Author Topic: First time out in a while ..forgot how fun it was  (Read 4571 times)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
First time out in a while ..forgot how fun it was
« on: February 01, 2023, 06:04:12 AM »
With wing foiling consuming 99% of my time and loving it, a calm day with long period swells got me back on my SUP for the first time in a year.  Had a fun clean session in Melbourne Beach, FL  with friends.  It was a lot of fun, and brought back memories.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 06:12:46 AM by Caribsurf »
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: First time out in a while ..forgot how fun it was
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 08:45:41 AM »
That's awesome Don. I've been wanting to get back out on the SUP lately. I think I only surfed about six times last year. Is that the old JL Kwad you're riding in the video?   8)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 08:51:38 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 09:54:13 AM »
hey Badger, ya the 8'7x29" JL Kwaad..still a fun board and catches waves surprisingly easily for such a short board. I felt a bit out of shape for SUP surfing, but had a blast

so funny how these days I pray for wind for foiling...been out in some decent sized non breaking swells and loving it.   hope you are well and keeping warm!

Don
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 05:19:49 PM »
I'm trying to do the same. We had a lot less wind in January than usual, so recently I decided to start SUP surfing again instead of SUP foiling. I've been having problems getting up on my SUP foil board with my knee getting so stiff--back to the PTs for me. But I can get up on my SUP surf board, though I'm a little slow. So I stuck it on the roof of my surfmobile...  ...and we immediately got torrential rain for three days. I tried to find someplace to surf today and wound up driving all over, looking at brown water.

Ah, well, it will pass. Of course, as soon as the water clears up the wind will come up. We addicts have a tough time of it sometimes.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

B-Walnut

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2023, 09:05:00 PM »
I'm pretty deeply divided in my time! I greatly prefer SUP surfing in the winter for Oregon. Summertime though, ocean winging and river kiting, it stretches me pretty thin!

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 09:01:55 AM »
Looks like it was a nice session. Pure glass and sunshine! That's quality stoke!
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

supthecreek

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 04:50:08 AM »
Hi Don,
Stoked to see you back on board.... I always loved your style!
I was thinking as you popped off the back that you looked like you were very comfortable on your board.

I was surfing on the same stretch of beach with two other Zoners that day.
Pquidry and RbGar!

I bought a house in Palm Bay that needs a total rehab job, so I am dedicated to making it a home, but I'm starting to hit the beach more now that I have done the nasty cleanup part of the rehab!

I never left SUP surfing and love it with undying passion!

Shoot me a text if you want to meet up for a session, it would be really nice to see you again!

We were a bit late the day of your video, so the wind had turned light onshore, but still fun  :)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 01:00:32 PM »

I bought a house in Palm Bay that needs a total rehab job, so I am dedicated to making it a home, but I'm starting to hit the beach more now that I have done the nasty cleanup part of the rehab!

Creek! Did you move or is this just an investment in a winter retreat???

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2023, 05:52:03 AM »

Hey Creek! Great news you bought a place down here.  We have to get together. I am in Vero Beach but only shore pound here so I usually head up Melbourne way .  I’ve been so into foiling ocean and flat water, that I don’t SUP much, but had a blast last week.  Knowing you are around, I’d be happy to surf more.  I leave Tuesday for 3 weeks down to Grenadines but back in March ..
I do enjoy my 8’7” Jimmy Lewis Kwad..a little sluggish compared to my Hobie Raw, but I am not in the best SUP shape and like the additional width and volume.   Looking forward to meeting up...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 05:56:06 AM by Caribsurf »
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

supthecreek

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2023, 07:55:34 AM »

Creek! Did you move or is this just an investment in a winter retreat???

ha ha... investment?
Denton, you are talking about Creek here!  ;D

this is a sheer survival....
an opportunity, that I jumped on with both feet!
I can't afford rent anywhere in America, so this guarantees me a place to live for the rest of my life.

It's "the house that nobody would buy"... in my number 1 choice neighborhood, that I have been eyeing for years!
I got it for 20% of neighborhood value!

I am currently in full demo mode, ripping it down to the floor joists, evicting the rats and starting over.
But I own a great piece of land, with no stupid HOA's, rent or restrictions, only 10 minutes from my favorite Secret surf spot!!!

I will always be on Cape Cod from Memorial Day till late October, then Florida for the winter.... sooo stoked to have found this opportunity!

Maybe I will make a post about it....
here are some teaser pictures  :)

the real story is the houses behind the dumpster.... it's a very nice neighborhood!

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2023, 07:58:45 AM »

Hey Creek! Great news you bought a place down here.  We have to get together. I am in Vero Beach but only shore pound here so I usually head up Melbourne way .  I’ve been so into foiling ocean and flat water, that I don’t SUP much, but had a blast last week.  Knowing you are around, I’d be happy to surf more.  I leave Tuesday for 3 weeks down to Grenadines but back in March ..
I do enjoy my 8’7” Jimmy Lewis Kwad..a little sluggish compared to my Hobie Raw, but I am not in the best SUP shape and like the additional width and volume.   Looking forward to meeting up...

Great Don, I just texted you.
Very stoked to surf with you again!

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2023, 08:06:35 AM »
Congratulations Creek.

I never got sucked into the foil thing and kept on SUP ING. Still having a ball. I was just discussing the other day with a few of my holdout friends that there seems to be more SUP ers showing up lately and we're more acceptable. 

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 07:39:37 PM »
"I kept throwing away my new home"... love it. Been there!

Congratulations on the new path. Looks fun!  ... in a lots of work sort of fun...
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal