will likely matter.  For this stage they just responded, "We'd love to give it a shot! Want to send over some STL's?".  I am also interested in their print services and will definately find out more about that as well.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 07:09:04 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2023, 08:09:37 AM »
Some printing progress images.  New 425 tail is finishing up now.  Still ongoing but a pretty morning :)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 08:42:07 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2023, 02:46:23 PM »
Yikes, it looks pretty cold in Hood River. We're having ridiculous wind storms accompanied by sideways rain. The wingfoiling has transitioned to Extreme Wingfoiling, even in the harbor. Maui 10 meter looks downright apocalyptic.

Your prints look amazing. I assume you are printing the wing sections vertically. I'm doing the same, though I've had to go back to square one because all my prints are blowing up. I think the filament is just too wet and my dryer can't keep up. Living in the tropics doesn't work well for 3D printing. I'm working on some solutions. Both a way to thoroughly dry filament initially and a way to keep it dry in the AMS. Since I'm no longer using separate support filaments I view the AMS as a handy storage system. I've got to do this or just wait to get back to a dry climate. My PAHT-CF prints look like they've got dermatitis.

I've also, unfortunately, discovered the youtube channel of a remarkable dutch lady who calls her channel Itchy Boots who has been traveling the world on a small adventure motorcycle--most recently the tip of Argentina to Barrow, Alaska. She looks like she'd fall apart at the first problem but she's tougher than a boiled goat. And she does a remarkable job of building videos while traveling solo. They look like she has a team of ten working with her, but it's just her, in the middle of nowhere.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2023, 03:20:08 AM »
Yes, we have not had a pleasant winter :).  The humidity in our house is 20-22%.  Filiment rolls can be left out with no problems.  I can't imagine the issues from printing in Tonga.  We may need to set up a dry room for summer. 

I am printing vertically on everything now.  If the layer adhesion is good then it is really a non issue for strength and the prints are so much better.  I am sure you know this, but anything that stops, runs out of filiment or even pauses for a few seconds is a tosser.  It will break for sure.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 04:04:30 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2023, 08:03:29 PM »
It lives. No, it's not Elon's latest robot. It's a filament dryer I added to the automatic Material System (AMS) of my Bambu Labs Carbon X1 3D printer. I don't have bulk desiccant yet, but it's on the way. For the three other people on the planet who might be remotely interested in doing this, I'm going to do a video on how I did it. I should mention first that it will kill your warranty dead, dead, dead. Of course, the other mods I've made to the printer have already done that, so who cares.
It's sitting there happily, varying between 53 and 57C while the little PTC heaters churn out the BTUs and shove them into the AMS

« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 08:05:14 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2023, 10:49:24 PM »
I love it!  I am getting a cool lost in space vibe from it.  Now chamber temps...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2023, 12:20:53 AM »
I may do the same thing for chamber temps. It's so controllable and I won't put anything in the chamber that might get in the way. I'm looking at the accessory fan plenum with fresh eyes. I took it out, but I'm thinking it might make an encore appearance with 80C air blowing out of it.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2023, 03:42:25 AM »
I may do the same thing for chamber temps. It's so controllable and I won't put anything in the chamber that might get in the way. I'm looking at the accessory fan plenum with fresh eyes. I took it out, but I'm thinking it might make an encore appearance with 80C air blowing out of it.

Sweet, I can't wait to see it.   I think we may have to slow print speeds down above 70 degrees.  The only two spagetti instances I have had were at those temps, but I was gaining heat quickly and entirely out of control so, make of that what you will.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2023, 07:09:03 PM »
I've solved the interrupts print thing pretty well. A combination of the heated chamber and heated, dry filament. I bring all the temperatures back up to normal before restarting. I think putting cold filament in a hot extruder might not be the greatest thing ever. I'm keeping the filament temperature about 60C +/- 5 and the chamber at 70C. These modified GoPro clamp screws (longer to clear the media mod better and bigger knob so it's easier to turn with gloves) were printing in straight Polycarbonate when the filament ran out. I switched to grey PC and restarted. I assumed they'd break at the filament change line, so I tested. Nope--failed in the orange and I really had to herk on it. You're right--the part orientation hardly matters when the chamber is heated.

I suspect we can tune out stringing by playing with retraction. Oddly enough, too much retraction causes as many issues as too much.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 07:13:57 PM by PonoBill »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2023, 02:39:46 AM »
Here is my smaller hub pictured with my first two wingtip options.  In the spirit of modularity, these two wingtips also fit the larger hub that I had posted earlier for a total of 4 size options.  So, that will be a  1300, 1150, 1070 and 920 which, including the fuselage and tail wings, can all fit in a small carry-on bag.

PS: That is V2 of my 500 tail, now complete.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2023, 02:42:02 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2023, 06:49:10 PM »
Sweet. That looks amazing. I'm fairly happy with the most recent print though it revealed some design flaws I should have addressed long ago. If you look close to the fuselage You'll see depressions where the tubes come too close to the wing surface. The problem is that I lined the tips of the asymmetric and cambered wing foil up with the tips of the symmetric foil of the root. That makes top junction too thin where the wing foil meets to root on the top of the fuse, while the bottom gets thicker as it sweeps to the root. The solution is to just position the wing foil down a few mm instead of lining up tip to tip. Oh well. The print worked great. The filament dryer is great, and I beefed up the box insulation as well. It holds 60C steady as a rock when I preheat and cover the door. My plan now is to put four silicone heat pads in the bottom of the chamber and thermostatically control the temperature by bumping it to 70-75C. I reinstalled the aux cooling fan to circulate the heated air and eliminate cold spots.

I wrote the code for ramping temperature down, but haven't built the controller. I got 6 nice little digital PID temp controllers for next to nothing (like two for five bucks) on Amazon. I can't buy the required microcontroller for what these things cost. I can do a simplified cooldown ramp by just sequentially timing two of them preset to different temps and letting the chamber coast down in between steps.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 06:50:58 PM by PonoBill »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2023, 02:12:41 AM »
Bill!  Sweet.  You need to post your mods to one of the Bambu sites (Reddit, Discord, etc) as a not so subtle hint for a future model.  They could do this and take great to the next level.  I really like the PAHT-CF as well but I need to cool down the bed a little.  I am hoping 80 does it.  Even at 90 I am getting a subtle base bulge of about .5mm.  But as I cool down the base I lose chamber temp so I will be using my hut again.  Using the bed to control chamber temp is BS.  This is all fine but it is a huge time suck.  Printing is by far the most time consuming part of this process.  I told Bambu that I would love to see them do a $5,000.00 machine.  If they increased the dims, insulated, isolated, circulated and controlled temp, and nudged up the durability of the high wear parts, we could move this project into hyperdrive. 

I have a ton of stuff designed waiting to print.   Whine, whine, whine
« Last Edit: March 07, 2023, 02:15:35 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2023, 10:03:55 AM »
The silicone heaters should be here today. I've been wanting to drop the bed temp, but higher chamber temp seems to help everything. Though my most recent print has a ridiculously rough surface and I'm not sure what changed. PAHT-CF prints also close the holes down more than straight PC. I've been using the parameter holeSize = tubeSize +.5mm for all the holes but with PAHT it's more like 1mm. And the more material that surrounds the hole, the bigger the correction needs to be. I need an integral parameter approach that could calculate that, but it would mean dusting off my Kahn Academy math classes for a few weeks.

NO! That was torture the last time, and apparently, I've forgotten it all again either because I never used it or my brain is turning to Amyloid Plaque.

Either is possible.

I'll just measure and fudge. Story of my life.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal