Author Topic: Modularity  (Read 14423 times)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Fatboy Test
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2023, 01:39:29 PM »
Hmmm. I'm not sure why this isn't just showing up as a video.

https://youtube.com/shorts/FZjyRuSDDwU
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 01:43:47 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Re: Modularity
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2023, 05:51:51 PM »
This is part of what I was mentioning about sample inconsistancy.  This fellow did some FLIR images of the bed and the enclosures for the X1 and X1C.  Correcting this with tape fixed a lot.  I still have to tape the rear fan vents.  With that I should be fine.  Insulation may be overkill but I am going to try it with caution.  There are a lot of factors to this.

https://3dprintbeginner.com/bambu-lab-x1-carbon-review/

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2023, 06:05:15 PM »
I have been beating the strength drum pretty hard but there is some resistance to this info.  Even the fuselage is at full overkill level.  I am already downsizing the fuselage tubes and reducing the tube structure in the front foils.  Strength, flex, torsion, etc will not be a problem.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2023, 01:43:10 AM »
I printed and installed the parts to isolate the electronics bay from the build chamber. It's working pretty well. I need to put some thermistors near the mainboard to see what kind of temperature differential I get with the isolation parts. I did a rough measurement with the thermistor that came with my multimeter but I didn't callibrate it so I don't think it's very accurate. Still, with 51C in the build chamber I read 39C in the electronics bay. I have several PTC heaters on the way, I may not need a circulating fan, but I'm definitely not going to punch holes in the case like I've seen some folks do to different printer enclosures. It doesn't make sense to heat up cold air and pump it into the box.

I think 80C will be safe to shoot for though for long print runs the electronics bay might get too hot. Worst case I'll put a little fan to pressurize the bay with ambient air--or add Peltier cooling. Small Peltier refrigeration units are super cheap on Amazon but I'd probably need to butcher the pretty case.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2023, 05:14:28 AM »
Check this out.  I just reworked the new hub that goes on the 1150 and the 920 Alien Wings.  Those are the 2nd and last images in my first post of this thread.  It is now prepped for the Missing Link allen head nut sleeves that are coming in the mail, the new tube sizes and the new, smaller fuselage port (now using a 16mm fuselage with full carbon ferrule on both ends.).  The tail wing connection is completely reworked with a carbon ferrrule as well now (but that will be a different post). 

This hub is really easy to print as it is so much smaller than the 1300/1020 hub (which uses the whole build plate corner to corner). 

That means we should have at least two ride-ready wings this month.  Very stoked on that.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 05:17:37 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2023, 10:00:12 AM »
Very slick. I've been reworking my wing root as well. I made it smaller some time ago but I went too far on the mast attachment, I need to beef that up. I have some flex in the carbon rods when I move my weight back--absolutely none shifting forward, not measurable with my primitive telltale gauge (a chunk of modeling clay under the root). I'm moving the mast attachment up to give some space for tubes further back in the root to pass under it and directly support the rear edge. The weather sucks here which has been good for forward progress, bad for water time. Another stormy Monday. Brown water at Ka'a.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2023, 09:02:38 PM »
I'm fairly pleased with this little hot chamber side project so far. After some basic testing, I've confirmed to my satisfaction that higher chamber temperatures are critical for printing larger objects with precision. I added Reflectix thin insulation along with barriers to isolate the electronics before I bump the temperatures higher.

Reflectix is basically aluminum foil sheets on both sides of polyethylene bubbles. The melting point for Polyethylene is 100 to 150C. I'll have plenty of cushion. It catches fire at about 360C.

With just the insulation I'm up to 52C with a bed temperature of 100C, and the current print job is just at the first layer. Even more impressive is how long the chamber temperature stays above 50C when the previous print finished--well over an hour. The bed cooled very slowly and took almost an hour to drop below 60C. The electronics bay got up to a maximum of 38C (it's 26C in my garage) but dropped back down to 32C as soon as the print finished. I'm reasonably confident I can heat the chamber to 70C without problems. If that's adequate it's as far as I'll go. I received three forced air PTC heaters, a 400W power supply and the temperature control module today. I tested the calibration of the temp control and its spot on.

The orange thing in the pictures is a gate for keeping hot air out of the electronics bay. The wiring for the heated bed has to move up and down with the bed, so I couldn't just box it in. It's basically two L-shaped overlapping forms with an EVA flap to seal as much as possible without hindering movement. I tried overlapping the insulation on the inside as well, but it dragged on the Z-axis too much.

The door covering is funky, just held closed with painter's tape. I'll probably do something with magnets.

The current print--a PA-CF version of the newest wing root--looks gorgeous so far.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 09:24:49 PM by PonoBill »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2023, 06:22:33 AM »
Nice Bill!  That can only help.  Are you plugging the chute?  If you are supporting with the same material as the print, the chute is not needed.  It is a huge open tubed and it sucks in cool air.  That was key for me.  Also preheating for a long time. 

The taping, plugging, print position in chamber, and print settings alone, will for sure get you there on your current part.  You can get flat bases and no smiling from that, although it takes a lot of fiddling.  Your additions may make that less sensitive. 

That said, I bet Bambu relaeases a slightly larger, better sealed version.  That is really all we need for this material.  It is too easy for them to do it.

I am very interested to see what the high end high temp firms can do with our files in larger machines and with materials above our temp ranges (500 C, etc).  That would also let me print one piece tails in any size and it would allow my wingtips (now two parts)  and hubs (now 3 parts) to print in one shot.  Not necessary but it would be great to see. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 09:22:21 AM by Admin »

finbox

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2023, 08:46:31 AM »
Hi,
I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsEA_m3rJfo&t=591s - it shows FORD making a car part with 3D printing - The interesting part is the printer it is a liquid pool of plastic that the part is printed from as it rises out of the pool. It eliminates the print lines of hobby printers. Perhaps you could send your wing out to be printed using this method.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2023, 03:58:53 PM »
I have a Formlabs SLS machine like this video describes, though I'm sure Ford's is fancier. The print intricate, high resolution parts that are very pretty, but not strong.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2023, 06:34:20 PM »
Little pink houses.

That was fun.  My kiln certainly works :).  It just kept climbing.  Even with no back, I hit 77 degrees and it was still going up when I hit the brakes.  Probably not worth a bit of print flexibility but illuminating anyways.  I will likely use it, but put on at the last minutes of print to slow cooldown only. 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 06:38:40 PM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2023, 07:07:44 PM »
No back is a good idea, you'd toast your electronics otherwise. Most of the electronics (power supply, main board, etc.) is on the lower right side facing the machine from the back. But there's another strip of electronics inside the chamber on the top rail on the right side. There's a black plastic cover over it. I don't know what it is, but it looks important.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2023, 01:45:54 AM »
No back is a good idea, you'd toast your electronics otherwise. Most of the electronics (power supply, main board, etc.) is on the lower right side facing the machine from the back. But there's another strip of electronics inside the chamber on the top rail on the right side. There's a black plastic cover over it. I don't know what it is, but it looks important.

Yes, I have had the whole thing apart for fan replacement.  The bottom 2/3 of the back stays cool from the outside, but the top 1/3 gets hot, but remains comfortable to touch.  The print looked fine but, this hub is an easy print. This is supposed to reduce initial stress but, who knows? 

It will be here for cooldown, further testing and selective use.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 01:47:39 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2023, 03:28:33 AM »
Now that the fuselage attachments on both ends are hollow ferrules, I am liberated to try all kinds of impermanent internal attachments.  This is going to be scheme # 1. Internal threading with an adjuster collar for fine angle tuning and hard lock point.

PS, I ordered a case of the new PAHT-CF.  I like the sounds of higher bending modulus Z axis.  Really low absorbtion issues plus, better adhesion, 1kg rolls is super helpful.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 09:40:51 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2023, 07:43:19 AM »
Hold the phone.  Whole new level.  I am linking the hardware from the fuse directly into a custom designed mast head (aluminum -for now- adaptor that will fit Cedrus, Axis,  and all other adaptor based mast systems) that will also allow all of my Carbon wing tubes (except the pull rod) and the fuselage to become one with the mast.  That means mast loads spead across 25 inches of wing by four inches of width and the fuse being tied to the aluminum head as well.  It will also completely eliminate mast wiggle. More soon...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2023, 09:14:52 AM by Admin »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal