Author Topic: Hotel advice Hawaii please.  (Read 2684 times)

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Hotel advice Hawaii please.
« on: December 26, 2022, 03:36:01 AM »
Guys,

Looking at Maui or Oahu in july/August. Last in maui '86 and '89 windsurfing!

I need a really nice 5* hotel for the family that I can wing from or is close to a spot for wingfoiling.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Mike

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Hotel advice Hawaii please.
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2022, 08:19:29 AM »
You're going to be driving to wing. The nice hotels are on the south or west side, the best winging is north shore and sometimes noth kihei (which is basically west of where the hotels are). It's not a crazy distance, Wailea to Ka'a or Kanaha is about 17 miles and takes about 30 minutes to drive. Kaanapali to Ka'a is about 30 miles, takes 45 minutes. There are a few hotels on the North shore, but they are either stunningly expensive (like the Inn at Mamas), expensive and small (Paia Inn), or purely functional--the two hotels on Kahalui Harbor.

If the wind is just right the south shore lights up and you can wing anywhere along the shore, from Ma'alea to Makena Landing. But that's iffy.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2022, 01:02:17 PM »
One thing to remember about wind on Maui is that it's a small island with huge variations in weather and wind from place to place. Two mountains (volcanos) with a flat area in between means the wind wraps around the mountains and can reverse or just change angle relative to the shore and thermals on the mountains double down on the weirdness. Take a look at this map and zoom in on just Maui and you'll get a good idea of why this is complex. It's also why Maui has such good wind--trades plus mountains plus thermals.
https://www.pacioos.hawaii.edu/weather/model-wind-hawaii/
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

bigmtn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2022, 03:27:50 PM »
Turtle Bay, Oahu

can wing next to hotel, or just down the road in either direction are some other options, just lighter winds than Maui

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2022, 06:00:13 PM »
Looking at Maui or Oahu in july/August. Last in maui '86 and '89 windsurfing!

July August is when the wind is best.  Stay in Kihei/Makena.  I'd avoid the west side for wind sports.  The trades blast almost every day in the summer.  The west side of the island is dead in the lee of the trades.  It's usually violently offshore over there.

South shore is less well known for wind, but it's very good almost every day in the summer.  South shore starts later in the afternoon, usually about 2.  If you want to go earlier, drive over to Kanaha.

Here's a clip from last August - blasting over 40 on the south shore.  I had to pause and have a look at the shape of the waves, it was something else.  Wind usually shuts down at the beginning of Wailea, that's where we usually stop.  Makena landing is a longer run and usually more popular with the outriggers - alpha foilers.  The trades wrap all the way around Haleakala all summer.  If you go south from Wailea, you will get trades coming from the south.  That wind is what shuts down the wind in Kihei/Makena on a typical day.   

https://youtu.be/mQZTVp5Alig   

Here's a day in July, off and on wind gusting over 50.  So fun 

https://youtu.be/rZ5OMt3NzbM
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 06:12:43 PM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2022, 12:50:57 PM »
Thanks guys ,so stay on the West of Maui and drive or what about Oahu. My wife likes the kahala resort on Oahu a bit south of the airport, any wind that side?

Mike

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2022, 01:17:47 PM »
Mike - the Kahala Hotel has great wind almost every day in the summer. Summer brings bigger waves to South Shore, if too big go to North Shore. It's a super fun little break.
You can wing out front, they even do lessons on the inside. Advanced riding you have to navigate the reef but once out your good to go. Hit me up for specifics on how to get out and i can point you in the right direction.   There is a thermal that works there almost daily.

The Kahala Hotel &...

https://www.kahalaresort.com
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 01:53:35 PM by GOTWAVZ »
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2022, 03:57:43 PM »
Thanks guys ,so stay on the West of Maui and drive or what about Oahu. My wife likes the kahala resort on Oahu a bit south of the airport, any wind that side?

Mike

I like the Kahala too, nice casual restaurant, right on the beach, and there's plenty for the kids to do. It's about 1/3 of the way along the Hawaii Kai downwind run so the wind is good, and probably very good in July. The biggest problem with using it as a home base for wingfoiling is the reef--it's sandy right onshore but it gets shallow with lots of rock and coral heads further out, enough so that it's a bit tricky paddling out with a SUP, never mind a foil. You'll have to figure out a way to launch. I'm not sure where you'd manage to do that. My wife and I stayed there twice, and I did some shortened Hawaii Kai runs starting from the hotel. You'd definitely want to hit up Gotwavz for how to make that work.

As Larry (La Perouse) said, The south side of Maui is good in summer. I'm mostly in Maui during the winter, so I tend to think in those terms. You can probably wingfoil right off the beach at the Four Seasons, Kea Lani, or Andaz. Those beaches are where we finish for downwind runs when we don't continue on to Makena Landing.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 03:59:32 PM by PonoBill »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2022, 06:41:44 PM »
Thanks guys ,so stay on the West of Maui and drive/

/snip/   

Mike

No, don't stay on the West side of Maui (probably a typo on your part).  Traffic is getting bad on Maui, the West side is closer to an hour each way to the north shore, Wailea is 30 minutes to Kanaha - if you avoid rush hour.

If you come to Maui, stay in Wailea.
They launch at Ulua Beach, in the afternoons.  It's where we finish our downwind runs, I see wingers all the time.

No south swells to worry about.  Our south shore actually faces west, so it's nothing like the south shore of Oahu (regarding summer south shore surfing).

https://goo.gl/maps/GvdSdCDnJobyNGpV7
Support your local shaper

Mike dubs

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2022, 03:25:49 AM »
Thanks guys.

GOTWAVZ, I'll definitely contact you if we book it. What sort of wind can I expect regarding wings/board size?

Mike

VB_Foil

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • @foilgraham Insta
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2022, 03:19:33 PM »
My wife and I just stayed at Turtle Bay recently. We both loved the resort and I was able to wing at various spots within 10-30 minutes drive. Coulda winged next to resort had I talked to Bigmtnbill earlier in my stay. He helped out a bunch. 
I’m a 5’9” 65kg rider:

Boards:
   4' 27L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4’5” 34L Armstrong FG Wing/Surf
   4'11" 60L Armstrong Wing/Sup

Foils: Armstrong HA525, HS625, HA725, HA925, HS1050, HA1125, HS1250, HA1325
Wings: BRM 2M & 3M, FreeWing Nitro 4M, OR 5M & 7M Glide

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal