Author Topic: Progress, revelations and musings  (Read 14712 times)

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Progress, revelations and musings
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2023, 11:13:08 PM »
Jeeze Bill! You may not kill yourself but you may die trying.😜

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2023, 06:49:17 AM »
Meanwhile, I have been amusing myself with openai stuff. 

What a beautiful writer!  Problematic in a way, because it sounds so authoritative and definitive even when incorrect.  Mind blowing though, and in three years? 

Q: To what degree can flow remain laminar on a swept hydrofoil wing?

A: Laminar flow over a swept hydrofoil wing is possible, but it depends on several factors such as the angle of sweep, the angle of attack, and the Reynolds number of the flow.

When a hydrofoil wing is swept, the direction of the flow over the wing is also swept, which can lead to flow separation and turbulence. However, if the angle of sweep is small, and the angle of attack is within a certain range, the flow can remain laminar over the wing.

The Reynolds number of the flow is also an important factor. At low Reynolds numbers, the flow is more likely to be laminar, while at higher Reynolds numbers, the flow is more likely to become turbulent.

Overall, while it is possible for laminar flow to occur on a swept hydrofoil wing, it is not guaranteed and depends on various factors.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2023, 07:56:16 AM »
Yeah, it's almost useful, even when it's full of shit. Have you tried Midjourney yet? Equally mindblowing. You need to sign up for Discord first, which is a portal into the minds of juvenile gamers--not a pretty sight.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2023, 08:08:14 AM »
Yeah, it's almost useful, even when it's full of shit. Have you tried Midjourney yet? Equally mindblowing. You need to sign up for Discord first, which is a portal into the minds of juvenile gamers--not a pretty sight.

Yes, Midjouney and GauGAN are nuts.  Am I the only one who hates Discord?  What a mess!  Bambulabs has their community there and it is essentially unusable.

My young cousin Max just did this text to image generator:  http://aibyu.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/
Not sure which service he tapped, but this is all coming for sure.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2023, 08:15:46 AM »
Also check out this crazy shit.  Not just because of Rivian Love :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae1bOg8vHAo

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2023, 01:07:11 PM »
Guys, guys, you're drifting. Who has ridden on of these prototypes.

NDA Hdip and I. I'll pay shipping. Send whatever you have to us right now and we will ride it and tell you to stop or keep going.

We promise not to break it unless you tell us to. And we will only post what you want us to publicly.

Otherwise grab anyone in Hood and send em out and tell us if both wings broke off at the fuse. If not, it's a giant success. (You can test with a tiny human, it's cool.)

End the suspense. The builders here need to know if we get to be smug or shut up and applaud you. (Hoping for the latter.)  Zoners, add your votes if you support me on this.

Do it, do it, do it, do it! Hahaha

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2023, 08:22:56 PM »
I looked at Admins wings today. they are not going to break. In the unlikely event they flex too much we can bag on a layer or two of carbon and have a structure that should be as strong as any foam cored wing with a zillion layers of carbon.

Anyway, summer is coming. These things will be wet soon.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2023, 03:40:28 AM »
Hah!  Still chugging away behind the scenes.  Bambu discontinued my most used filiment, so I had to find a replacement.  Long term, this will make everything easier and the tolerances improved a lot but everything needed to be printed again to make any refinements (which keep coming).  Long story short, a lot of printing and refining. 

We are going to have a lot of stuff to test this spring including a variety of airfoils, airfoil combos, vortices reduction schemes, tail configs, etc.

This is one of those subjects that is awesome because it can be a lifelong study.  Even so, we will have plenty of kit to muck with when the water says yes.  It has been dumping in the mountains here, and the Hood River (which empties at the Event Site) is a Slushy.  We have a bit to wait still...

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2023, 05:49:11 PM »
Pretty much going to have to come up there this summer and see.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2023, 10:20:20 AM »
Pretty much going to have to come up there this summer and see.

Yup.

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2023, 11:04:47 AM »
It will be amazing to see how it all works out.
 So much easier to send wires down a mast directly to the foil . Then be able to put RC units in the foil

tarquin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2023, 01:22:28 PM »
For some reason 3D printing foils comes up all the time now?? Anyhow there is a guy in Australia printing and testing different fins for windsurfers. He found the rougher printed fins had better grip?
 So if you print a foil change the texture on one side to the other. Create a bigger pressure difference?
 This has been tried but dosen't mean it cant work.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2023, 09:42:15 AM »
For some reason 3D printing foils comes up all the time now?? Anyhow there is a guy in Australia printing and testing different fins for windsurfers. He found the rougher printed fins had better grip?
 So if you print a foil change the texture on one side to the other. Create a bigger pressure difference?
 This has been tried but dosen't mean it cant work.

Sweet.  Please post a link to his fins.  Those are an ideal size, even for small printers.  I would love to see those.  No need to join anything and you could really dial in tip flex.  I used to love a whippy tip on wave fins. 

With my new material the prints are so consistant and easy that I can print two tail foils at the same time.  For smaller fins (345 mm and down), this means a lot of variations with no joining (which is time consuming).  They come out super clean.  I printed 8 variations yesterday of a single tail (4 different airfoils at two incidence angles for each).  Two of the airfoils are symetrical and two are lightly cambered. 

This is where this gets super cool and fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal