Author Topic: The Gorge  (Read 27710 times)

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: The Gorge 2023
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2023, 08:06:51 AM »
Finally a rest day. We are exhausted!

It’s been another epic July here so far. Many Arlington sessions. Love the heat and swell out there.

Finally tried Mosier. A great place to escape the weekend contest crowds at the Event site. The swell is decent when it’s 3.5 wind. On the 5.5 days, the swell is about like the Banana River in Florida.

Monday, I thought I’d take it easy and ride the Event Site, instead of going to Arlington and riding a 3m. My bad hip is getting a beating. Haha on me. The Event Site wore me out. I had a blast trying prototypes with Ken.

Today, I all my body parts need replaced. Thought about hiking to some falls. But that might kill my already dead tired legs. Sucks being old. Maybe we’ll drive the scenic highway. At least I can do that sitting.

Great problems to have. Love being here. Gotta get it before the body gives out. 69 and feeling like 90.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: The Gorge
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2023, 08:27:27 AM »
Tell me about it. Between riding dirt bikes and wing foiling I ache pretty much all the time. I'm trying to force myself to paddle OC6 in the early morning and get on a SUP for downwinding sometimes. I think both are great for conditioning. So far my body is overruling my head. 76 feeling like 105.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2023, 08:49:46 AM »
Forgot to mention the fantastic piece of kit I picked up at the ProMotion store.

The “zip front” fuzzy lined top. OMG, the prefect level of warmth for the Gorge. No wetsuit required. No arm fatigue. Zippered with wind block.

I have the non zip top back in Florida. Forgot to bring it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 09:25:50 AM by Dwight (DW) »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2023, 09:41:33 AM »
Forgot to mention the fantastic piece of kit I picked up at the ProMotion store.

The “zip front” fuzzy lined top. OMG, the prefect level of warmth for the Gorge. No wetsuit required. No arm fatigue. Zippered with wind block.

I have the non zip top back in Florida. Forgot to bring it.

That is cool.  I have been using this light wing vest for a little coverage and some float.  With neoprene shorts it is great for summer.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2023, 06:01:40 PM »
I never ride without a kiters impact jacket.

My buddy spent 3 weeks in the hospital because he rides without one. His ribs landed on the rail. Punctured lung and many broken ribs. Doctor spent 3 weeks trying to re-inflate his lung. It required surgery.

Our lame no wind day.

https://youtu.be/d0aA18kgkuI
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 06:04:47 PM by Dwight (DW) »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2023, 07:41:07 PM »
I've broken ribs several times (motorcycle racing) and cracked my breastbone down the middle. My doc says my X-rays look like I've had open heart surgery. I wear an impact vest even for surfing (which looks a bit lame, but at 76, I'm simply not going to look cool) because my doc said a severe impact to my breastbone would open me up like a spatchcocked chicken. I think he's exaggerating, but it's working, I wear the vest.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2023, 06:39:51 PM »
We finally made it to The Wall today. Interesting place. It looked like 3.5-4m winger wind. Clouds came and wind switched N by the time we got done exploring, so never did get wet.

It sort of looked like the wave was slightly better at marker 41. Did not see anything bigger than other Gorge spots we’ve ridden. Less crowded than Rufus, so that’s a plus.

Mosier has been mighty fine for clean, organized surf lines in 3.5m wind. Had a few epic days there. Super long flagged out rides. Fewer slappers and twin tips ruining waves, than some other spots. The Gorge is definately best when you find the spots with less traffic.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2023, 08:52:38 PM »
The Gorge is definately best when you find the spots with less traffic.

Always.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2023, 12:52:10 PM »
We finally made it to The Wall today. Interesting place. It looked like 3.5-4m winger wind. Clouds came and wind switched N by the time we got done exploring, so never did get wet.

It sort of looked like the wave was slightly better at marker 41. Did not see anything bigger than other Gorge spots we’ve ridden. Less crowded than Rufus, so that’s a plus.

Mosier has been mighty fine for clean, organized surf lines in 3.5m wind. Had a few epic days there. Super long flagged out rides. Fewer slappers and twin tips ruining waves, than some other spots. The Gorge is definately best when you find the spots with less traffic.

Glad that you visited that area.  What seperates the Wall (and Arlington and 3 Mile) is the beautiful slopey swells that form and hold as the wind builds.  It just keeps getting bigger and better. 

We lived in Mosier for two years overlooking the River.  Along with Viento, I would say the most usable days of any spot.  Pleasant group, easy launch, and room to wander. 

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2023, 06:17:21 PM »
Yesterday (July 25) Mosier was out of control 3m. It was wild to see the water angry and the beautiful surfy waves turned into a hot mess.

The 3.5m day we had there last week, had beautiful surf all day. I guess there is a wind limit for Mosier being great.

Arlington and 3 mile would have been the better choice. But who knew, they totally blew the forecast.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2023, 05:11:37 PM »
Rode Event Site today. First time there in 2 weeks. Wow, my standards are becoming that of a grumpy old man. 4m wind with pig slop for waves.

Back to the clean waves at Mosier tomorrow.  haha….

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal